vegge cummins

1stgenxxx

Anyone on here running their cummins off of vegge oil? I'm looking at adding a tank inside my toolbox. Looks like it will cost about 600 bucks judging from a few I've seen on Cumminsforum.

Sold now but my old 12v ran veggie for 45k.
I wouldnt even think of pumping it through a vP44.....

Sold now but my old 12v ran veggie for 45k.
I wouldnt even think of pumping it through a vP44.....

X2 the vp44 cant handle the viscosity of cooking oil even at
200* or the 50\50 mix like do in my PSD.

I'm new to Dodge and diesel... but I was thinking my 05 had something like a Bosch CP3 pump... those any better? Was considering starting to do a little research into all this seeing fuel prices start to increase significantly. Is it a waste of time? void warranties, etc.?

I sold my 24V and picked up a 12V to run veggie. I'm not sure if the veggie or PO HP mods killed my IP, but after replacing the pump, I havent used the veggie. Sad, I had a free fuel screamer that would slip the clutch at WOT, now I just have a stock 12V.

I sold my 24V and picked up a 12V to run veggie. I'm not sure if the veggie or PO HP mods killed my IP, but after replacing the pump, I havent used the veggie. Sad, I had a free fuel screamer that would slip the clutch at WOT, now I just have a stock 12V.

:shaking::gay:

I'm not sure if the veggie or PO HP mods killed my IP, .
I'd bet money it was the veggie.....ask anyone who's run veggie a long time...injection pumps will fail.

Running veggie oil is great as long as you're aware of of few things: Have another truck and trailer to tow yours away when you have problems on the road or carry a spare IP and lots of tools. It's not a matter of IF you're going to have issues so much as WHEN you're going to have issues. Air in the lines, gummed up veggi in filters, crapping out lift pumps, etc... If you're willing to be ready at any given time to get out of the truck and work on it, then you're all set. There's so much more to running it than just buying a tank and rounding up oil.
Oh yeah...the bed of your truck will never be clean again, you will have a spill.

I'd bet money it was the veggie.....ask anyone who's run veggie a long time...injection pumps will fail.
Running veggie oil is great as long as you're aware of of few things: Have another truck and trailer to tow yours away when you have problems on the road or carry a spare IP and lots of tools. It's not a matter of IF you're going to have issues so much as WHEN you're going to have issues. Air in the lines, gummed up veggi in filters, crapping out lift pumps, etc... If you're willing to be ready at any given time to get out of the truck and work on it, then you're all set. There's so much more to running it than just buying a tank and rounding up oil.
Oh yeah...the bed of your truck will never be clean again, you will have a spill.

More then enough reasons for me to keep mine stock and run the wheels off it... currently it's averaging 21.5-22MPG city/hwy by hand.. bone stock (minus the muffler)...

Just wish it had 1 more gear maybe 7th would be nice on the highway unloaded...

I have abou 40k on my truck on WVO 96 12v CTD

I have gone through 2 lift pumps (learning proceesses can be $$)

The best advice is settle you oil for as long as you can (2 week +) and filter down to 1 micron. I use 5/1 bag filter you can get at MCmaster carr

Filter your oil Well before you put it you truck it should be clear

I am looking into a centrfuge that will take care of most if not all of my issues.

I do worrie a bit about my IP but the money I have save would have paid for 3 or 4 IP pumps I have 190k on my truck

We have a local hot shot transporter that tows a 4 car wedge on strictly veggie.
He has his IP replaced at 60k while it is still running (3 so far)...the atomic water will cavitate the IP...but 60,000/20 mpg (very generous)x$2.25...the IP aint $6,750

Like Woody said though it is messy and aggravating...
But for a cheap ass go ahead.
If I was going to convert a truck it would be a 12V and personally i would probably chnaage the IP before I even started.

Rebuild on a vp44 is about $1050. I'm on my 3rd one at 120,000 miles but mine idles all day, about 9 hours a day. Idling about 2/3rd a day my pumps see about 360,000 miles.

Be careful with the newer trucks, too. If you have a DPF, you can't even run 100% bio.

grease is not the problem

running veg. fuel that made by some one who knows what there doing will not harm the vehicle unless it is older than 93. 94 manufactures started using synthetic seal and not rubber. the one complaint everyone has about veg. fuel is that it is dirty and stops up the lines and filters causing pumps to go out. the old dino fuel is what is stopping up the fuel system. the veg. fuel has soap in it. a product of the methanol and oil combining in the cooking process (lye soap) is made with the buyproduct of veg. fuel. All the problems come from the fuel system being cleaned from the tank to the filter. there are several aftermarket fuel filter housing that can been run that give extended change time because of the larger filters.
All of this came from a 2 day class put on by one of the veg. fuel makers down east. they actualy use fat from waste pork, chicken and beaf no veg. in it.

running veg. fuel that made by some one who knows what there doing will not harm the vehicle unless it is older than 93. 94 manufactures started using synthetic seal and not rubber. the one complaint everyone has about veg. fuel is that it is dirty and stops up the lines and filters causing pumps to go out. the old dino fuel is what is stopping up the fuel system. the veg. fuel has soap in it. a product of the methanol and oil combining in the cooking process (lye soap) is made with the buyproduct of veg. fuel. All the problems come from the fuel system being cleaned from the tank to the filter. there are several aftermarket fuel filter housing that can been run that give extended change time because of the larger filters.
All of this came from a 2 day class put on by one of the veg. fuel makers down east. they actualy use fat from waste pork, chicken and beaf no veg. in it.

Whoa, there are so many things wrong here, I don't know where to start.

wrong old then 93 model work better then the newer models..

yes seals may need to be replaced but that is due to them being old and wore out..shoot most dodge truck older then 93 with over 150,000 miles have all had to have there injection pumps rebuilt due to leaks and that is not from veggie oil.

Of course oil is dirty.. most places that you get oil from used it to FRY some chicken, or other items...
So the issues is not that Veggie oil is dirty, but if you have no idea what you are doing when you clean it, or brew it then that is your issue

If you brew bio diesel then yes you will have a soaping residue on the bio.. that is why there is a washing process to clean it.

If you run straight veggie oil and you clean and dewater it correct..you will not see this soapy issue.

running bio or straight veggie all depends on your process of cleaning, brewing etc.. there are a 100 different ways to clean your grease, etc.. and if they did not explain this to you in your class then your class was not very educational.

running veg. fuel that made by some one who knows what there doing will not harm the vehicle unless it is older than 93.94 manufactures started using synthetic seal and not rubber. .

I think you must be tallking about Bio diesel and not SVO or WVO

the one complaint everyone has about veg. fuel is that it is dirty and stops up the lines and filters causing pumps to go out. the old dino fuel is what is stopping up the fuel system. the veg. fuel has soap in it. a product of the methanol and oil combining in the cooking process (lye soap) is made with the buyproduct of veg. fuel.

SVO/WVO is only dirty if not cleaned properly. The fuel does not have soap in it. Bio diesel if propery brewed will not have an soap in it eather

All the problems come from the fuel system being cleaned from the tank to the filter. there are several aftermarket fuel filter housing that can been run that give extended change time because of the larger filters.

I run just the stock filter in the truck and since I got my fitering process ironed out I change my filter about 6month to a year on the stock filter just because.

I have tried those after market filter housing and have had nothing but trouble with air leaks.

So you took a 2 day course on how to make Bio veggy fuel from a place that does not use SVO or WVO and now you know everthing :shaking:

bio fuel

The class i took was not a how to making bio fuel. It was put on by a large company down east that produces hundreds of thousands of gals. a year. They started out using used oil and grease. Then every one started making it in there basements and they were not gitting the grease for free. Same thing happioned to corn and beans. They then started gitting the fat from chicken and beaf.Using the grease to make fuel.
Yes bio fuel is dirty only if not cleaned properly. Dio fuel is dirty. Ever looked at a filter from a over the road tractor?
Its a waxy grease substance most of the time and not dirt or something from a dirty tank. The waxy substance is from the fuel. You run a ultra clean Bio Fuel that will have trace amounts of cleaning agents (soap). and all that build up from the tank to the filter will break up over time and clog the filter up.
As for a after market filter. The only reason I have installed them on trucks is for the larger filter and extra time between changes. never had a problem with a good quality filter housing.
As for rubber vs synthetic i have never had a problem with rubber and bio fuel. The rep from the fuel company stated that the bio fuel will harm rubber seals. Thats him not me. Never had a problem with rubber. But most trucks Ive worked on they are well past there first pump. I would vinture to say when I sent them out to get rebuild there are synthetic seals being put back in.
There is a very large farm in my county that runs nothing but Bio fuel from Greensboro in the road tractors ,tractors ,and trucks no problems.
I have worked on several trucks with the old tanks with heaters in them. nothing but problems because the grease was not cleaned enouph before being put into the tank. not the systems problem but the owners fault for being lazy.
ridgerunner All I know about Bio fuel is hands on and class room.
Have worked on over the road tractors, tractors, heavy equipment for 10 years. my neighbor has a bio fuel machine. bought before fuel was going up as a hobby. have run the fuel in my tractor, loader, dozer, and work truck with no problems. he runs it in his 7.3 power stroke with no problems. been out west last 4 years running a 100 gal tank with no problems. several friends had older 6.5 turbos and 7.3 non turbos with the tank and heater with no problems as long as they cleaned the grease through filters before before putting in the tank. as for new trucks with clean emissions the farm im talking about has not run bio fuel because of the warrenty

Unless you were going to be using your rig everyday and you have a free hookup on the grease, i really dont see why anyone would go through with the hassel. If ya got the money for the oil changes and the cost of a diesel truck surely the cost of diesel isnt gonna kill ya. Its half of what it was last year at this time. I think it would be cheaper to buy a 1000 dollar car and run it to work and around town and save miles and fuel out of the big rig. Just my 2 cents?

Unless you were going to be using your rig everyday and you have a free hookup on the grease, i really dont see why anyone would go through with the hassel. If ya got the money for the oil changes and the cost of a diesel truck surely the cost of diesel isnt gonna kill ya. Its half of what it was last year at this time. I think it would be cheaper to buy a 1000 dollar car and run it to work and around town and save miles and fuel out of the big rig. Just my 2 cents?

Well I have run the numbers and what I found was that it all comes down to the length you plan to keep your truck and how far you drive a day.

for me I drive 5 miles to work one way so starting the truck on veggie and switching is not worth it for me.. but if I made bio in my garage and ran that it would pay for itself after about 3 years.

if you drive about 30 miles or more to work you can pay for the setup in a little over 1 year.

but you still need to find a place to get the grease.. which honestly is the hardest part of the entire setup..

plus if you buy a $1000 beater car and you ad the cost of additional insurance, oil changes, brakes, maintenace etc.. it will add up to more the $1000. you have to factor that all in to get real numbers.

Insurance is cheeeeep, i dont change the oil in my $1000 dollar beater,(it changes itself)lol, the only thing i buy is tires once every three or four years. I do see some benefits of the veggie oil, but not worth the effort. The bio is cool, but it takes time and space.

bio

neighbor was gitting $2.00 a gallon when fuel was so high.$1.00 a gallon if I got the oil for him. Now farm fuel is $1.65 a gallon. A lot easier to just call up and get 200 gal brought to the house. Also if you run the bio on the road uncle sam wonts his money also. There is a 12 valve running around with a duel tank. first tank is for the waste oil and has a pump and hose to get the oil. Then it is pumped through filters into the second tank. nice set up but takes up room in bed and more:beer: money in the set up.

These debates go on forever on some forums! Bottom line is that I run good quality veggie oil (mainly soybean) with no animal fats in it that I let settle for weeks and filter down to 5 microns. I have been running it for years and years without trashing and injector or an injection pump. I mix the veggie with diesel sometimes 50% on up to 80% WVO to 20% diesel in the summer with no problems at all. It is ALL ABOUT what WVO you use and how you process your oil...PERIOD. This stuff runs just as good in a Dodge cummins motor with a 12 valve as it does in a 24 valve and actually lubricates the pump better than just regular diesel. I have also found that I get even better fuel economy with running 20% up to 40% veggie oil mixed with diesel than I do on straight diesel!

After years of use I will swear by running WVO right in the tank mixed with diesel. Doubter....keep doubting and I will keep collecting and processing veggie oil. LOL!

Sean (Smells like French Fries!) DeVinney

Back