Waterproof Seat Covers???

Ricky B

Wiiide Open
Ok so everywhere I look for waterproof seat covers i find seat covers made of wetsuit material, in particularly neoprene. Does this mean they are waterproof? As In I could leave them out in the rain and the seat underneath would not get wet? Reason I ask is because wetsuit material is not actually waterproof, it absorbs water and holds a certain amount in to keep the body at a warmer temperature. So the statement that the seat covers are made out of wetsuit material is kind of misleading since if the seat covers absorb and hold in water like a wetsuit would, would that not be even worse than a nylon seat cover that would quickly air out?

Thanks

I had my seats covered by a local guy. He used marine grade vinyl. Have noticed zero leaks. $200 and I have been very happy with them.

Yea that would work, good idea. Just not really in the budget, lol. The whole wetsuit thing is whats kinda confusing me, cause one website seatglovers.com says there seat covers are 100% waterproof yet they are made out of the wetsuit materail neoprene which isnt waterproof last time i checked?

I even emailed them this question and they never answered back, lol.

vinyl is the best option...

the neoprene covers do exactly what you think...hold a nice amount of water for you to plop down on...

I think some of them have a backing on them, so your actual seats stay dry, but the outer layer indeed traps water...

if not properly taken care of, they also fade really bad, and can dry rot so the stitching comes apart...just like a wet suit...

Greg

Neoprene is waterproof, that statement is 100% accurate..... the deal is it is waterproof to your seats, not your butt. neoprene holds water, but restricts it from going through the inner layer. the best options for keeping your but dry are Leather or Vinyl.

My CJ is out in the elements 24-7, with a bikini top as the most cover it gets. I have canvas-like (not sure what material really is) Bestop Seat covers and those cheapo massage wood-beaded seat covers on top. This setup dries very quickly when it gets wet; a quick wipe dries anything on the beads, then the airflow when moving does the rest.
The seat covers are over 12yrs old, and finally the seams are just starting to rip.

The inherent problem with any waterproof seat cover is gravity. Water pools a the lowest spot on the seat. Whether it is waterproof or not decides if it stays there, or absorbs into the seat material.

I used a whole can of spray on fabric waterproofer on my aftermarket seats & they work fine, just wipe out what pools when it rains & go.

Cool thanks for the tips, yea I'm wanting to put them on my s10 blazer seats cause I did half doors so I dont want my seats to rot out. So neoprene does actually keep water from going throu? interesting, my main concern isnt really my butt getting wet its keeping the seat underneath the cover from getting wet so it doesnt rot. So if neoprene does do this then heck I'll just run to the advance down the street and buy a pair of them cheapo neprene seat covers.

I had a sami that I put those ricer kid X-gear or something seat covers. they did fine for $30. they are at advance etc... red/black blue/black and they have drawstrings on either bolster.

that or get vynil seats

My neoprene Nissan covers are backed with a non-permeable layer of rubber or something. I love them for when I go swimming, boating, jet-skiing, etc. I can just jump in the truck and drive without worrying about being dry.

X2 on the maintenance though, you have to clean them regularly and it's best to park out of the sun if you can.

Back