Uwharrie Trail Workday #18, October 15th

Will You Be Attending?

• Total voters

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
As you probably know we are nearing the end of the year, and only have 3 more workdays to get as much done as we can until the January break. During the September workday Terry Savery mentioned guard rail install a couple times, so its safe to say getting guard rail put in will be on the list for October. The downside to this is both the big auger and the Forest Service augers blew up last workday. So both of them as of right now are out of commission. Even if they were the areas that Terry Savery mentioned about guard rail install are very rocky and not well suited for hand augers anyway. We will be looking to do another equipment rental.

With the Saw Mill re-route we will be focusing on work around getting that project completed for its opening in the up coming week(s). So the guard rail install on RML will have to wait till November or December. Hopefully by then we will have the funds together to get a Bobcat w/ Auger so we can make fast/quick work of the guard rail install, and get other projects done with the bucket/bobcat also.

According to Terry Savery there will only be 2 sections of guard rail to be put up, and that will be done using the 2 new hand augers they have purchased. Beyond that carsonite signs need to be installed, plus trail markers/arrows etc on the new re-route. This will be an opportunity to get in a fairly light load workday with great weather, and get to ride the new re-route before it opens. So lets make this a great turn out!

SCHEDULE PER USUAL:

Breakfast @ Outpost ~ 8AM
Hunt Camp Meet Up ~ 9AM
LUNCH ~ Approx 1:30PM
Wrap up Work ~ Approx 3:30PM

I have schedualed off work for this day....and I work weekends first saturday off in a year.

It awesome to hear your willing to spend your first saturday off in a year helping out. The dedication is greatly appreciated. Its guys like you that make these workdays a success. :beer:

Off work, but incharge of throwing a surprise party.

Saturday

Would a ride along on a workday be good to see the trails and help out?
Have never been but am planning on going with a group in Nov.
I have had a Jeep YJ lifted, winch, locker ... and TJ in the past, and now a JKU Rubicon with a 2.5" lift.
I have been trail riding in the past. Like the Globe Fire Trail and Richland Rd. up in Blowing Rock.

David P

Would a ride along on a workday be good to see the trails and help out?
Have never been but am planning on going with a group in Nov.
I have had a Jeep YJ lifted, winch, locker ... and TJ in the past, and now a JKU Rubicon with a 2.5" lift.
I have been trail riding in the past. Like the Globe Fire Trail and Richland Rd. up in Blowing Rock.
David P

I saw you tried to send me a PM but my inbox was full, sorry about that.

Riding along on a workday is a perfect way to see the trails and help out. Its a great way to get a guided tour of some of the area, and you get to actually see/understand what goes on behind the scenes so to speak. Another perk of this workday is you will get to see the new Saw Mill Re-route also before it opens after final inspection. Speaking of that here is the e-mail from Terry Savery concerning the work weekend:

Hi Everyone - I'm sorry I didn't send this out earlier but I was not in the office much these past 2 weeks. I've been on the Saw Mill Trail Reroute and the Keyauwee Trail Reroute (bike trail in the Wood Run area) with the contractors these past 2 weeks. The Saw Mill Trail Reroute is complete. It is going to get its final inspection next week and it should be ready for us to sign and blaze and we'll need to put up some of the old guardrail to keep folks on the new trail. Drew Brown will be working with the OHV volunteers and depending on how many folks show up will determine how many groups we'll break up into. We'll need folks to ride the new section of trail and put up the orange diamond markers and to install carsonite signs and some arrows on the new turns, etc.. We'll need 1 to 2 crews to install guardrail in 3 places. The first 2 sections of guardrail will be put up to block off the sections of the old trail that are near the shooting range and the 3rd section of guardrail will be put up near the Rocky Mt Loop end just downhill from where it was before on the steep hill climb. We've bought 2 new hand augers so they shouldn't be breaking down for us (yeah).

Please plan on meeting Drew at the Uwharrie Hunt Camp at 9 am on Saturday, October 15th. After you meet up some folks will need to go to the spray field with Drew to get 2 long sections of guardrail and 4 posts for the first 2 sections of guardrail and haul it out to the site. Drew will let you in on the gated road that connects to Saw Mill Trail just south of the shooting range. That will be a lot shorter route to drag or haul the guardrail into the first 2 sites. The other guardrail for the 3 site is already out there from when it was installed on the hill climb area near the Rocky Mt Loop end.

I want to say thank you to all of you again for putting so much time and effort into volunteering each year. Last month we had a very successful and long day out on Dutch John, Slab Pile, and Wolf Den Trails. We were able to make good use of the Bobcat to drain mudholes, reshape and armor stream crossings, remove an old culvert and armor the crossing. We were also able to get some of the illegal bypasses blocked on Dutch John Trail by working hard with one auger that was on its last leg. Drew & I appreciated how hard everyone worked last month and you all did a great job getting things on the list completed. Actually, I want to say thank you to everyone that has been there for us over the past several months and years. Without your help, donations of equipment rentals, cleaning up of trails, etc. we would not have the trails in as good of shape as they are and we wouldn't have such good luck with the RTP grants that help us leverage the fee money we receive from the trails.

I'll be working with the new chapter of Backcountry Horseman on the Uwharrie on the 15th so I won't be out there on Saw Mill Trail. Drew will have all the supplies you'll need and he'll need your help to get Saw Mill Trail ready to be reopened!

Thanks a lot everyone. Bye - Terry

Having worked with Drew in the past I know it will be a smooth going workday. The only heavy work load is putting up guard rail, and there isn't a bunch to be put up in the spots she is talking about. So in a reality it will be a nice light load workday with some great weather to boot.

Off work, but incharge of throwing a surprise party.

Hope you can make it out in November, was cool wheeling/working with ya a couple workdays back. :beer:

Whats-the-date?
December-too-Please.

Ill-see-at-work...

Sorry-Busted-Spacebar.

Whats-the-date?
December-too-Please.

Ill-see-at-work...

Sorry-Busted-Spacebar.

Its the 3rd weekend of every month so the last 2 workdays will be:

November 19th
December 17th

That means yes the December workday will be a post season workday, meaning we will be out on the trails while they are closed. It seems we get a lot of work done on the off-season workdays, hopefully this will stay true for December.

A friend of mine who owns a decking business just bought a s185 bobcat, he isn't too much into offroading yet, but does have a lifted cummins and wants to get an early bronco or k5 to wheel. He said he would help us make some trails on a club members land, so I am going to talk to him about using it for work days. I am doubtful he will be ok with it, but maybe once every few months he won't mind if I can get him more into wheeling.

I know this isn't amazing news or anything, but I am going to try to make it work and hopefully that would help out.

Also, as of now I work both those weekends, I know we get a week off for christmas but I will have to check the calendar for which days, the 17th may be possible.

A friend of mine who owns a decking business just bought a s185 bobcat, he isn't too much into offroading yet, but does have a lifted cummins and wants to get an early bronco or k5 to wheel. He said he would help us make some trails on a club members land, so I am going to talk to him about using it for work days. I am doubtful he will be ok with it, but maybe once every few months he won't mind if I can get him more into wheeling.
I know this isn't amazing news or anything, but I am going to try to make it work and hopefully that would help out.
Also, as of now I work both those weekends, I know we get a week off for christmas but I will have to check the calendar for which days, the 17th may be possible.

Hey you never know, he may end up getting bit by the off-roading bug and become a regular wheeler. A neighbor down the road has an Bobcat S250, but he has no interest in wheeling. He helps clear the road when an ice/snow storm hits, but beyond that he keeps to himself. It seems a lot of people out there own equipment, but getting them out there on a workday is a whole different story.

You can't blame them too much I guess, equipment is expensive and time is money. And I am not sure how thrilled most people would be about taking their equipment on some of the trails with all the rocks etc. But like I said you never know, your friend with the S185 might be work out. Trust me if I won the lottery I would just go out and buy one and be done with it. Park it in the spray field and not have to worry about it. :beer:

I hear ya, its brand new, wheeled machine not tracks, bucket, etc... I plan to talk to him, just a matter of convinving him its worthwhile, maybe he will enjoy riding the bobcat so much well just want to do extra work. Haha.

Yeah, I would love to own a bobcat myself.

Saturday

I'll be there in the morning for breakfast...
Leaving in the morning from my GF's, so only 45 min away...

I'll be there in the morning for breakfast...
Leaving in the morning from my GF's, so only 45 min away...

We usually sit in the back near the fireplace to eat, if for some reason we aren't in the back eating we will be on the side with the cooler eating. I wish my trip was only 45 minutes. :driver:

I'll be there, 1 other is trying, haven't heard from anybody else.
HEY, XJ FREAK HO, bring your Bobcat friend on the rides!:beer:

Glad to hear you will be making it out. That is actually a good idea, can't hurt for your Bobcat friend to ride along. Especially on one of the workdays where we actually have a Bobcat out there.

I went to RS Braswell Bobcat today and got the receipts for a past couple rentals. So well over $1,000 will be credited to the RTP funds, which is great considering it could mean more RTP funds.

My plans are currently to be there around 8AM for breakfast. I am going grocery shopping still tonight so it will be a late night, but that hasn't stopped me yet. :beer:

Dropping my father off at the Freedom Flight at 7am but will be there after, can't wait to see some of you!

Thanks to everyone that came out, we had a very successful workday. We got an early start which ended up being a good thing after the delays we suffered on the trail trying to interpret what the instructions were. But after we got everything straightened out it was smooth sailing from there. A big thanks to everyone for working hard and getting up 9 pieces of guard rail, plus multiple "arrow posts", the adopt-a-trail sign, and a bunch of trail diamonds. My part was minimal at best, so thanks again for making the workday a success.

We did learn that next time information needs to be relayed on paper, especially when dealing with an entirely new trail/area that no one is familiar with. Pile on top of that the amount of information being relayed orally, and you end up with the confusion we had to sort through.

Take the idea of that we some how weren't supposed to take our trucks on the re-route, but some how transport the guard rail and posts, auger/equipment etc, down the trail. All because it had rained, and they didn't want to tear up the trail before it gets inspected. Later we find out the re-route hadn't been properly blocked off (tire tracks everywhere) and people had been driving on it/tearing it up anyway. So it was a learn as we went situation, which in the end worked out very well.

For those that attended that want to actually know relatively where we were on the map here you go:

aimg823.imageshack.us_img823_9664_workdaymap.jpg

We entered the Forest Service Saw Mill access "road" at the arrow number 1. We traveled down the road to where the trees were down at near arrow number 2. Arrow number 2 is where the last piece of guard rail is at the intersection of the
Saw Mill Access Road, The old Saw Mill Trail, and the re-route. The part of Saw Mill that is being closed in in the light green. We then traveled from arrow number 2 to arrow number 3 on the re-route. Arrow number 3 is where we turned around and headed back.

Hopefully that gives everyone that attended little more of an idea of where we were. Because I know the question during the beginning of the day was "Where are we?".

I will also be sending an e-mail to Terry Savery with the concerns about certain sections of the trail that everyone had. From there hopefully we can fix the issues, or possibly the contractors can fix them before they leave. I enjoyed riding the new re-route section. It definitely has a different feel to it than all the other trails in the trail system, which was a nice change.

@minimdr, Sorry we didn't get to say adios at the end there. You walked over to the buggy and everyone decided it was time to head out. Was great having you out there on your first trip to URE. Hope to see you at the upcoming workdays.

I do have some pictures to post up, and I am also looking forward to seeing the pictures/videos that others took. Thanks again everyone! :beer:

FIRST LOOK AT THE NEW TRAIL SECTION:

Kinda blurry but this is the Forest Service Access "Road" for the Saw Mill Re-route. You can see the contractor Dump Truck parked there. They had a cat Bulldozer out there too but didn't get a picture.

aimg41.imageshack.us_img41_8397_forestserviceaccessroad.jpg

Volunteer Crew and Pete running the Auger:

aimg5.imageshack.us_img5_3089_peteontheauger.jpg

Getting the post ready, and Pete this time post hole digging:

aimg651.imageshack.us_img651_9602_peteonthepostholedigger.jpg

Some of the Rail up, and a couple rigs parked:

aimg18.imageshack.us_img18_2252_guardrailnrigs.jpg

Rigs parked near the RML entrance to the re-route:

aimg560.imageshack.us_img560_4094_rmlsideofreroute.jpg

Quick break before putting up the next section of rail:

aimg685.imageshack.us_img685_8960_guardrailandworkers.jpg

All the way in the background you can see Rocky Mountain Loop and the barricade blocking the entrance to the re-route:

aimg513.imageshack.us_img513_7649_rmlbarricade.jpg

Everyone parked on the Forest Service Saw Mill Access Road getting ready to put up the last piece of guard rail:

aimg4.imageshack.us_img4_7108_linedupabouttoleave.jpg

Last piece of guard rail put up. Rare view of vehicles on the OTHER side of the guard rail:

aimg560.imageshack.us_img560_291_lastpeiceup.jpg

Group shot (Pete and Drew took the pictures) right before we left:

aimg10.imageshack.us_img10_9382_groupphotbehindrail.jpg

thanks for posting up. We had a good time yesterday.

More Pictures and videos...

Here are some pictures I took during the workday...
alh6.googleusercontent.com__kK1bSDJ2gKg_Tppxv_hMrrI_AAAAAAAAAee2bcf1d62846d99a339c2c6aa6a4b3ca.jpg

alh3.googleusercontent.com__sRHCVwaxN2Y_TppxMRkLIaI_AAAAAAAAAe55a4e7f0db765f1b3a9dc478cfb0e908.jpg

alh3.googleusercontent.com__efMRBXMeoUw_TppwevCOwWI_AAAAAAAAAb4609be492a4beb6ae61f6ae554af61f5.jpg

alh6.googleusercontent.com__MKakr8mIiQA_TppvksmptZI_AAAAAAAAAbf243f3c7686e7786b25345f99bb05df0.jpg

alh5.googleusercontent.com___eq_JCy2ttU_TppuyfbJovI_AAAAAAAAAbfc29169763ad9855402a8df63a23c468.jpg

alh5.googleusercontent.com__G20mI5mEalU_Tpps4rzg2wI_AAAAAAAAAb58af5229a6ee1a6ebdcfa9b85add29f2.jpg

alh6.googleusercontent.com__DRmd__5fEls_TppryGynpQI_AAAAAAAAAb5109120e0dd2ef49702355f7da2c9cb0.jpg

alh6.googleusercontent.com__0H8RjKP10hU_TppqvhMh_5I_AAAAAAAAAb534808c04d3904b640f9e836b14dac93.jpg

alh5.googleusercontent.com__NVD1R_KDsFw_TppqG6hXj5I_AAAAAAAAAb6d76a7b2933927b20f1cc7f6991f905f.jpg

alh6.googleusercontent.com__1OzQx2zJybE_Tppph4A8FvI_AAAAAAAAAbb6054fd3ce7f45aceba37932f3a357d9.jpg

alh4.googleusercontent.com__31BgXY1buJU_TppoN_XyB4I_AAAAAAAAAbf5dd25624e002469baba65ece20163b2.jpg

alh5.googleusercontent.com__PJ6CFiarP0w_TppoGJam5PI_AAAAAAAAAb16155c6e89d365bf4fcec52ed25cc48f.jpg

alh4.googleusercontent.com__NXByWoBdom0_TppnIwJOxFI_AAAAAAAAAc2a1fa02d6e6dad5cb087a6dd10dd28a6.jpg

alh4.googleusercontent.com__9qQykK_zVu8_TppmRmILpCI_AAAAAAAAAc8db2050f09425e9c01be4ae7b42ed807.jpg

alh5.googleusercontent.com__JtoQ5lsKoCE_TpplWTlNpXI_AAAAAAAAAc612ddc017229e6869aa24b9f78ab3534.jpg

alh5.googleusercontent.com__4chee_O84LY_TppklAB6YTI_AAAAAAAAAcbeb05a5f1eee0ff53cd4ff5b881fa8de.jpg

alh3.googleusercontent.com__UziWreyPufQ_Tppj1zwFEBI_AAAAAAAAAc0ac9da5c48b79f345eae3516f00c67f4.jpg

alh5.googleusercontent.com__GXINRzFAnaI_Tppi2WvxzCI_AAAAAAAAAc33e75f229cae18d8b12ad26b3394fd74.jpg

alh6.googleusercontent.com__dIeHlk6dB1Y_TppiCwU4_0I_AAAAAAAAAc29c959d6351026f3f2286016ddece43b.jpg

alh6.googleusercontent.com__raqnsC_uCqs_Tppg9GaLxUI_AAAAAAAAAc1282f309f8ba9fcd164b16de9479f30f.jpg

alh3.googleusercontent.com__PKmaN_H6z3k_Tppf7l3_cWI_AAAAAAAAAccc8ad10a0ec3602e5e270a1aefe41644.jpg

alh4.googleusercontent.com__vDxzy_vAgeM_TppfAZwIUZI_AAAAAAAAAc5a62afc0f4a8d4644d90c971b505b1e6.jpg

alh3.googleusercontent.com__xf29I_0ic9Q_TppePBHUXaI_AAAAAAAAAca72fdd6b4fd4bdd65044583fc9041873.jpg

alh6.googleusercontent.com__h_sDXI__L7c_TppdYbA6R8I_AAAAAAAAAc917bfebc59c3203dbbb5085e9a2a9d40.jpg

alh3.googleusercontent.com__Xz4YvmVyi3I_TppbXOcED9I_AAAAAAAAAc0b8fe0d3c6ef9ffadbd566073f4a21e5.jpg

alh3.googleusercontent.com__I_SMgy3LUwc_TppaTcHbMyI_AAAAAAAAAc27f92977ca61cab42202907a04415e79.jpg

alh6.googleusercontent.com__KqZkuVjwa4o_TppZXM4HsdI_AAAAAAAAAc49679b97be9eb1a3546418cc4635123f.jpg

alh6.googleusercontent.com__hclgkYzHAfA_TppYgKsPnDI_AAAAAAAAAd62ff41e9ceeabf08078be4135c4f0823.jpg

alh6.googleusercontent.com__UV8_Joe9C5M_TppXdDiD3rI_AAAAAAAAAdfa55fcbcadb52b27ea56831391e4914d.jpg

alh4.googleusercontent.com__EX34DXOwZW4_TppWf0WCs9I_AAAAAAAAAda54ce806160c5307fe23cfeb3ebfcb1f.jpg

alh6.googleusercontent.com__FqxaCr2V4Zo_TppUVapCdRI_AAAAAAAAAd8adf4bae32d2b2135a13d0b4041bd1ff.jpg

alh5.googleusercontent.com__YfDgu_zYYdI_TppTgqPEfVI_AAAAAAAAAd793274e3fe8f566904063ffbf8aeb247.jpg

alh5.googleusercontent.com__QeFWfy7BL5c_TpsAW6_WvwI_AAAAAAAAAd6be689f1384d12c082650fe568ce368a.jpg

alh6.googleusercontent.com__si17xtUr3zM_TppRyrFtOLI_AAAAAAAAAd46a57ee7fc8b041ed7948e053b791b3a.jpg

alh4.googleusercontent.com__HCWbpfxexd4_TppQzGzx_YI_AAAAAAAAAd52359e7e849bc47d42fbe81d9d2cf130.jpg

alh3.googleusercontent.com__22Qn5H15p2E_TppQg5FNaBI_AAAAAAAAAe464b924580708eab27b7d9d27bc7da2f.jpg

Back