Vacuum Food Sealers - learn me....

Yay!Gurrr

Better Faster Stronger
Vacuum Food Sealers - learn me

Who's using one ?
Do you really use it ? or just sorta use it?

Does it really help with freshness ?
What brands are good ?
What brand of supplies ?

Learn me !

I have one and use it all the time..

from storing meat, to storing 4x4 parts.. works great :)

Jess use it a lot for meat and leftovers..

FYI: if you put 4x4 parts in one of the bags make sure you do not reuse that bag for food later on :)

I would have to go home and look at name.. on it .. I forget what the exact name is

I have a cheap Foodsaver form Cabelas. I use the thing ALL the time as I hunt and fish alot.

ok.... what's 'a while' 1 month, 6 months, 1 year?

what did you guys pay for these things ?
How much are the rolls of bag material ?
Can you get different thickness bags?

Very good general comments... need more details :)

I have ate flounder that I sealed 14 months ago and it tasted like they day it went in. I have a buddy that runs a seafood place in Hatteras so I taste fresh fish every other week. You will never use another zip loc as long as you live!

vacum sealers are great! i work in the food industry and we use them constantly. only thing i recomend is yes it can be used for seafood but be careful with some seafoods when the container is oppened because some bacteria that they contain can only grow and multiply in an airfree environment. but if the food is frozen in the package it should be fine... just my little 2 cents

When I was younger and hiked and camped a lot I used my mom's Seal a meal. I used it on food, cloths, matches, a little of everything. I know Wal Mart sells a couple different types. Things that already come in a seal package very often can be resealed.
I will be watching this thread as I am sure things have changed in 20 years

BTW they are (using large bags) great for keeping a dr set of clothes...

We tried a very cheap off brand from Target about 3 years ago and it's actually held up better than I thought, but it has finally had it. The Food Saver brand seems to be much better constructed, so that's what we'll get next.

My Grandma got us into using ours and she used to use the cannisters and stuff, but frankly, we've never found a use for them, so my experience is all with the various bags.

From what I can tell, all the bags are pretty much the same and work in any machine. Again, the food saver brand ones feel like they might be a bit thicker, but not enough difference to say for sure.

When we bought ours, we got both a continuous roll and some that were about a quart size and some that were about a gallon size. Personally, I didn't care for the roll, because it's a little more difficult to work with (making sure you're cutting it straight, sealing both ends, etc).

We also, at the suggestion of my Grandma, wash and reuse ours. Unless you're doing something to really get the bag funky, they can be washed with soap and water and hung to dry on the dish rack. They work like new after a wash and if you're careful about trimming them, you get quite a few uses before you need a new bag.

As for uses, I think you're only limited by your imagination. As mentioned above, they're great for buying in bulk, then freezing in smaller portions.

They are awesome for camping. Bacon and lunch meat can be sealed then thrown in the cooler with no fear of it getting wet. We've even sealed (without vacuum sealing) fruit and such, and the bubble that's created protects the fruit. We find we can pack more in the cooler and worry less about stuff getting wet. Just be sure you travel with a good pair of sissors. Those bags don't open easy, especially if you're going to save them for reuse.

We've also used them for other odd stuff. For example, on one trip, we started putting a dryer sheet in the bottom of a bag, vacuum sealed it, then added dry laundry soap (enough for one load) to the rest of the bag and vaccum sealed it. This gives you a bag for each load of laundry. It worked so well, we keep a couple in the bottom of our suitcases on most trips, just in case we need to do laundry for some reason.

Like I said, you're pretty much only limited by your imagination, but even if you just use it for food and stuff, they're cool. Especially if you buy in bulk or hunt/fish.

Jeff

Food Saver

Mike,
I have been using the Food Saver brand for over 4 years. The newer ones allow for hands free use - mine requires that you hold the cover down. I haven't used a hands free model but would expect it to be easier to use. Juggling the end of a bag and holding the lid closed is a learned technique with mine.

I prefer the roll bags. To get an even cut, I fold the bag over and run a pair of kitchen shears along the fold. Using the quick seal option closes the end of the bag before adding food. I have also been washing bags int he dishwasher after turning them inside out. I only do that for bags that held dry goods.

I have a few of the canisters, but found them to troublesome to use. I've had the kids pick them up by the lids, breaking the seal and spilling the contents. Other times they canisters seemed to lose their seal on their own.

We've tried to use the canisters to marinate meats for the BBQ. I had better success with marinades (including dry rubs) by just sealing the items in a bag. I've done this with pork ribs and it worked great.

I like taking foods that I've cooked in bulk - everything from Chili, Chicken Noodle Soup and Smoked BBQ - and then bagging it for later use. Take the bags straight from the freezer and drop them in a pot of simmering water. It is the fast way to a meal with minimal cleanup. For liquid foods like soup - just freeze before putting it into a bag.

I will probably be smoking a few pounds of meat at Thanksgiving. I'll fill the smoker up with a variety of meats and stuff it in Food Saver bags for later consumption.

I have also repackaged food and sealed it so that it could be tossed into a cooler and stay dry. This works great when camping alone. It allows me to pull food directly from the refrigerator and carry only what is needed. I have done the this with dry goods and tossed it into food boxes. Same idea, pull only what is needed from the pantry and go.

Sounds like a good investment..

We buy ground beef and chicken breasts at Sam's and divide them up into ziploc bags all the time.. sounds like this will be better and a little easier..

Food Saver

I got one. We use it quite a bit. My wife buys the bags so couldn't tell you the cost. We got it as a gift and its a nice one. I've seen people use the cheaper ones and they are for a reason. Although I think glad just came out with a battery operated hand held for about $10 that would be great for the trail. They have a specialty bag of course.
I like mine for marinading. 20 mins is like a full days soak. The vacuum sucks the juice into the meat. I do like to tenderize before bagging.
The $10 one is worth trying. The cheap ones do have trouble sucking out the marinade though and can make a mess, so just use a little amount of marinade.

Back