Vibs at 50+

I found a t case for 100, picking it up today and going to do the swap. Hope that's it.

I swapped the T-case with a low mileage one. The vib is still there.. Guess I am moving on to the front axle.

Here is the video..

Oh, that's an absolutely annoying noise!

I'd start with the t-case. I'm almost wondering if the chain is that sloppy that its making that noise. ?

I just swapped to a new t case that has very low miles. Front drive shaft out. This case is tight.
My brain hurts...

I would have bet $ it was the t-case. Not to question the mileage, but what's low mileage on a 231 case, they haven't been used since 06 iirc.

I bought 3, 242's before I found one that didn't roar at the speeds you are talking about. I rebuilt the front and rear diffs, all the wheels bearing, hub assembly's, before figuring it out. I know your pain.

Just went to 4.10 gears. Had some vibs before but now come on at lower speeds. Thought it was the read drive shaft. So I installed a new one from Oliver's. Great service by the way! However it's still there.. I pull the rear drive shaft & run on front wheel drive & quiet as a mouse..

Give me some ideas guys.. I am going nutz here..

Just to clarify here, is the same noise/vibe that has always been present now magnified since you went to 4.10 gearsing or is it a new noise that is just worse than what was there originally?
My thought process is with 4.10 gearing it comes on at a lower speed since the outshafts, prop shafts, etc are now spinning faster at a lower speed. Or could it be bad pinion bearings/worn pinion bearings in the new to you rear axle possibly? The noise sounds "hollow" to me, like it generated from inside something.

Is the transmission mount good and tight?

I did the gear swap. Pattern was a little deep about 5 thousands. Didn't want to risk destroying g the pinion bearing so I let it fly.
I will go back and check the pinion bearings.

The sound/vibration was there before but came on a 55-60 and got worse as speed went up.
So with the 4.10 install the speeds it comes on is lower, 45-50 and worse as it goes up.

But, has always been there. I did a t case drop hoping it would help when I got the jeep. Made no difference so I just left it.

This thing has a salvage title. Was hit on the front drivers corner. With that I did have to adjust the thrust angle of the rear. Maybe the t-case is pointing to the side a bit causing this?

I'm gonna drop the cross member and sit it on the floor jack and run it. Maybe pull from side to side and see if the vibration. Goes away.

Last edited:
Is the transmission mount good and tight?
It is not torn or oil soaked. Seems soft though. I did order one expecting it Wednesday or thursday.

Not to question the mileage, but what's low mileage on a 231 case, they haven't been used since 06 iirc.

Got this from @amajeepman. IIRC 120k or so.. in put and out puts feel tight and shifts well.

Checked the pinion bearing at lunch. No play, end play nor up and down. Seems tight.

checked the output of the transfer case too. no play there either.

However, when I start of under hard throttle I can hear a slight clicking. Like a bearing, for just a few revolutions then goes away.

I am at a loss on this.

Who on the board here is good at this stuff or wants to take a shot at it?

Checked the pinion bearing at lunch. No play, end play nor up and down. Seems tight.

checked the output of the transfer case too. no play there either.

However, when I start of under hard throttle I can hear a slight clicking. Like a bearing, for just a few revolutions then goes away.

I am at a loss on this.

Who on the board here is good at this stuff or wants to take a shot at it?
Clicking under load sounds like something in the drive line. Check your d/s and make sure the CV joint is not maxed out or binding. My yj acted similar, ended up being the cheap CV joint didn't have enough clearance to move freely.

Clicking under load sounds like something in the drive line. Check your d/s and make sure the CV joint is not maxed out or binding. My yj acted similar, ended up being the cheap CV joint didn't have enough clearance to move freely.

Thanks, this part of it just started. Put my old drive shaft back in & half the vibs were gone & the clicking went away. I did notice the CV oint is different between the new & the old.

Dumb question, is the driveshaft properly greased?

Dumb question, is the driveshaft properly greased?

Yes, the splines were greased. I am working this out with Oliver's. For now I am back tot he original vib. issue. It's there but I feel pretty secure now that it's my original diagnoses of the drive shaft being out.

the video looked like there was a few degrees variance at the pinion side (after you revved the engine), but it could have been the angle of the shot too.
I think you were seeing a little wrap during the gear changing.

BFR

????

I think it means big f'n retard, but I'm not sure...

Back