Vote Da Bums OUT!!

kaiser715

Doing hard time
WTF is the Sanford City Council thinking?

In the local paper today, the city has voted in a new vehicle tax, effective July 1st. Every vehicle and trailer registered in the city limits gets hit with a 30 dollar flat tax.

$30 is the maximum allowed by state law for a municipal vehicle tax. Other local areas with the muni tax are Holly Springs ($10), Apex, Cary, F-V (all $15). Those cities are 1/3 to 1/2 of the Sanford tax, even though Sanford's median income is HALF of those cities. Of all NC cities of similar size, Sanford now has the highest fee, along with the highest poverty rate.

Good thing I am moving out of the city limits this week....otherwise I'll be hit for $390 a year (cars, Jeeps, RV, and trailers combined).

Sanford wants growth....this is no way to attract newcomers and industry.

Lincolnton did the same thing, $30 a year per vehicle. I have a couple more years before I am ready to move, but I'll surely be moving away from this shit hole.

$30 is the maximum allowed by state law for a municipal vehicle tax. Other local areas with the muni tax are Holly Springs ($10), Apex, Cary, F-V (all $15). Those cities are 1/3 to 1/2 of the Sanford tax, even though Sanford's median income is HALF of those cities. Of all NC cities of similar size, Sanford now has the highest fee, along with the highest poverty rate.

What's the City property tax rate on vehicles? Apex, HS, etc, have a percentage of value tax on top of the flat fee that may put their total fees higher. Holly Springs, Rolesville, Wake Forest, Wendell, etc, all have much higher property tax rates than Raleigh, even though their flat fee is less.

Back