Vroc

Wolfpack OffRoad

Vroc- New and improved w/ pics.

I saw Bigwoody there, representing North Carolina! He sure put on a good show. We got to see a roll, smoking tires, and a few "almosts." :D He will have some body work to do I suspect. :mad:

Guys showed up from all over and there was a good size spectator crowd. It rained Friday and Saturday until about lunch. After that it was cold and windy until the sun came out on Sunday.

From the said conditions above all but one of the super mods dropped out before the competition.(They got scared) So the one who was remaining won by default. He didn't just point out though. He tried everything and made most things look easy.

The routes were very tough and technical, all worsened by the rains and wind. The wet ground on Saturday made it tough on the rigs because on most all routes it alternated patches of mud and rock. This equated to tire spinage and winches.

Sunday was by far the best day because conditions were much better and the mod. rigs had to attempt a certian 10ft. drop off into a creek which produced a few rolls and made everything more interesting.

I judged route #8, which was a fairly easy route except for the one obstacle that halted everyone. It was a huge boulder between two trees. Most all rigs were too wide and had trouble putting one tire on the rock and the other running up the side of the tree. They would hit diffs and made no progress. Bigwoody made it halfway past the boulder but slipped backdown and eventually pointed out. Only one rig made it up cleanly, the super class buggy. A few rigs made it up without pointing out but they winched past the rock.

As for me, I had a great time. I think judging enhanced the experienced 10 fold. I learned that people lack judgement where ever you go. One certian competitior in an old orange Bronco was a crowd pleaser. He would spin those boggers and give her hell. His motor developed a knock and he was determined to blow her by the end of the weekend. He made all but a few runs because his motor just about squattted coming up a waterfall. He said he was gonna spray his Nitrous up the last run, a straight up muddy hill, but never made it. I am glad because he would have blown it for sure and clogged up the trail for a long time and made it very hard to extract him.

When the pictures get put up I will cover more of the event. -Josh

That was hilarious. He rolled and the guys ran up to flip him back over and when they did he kept on rolling the other way.

He gave everyone a scary moment further up the creek. He rolled on another route and kept it running, so he spun trying to back up and right himself. What he didn't see was that his fuel cell was leaking gas and he couldn't hear every one yelling from above. Someone jumped down and had to grab him inside of the cage to get him to shut her down.

:D Body work, ya think? The MJ is mangled to put it lightly,but most everyone else rolled at that obstacle as well. It put us out of the $$$$ race ,so it was all about the show from there on out. We had a good time and I'm sure we'll go do it again as well as trying some nueroc events. The top will be wacked off and the front cage redone, then we'll be ready to ride again. We were one of the VERY few that didn't have any mechanicle problems, which pleased me, even though we didn't do as well as I would have liked. Brian (driving a CJ) won the class with good driving and decision making, congrats to him. I switched spotters for the last two obstacles(Jim was feeling a little ill) Madmonk took over for him and spotter rode the last obstacle up a hill climb and around a turn, we almost rolled again this time it would have been about a 4 or 5 turner before we reached the bottom. We were able to drive out of it (god only knows how, I was prepared for the long roll). All in all it was a good time, met some more nice people to go wheeling with in the future.
The course was as difficult as I have seen, many complained it was too tough and as a result many dropped out after the first day or didn't run at all. There were several obstacles that were just "undoable" with the conditions, but I tried to say the least :D .

I know, I hate it for ya'. You had it looking so good when she started off. The MJ did hold up well. I was standing to your left when you went up #2. I had a clean look at your front axle when you were spinning for that minute or so about half way up. I was watching those u joints going round and round stopping and starting, wondering when they were gonna give up and explode.

Are you gonna put the new engine in it when you do the other work? The northstar? I might have to try what you said about the stroker motor, when mine comes up for a rebuild. -Josh

I was there for the event on Saturday. It was fun watching the scramble for traction on the rocks & mud...and hell that was just the walk from the parking lot. :D I got a few decent pics of Bigwoody's rig and it was nice to see a local rig in action.

The event did seem a bit unorganized though. The Easter egg blue Bronco setting in the creek with the tire off the bead and engine/gas problems held things up there way too long. The guy with the orange Bronco II that did his best to rip the front axle from under his rig was fun to watch though.

It hope they have another event there later this year. I had a great time.

Fish

Yes, I agree with you it was unorganized. The drivers didn't know what was going on and when because of lack of meetings etc. We, the judges, had to some crowd control and direction giving. The fire saturday night got a bit rowdy for those who wanted to sleep.

The Bronco II actually busted his ball joints on the axle.I thought he ripped his tube off but it was fixable. the axle itself was ok. That was another problem, the staging areas were too close to one another. The spectators could see lots of routes from one area but there were way too many traffic jams and people left early.

If you only stayed for saturday then you missed out. I feel sunday was a better day, the conditions and the routes to be run.

Dude - you kicked ASS! The rain killed our plans for the weekend. We were going to have half the mod stock guys go up hill and the others go down. This would have relieved some of the congestion. We were trying our best to make it spectator friendly and to get all the competitors some fans. I have competed in the stock class at NEUROC before and all the spectators watch the Super class, which sucks for the others. We wanted to get everybody an audience. The rain made the obstacles (which had been tested prior to the event) much MUCH harder than we expected (about an inch pr two of dirrhea) and we appologize for the weather. Next time we will create a pit area at the top of the hill and and area for 4 more obstacles farther away - but still in the view of the spectators area so that they will not be sooo cramped. Again - you guys ROCKED!

Chris Packard

BIGWOODY said:
:D Body work, ya think? The MJ is mangled to put it lightly,but most everyone else rolled at that obstacle as well. It put us out of the $$$$ race ,so it was all about the show from there on out. We had a good time and I'm sure we'll go do it again as well as trying some nueroc events. The top will be wacked off and the front cage redone, then we'll be ready to ride again. We were one of the VERY few that didn't have any mechanicle problems, which pleased me, even though we didn't do as well as I would have liked. Brian (driving a CJ) won the class with good driving and decision making, congrats to him. I switched spotters for the last two obstacles(Jim was feeling a little ill) Madmonk took over for him and spotter rode the last obstacle up a hill climb and around a turn, we almost rolled again this time it would have been about a 4 or 5 turner before we reached the bottom. We were able to drive out of it (god only knows how, I was prepared for the long roll). All in all it was a good time, met some more nice people to go wheeling with in the future.
The course was as difficult as I have seen, many complained it was too tough and as a result many dropped out after the first day or didn't run at all. There were several obstacles that were just "undoable" with the conditions, but I tried to say the least :D .

Enjoyed it Chris, the weather was my only bitch and ya can't control that. Dry, it would have been awesome. Hang on to my email info and let me know when the next one is, we'll be there for sure. Thanks again, Greg
PS. I want to try that ledge again...I can make it .. :D

You can make it! Come here and wheel - not during a comp! We run a park here and do have less difficult trails as well - not that you couldn't handle those obstacles! You have some serious balls man! Damn - you made my heart skip a beat on number 5! That was some great driving, and your spotter was FREAKED OUT riding with you! Kick ass man!

Chris

jeepnchris said:
You can make it! Come here and wheel - not during a comp! We run a park here and do have less difficult trails as well - not that you couldn't handle those obstacles! You have some serious balls man! Damn - you made my heart skip a beat on number 5! That was some great driving, and your spotter was FREAKED OUT riding with you! Kick ass man!

Chris

What is the name of the PARK?

BIGWOODY saves the day, draging the busted Bronco II out.
0.jpg

2.jpg

We just call it Crozet. By appointment wheeling. We mainly have club type runs here (more than 5). It is $20.00 per day or $30.00 for the weekend with primitive camping and a bon-fire if you choose - most do.

Chris

This is the best pic yet ,it hurts just to look at it...

Attachments

• gregrulz.jpg
    gregrulz.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 402
That drop looks crazy in the pics!

The stock guys had to go to one side which was not too bad. The mod and super guys had to go in the route you see. It was about a 10+ ft. drop-off straight into a creek. Many rolls occured there. The yellow-caged XJ rolled all the way around and kept going to finish the course.

I think the trick to going down was to ease into it and just when the back axle went airborne, punch it with the front axle and this would pull the front of the vehicle out and level. The hard part was the timing.

Thanks for the vid clips, Greg.. you most certainly gave it hell!

Holy cow batman........you werent kidding when you said you almost lost it on that one!Good save....... :driver:

Back