Wanting enclosed car trailer - opinions wanted

poncho-mike

I'm going to be in the market for a nice enclosed car trailer and I'd like some opinions.

I'm more into the older Pontiac muscle cars, although my son has a K-5 and I have a pair of big block 4x4 Suburbans that I use to tow. I've got an open trailer I use now to haul parts cars and miscellaneous.

I would like to go to a couple of the national events and maybe take parts to sell. I've got a lot of sheet metal I've accumulated over the years, and it doesn't haul well on an open trailer.

I'd also like to use it to store a car in. I'm kinda tight on space, and if I can use a trailer to haul stuff occasionally and store a car the rest of time, then that would work out great.

So here's my questions. Will water condense on a car stored inside of an enclosed car trailer?

Will being constantly loaded with a car cause any issues with the frame potentially sagging? I would assume it wouldn't, but it's just a thought.

For those of you with trailers, what's the optimum length? I'm leaning toward a 20 or 24 ft enclosed.

Thanks,

Mike

I saw that one. I'm budgeting around $4500, so it's a little out of my price range.

I was hoping to get some replies on construction and brands. I've heard both good and bad about Haulmark. I know there's a trailer place in Fuquay that sells new 24 ft trailers out the door for around $6000.

Mike

I have a 26ft haulmark enclosed trailer aswell as 40ft haulmark edge for my race cars, if you get anything less than 26ft you will wish you had gotten a bigger trailer, I had a 24ft and didn;t have enough room for a race car and toolbox. much less an old muscle car.

I know that you need to make sure it has the "good" axles. Sorry but I don't know which ones are the "good" ones but I've heard from a friend who has one that there are two types and one is very problematic.
RQ

That's the type of information I'm looking for.

I've also heard there are two different types of axles and one type causes a lot of problems. Can you ask your friend which type of axles I should stay away from? Is your friend a mechanic or just a hobbyist?

Mike

*I may be 100% wrong here, but I don't think so, hell this advice is worth the cost, guaranteed*

I think from when I was researching this that you wanted to make sure it had sprung axles and not tortional support style axles.

Seems like the tortion rides (marginally) better new, but theye have a life span and once wore out the whole axles have to be replaced.

Ok flame away, I probably dont know what I am talking about (sold my race set up 7 years ago, bought and researched trailers 2 before that)

*I may be 100% wrong here, but I don't think so, hell this advice is worth the cost, guaranteed*
I think from when I was researching this that you wanted to make sure it had sprung axles and not tortional support style axles.
Seems like the tortion rides (marginally) better new, but theye have a life span and once wore out the whole axles have to be replaced.

That is correct. I almost got a big gooseneck trailer with Torsion axles, and found out about this at the last minute. (Thanks to the folks on this board and on Pirate for advice)

Torsion axles do wear out (the torsion part where the spindle/knuckle moves within a piece of rubber in the axle tube), requiring replacement of the whole axle. They also do not have a means to try to equalize load between the two axles, like how a regular leaf-spring dual axle trailer had an "equalizer" pivot between the front and rear springs. Because of this, it becomes very important to have your trailer sit level when loaded (might not be a big deal if you always use the same tow rig and similar tongue weight). It also means that it's easy to over-stress an axle if you drive over a curb or take the trailer on uneven ground.

The torsion axles are also significantly more expensive to buy than leaf-sprung axles if you need to replace one.

Yep,
Skyhik5 and Carman are right. That's what my bud was talking about. I'm not to call him because it takes an hour to get off of the phone with him :lol:
Those torsional axles are very expensive from what I've heard.
RQ

Back