Uwharrie Trail Work Day #6, September 18th

Will you be attending Work Day #6?

• Total voters
Speaking of the "trail work day e-mail" that Terry Savery usually sends out. It just went out, I sent it to everyone. After talking with Janet (Becker) on the phone she asked me to relay info for her through a last minute e-mail. So anyone that gets the work day e-mail should have just gotten it in their inbox. Its nothing special but I guess something is better than nothing.

To put it simply though once again there will be no guard-railing put up. It will be a simple pick up trash/trail markers/dig out trail ditches/etc day. :beer:

@Terry: If we are talking about your regular hot dogs I would say yes. I eat 3 or more. If you are talking the meltdown hot dogs I don't know if people can handle more than one. :D

I think I wanna try Daniel. Either during or after the workday.:driver:

I think I wanna try Daniel. Either during or after the workday.:driver:

Back in April I did Daniel with no issues (going up from the parkinglot), but I haven't seen the trail since May when I did trail inventory with Terry Savery (going down from RML). I don't know about doing Daniel on a work day, but it is a possibility. If we do end up riding on Daniel I may just ride with someone to play trail guide/spotter.

Could you post the email here so everyone else can read it please?
how do I get on the mailing list?

It was just a basic last minute e-mail so everyone knew what was going on. No club specifics etc.

Hey everyone,

Janet Becker asked me to relay the work day information to everyone in a last minute e-mail since Terry Savery and others have been out of town. As with the last work day the focus will be basic trail maintenance. IE: Cleaning Trail Ditches, Putting up Diamond Markers, Picking up Trash, Putting out Hay Bales, etc etc. She has informed me that Rodney and Pete will be meeting with us per usual in the Hunt Camp Parkinglot at 9AM. Make sure to bring the usual tools and supplies, or if need be stop by Janet's for loaner tools. Also please let Janet know if you have anyone camping for the work day. Looking forward to seeing everyone out there again.

Thanks,
-Eli Pupavatz

We are always looking for new incentives to either get people involved with the work days/volunteering etc. Or offer fun/interesting incentives for those that are all ready volunteering. This includes the stickers on stickers program, past discounts on food at the work days, etc etc.

I have been talking with Terry THDG about a new food based program. We are going to be trying out something called the "Nuclear Meltdown Hotdog Challenge". During lunch at the work day will be the test run. So if you like Spicy foods, and want to get your input used to fine tune the challenge prepare yourself for this Saturday. Eat the Nuclear Meltdown Hotdog to win a free hot dog, plus your name on the wall of flames.

This is a great opportunity for the volunteers to have some fun and get to give feed back on what could become a regular work day tradition :beer:

nuclearmeltdown.jpg

We are always looking for new incentives to either get people involved with the work days/volunteering etc. Or offer fun/interesting incentives for those that are all ready volunteering. This includes the stickers on stickers program, past discounts on food at the work days, etc etc.

On the soapbox...

I think a major incentive to the workday program would be for whomever is representing the FS in this endeavor to put together an actual plan for the workdays, and then stick with that plan. Based on what I have observed thus far this year, I can only assume there is no actual plan. Earlier this year, I was genuinely interested in rekindling an old association with the workdays. Presently, I just don't know if that interest is going to survive.

In addition, there are a good number of other people who are honestly interested in participating in a FS workday program, but at the present time there just doesn't seem to be much of a program for them... and finally, it is my opinion that unorganized trash-pickups just don't quite qualify as FS workdays.

... off the soapbox.

I've only talked to Janet for like 15 minuets but the impression I got from her was the reason they have us doing a lot of trash pickup is the summer heat. There afraid we will get burnt out or injured because of the heat. I could be way off I'm no expert just a worker bee:beer:

I trust we're still on for trail work Saturday ...
I'll meet yall a the hunting lodge at 9 ....and I'll be wantin to try one the those nuclear hotdogs at lunch :)
Steve

Well this really sucks but I can't go. I would love to tell you why but I would rant and rave like a lunatic so I'm going to drink my beer instead and say sorry and hope to see you guys next time.

On the soapbox...

I think a major incentive to the workday program would be for whomever is representing the FS in this endeavor to put together an actual plan for the workdays, and then stick with that plan. Based on what I have observed thus far this year, I can only assume there is no actual plan. Earlier this year, I was genuinely interested in rekindling an old association with the workdays. Presently, I just don't know if that interest is going to survive.

In addition, there are a good number of other people who are honestly interested in participating in a FS workday program, but at the present time there just doesn't seem to be much of a program for them... and finally, it is my opinion that unorganized trash-pickups just don't quite qualify as FS workdays.

... off the soapbox.

Well all I can do is tell you what I know.

1.)Usually to my understanding (From Janet and Terry Savery) they don't have "work days" during the summer. But last year everyone pushed for a work day the 3rd Saturday of every month. So the Forest Service gave the group (I don't know who exactly it was) what they wanted this year.

2.)The huge reason is the heat and humidity during the summer. Too many times have they (The Forest Service) had medical emergencies during summer work days from heat exhaustion etc in volunteers. During the peak hot month(s) of summer they are happy to see anyone out there, let alone amazed if more than 4-5 people show. And due to the heat they eliminate any heavy work and reduce it to just trash pick up, putting up trail markers, doing trail inventory etc.

3.)The contractors working on the trails are really throwing things through the loop. They have a dead line to have everything completed, but beyond that there isn't a set in stone schedule. So you never know what part of Rocky Mnt Loop will be closed, or if Falls Dam will be closed. Since we have primarily been helping on Falls Dam that even further increases the difficulty of knowing if we will be able to put up guard railing etc.

4.)Throw the shooting incident ontop of all this. So the FS has had the higher ups from Asheville there breathing down their throats. Plus they have been out of town for all kinds of meetings, etc. And keep in mind the higher ups may be there because of the shooting range, but they also take a look at the trails etc.

So it has been a very busy year for the FS so far, and you put all that together it doesn't make for a "rock solid work day schedule". I foresee in October, November, possibly December and through the off-season the work days will be more focus and have heavier work loads. The contractors will be done, Falls will be in full swing and things will go a bit smoother.

I'll be there no matter what, as best I can. Dig a hole fill it up, whatever, I'm ready to go!:driver:

Thanks to all the vollenteers today, It was a education at the Q & A time at the 9:00 meeting with Rodney and Pete. Many questions were answered! I will support the workers the best I can because the deserve it!

Thanks to everyone that turned out for the workday! And I have to agree the Q&A with Rodney and Pete was great. For those not familiar with the work days we usually spend 30 minutes or so at the Hunt Camp talking with the FS/getting the low down for the work day. We spent just about an hour and a half this time.

@ Brian: Thanks for letting me ride along for the Daniel work day. Was a nice change of pace. :beer:

@ Terry: As always the hot dogs were awesome, we appreciate the support you give the group.

@ NCJeyota & 89Runner: You guys did an awesome job helping with the tree blockade, thanks again for coming out.

@ 1980CJ7: Was great getting to meet you. You went above and beyond to pick up trash hiking up/down hills that most people wouldn't even think attempting.

Was a nice change of pace riding on Daniel. We cleaned up trash and put up trail markers on the parkinglot side that got missed the last work day by the other group. We also put up a tree blockade to prevent access to the CLOSED Forest Service road next to the Z-Turn:

0918101233a.jpg

The winch on Brian's truck came in extremely handy as we winched down fallen trees to use in the tree blockade. We put trail diamonds across it for visibilty etc. It may only last a month or two before idiots break it apart etc but for 30 minutes invested it was worth it.

Just got home 15 minutes ago, so now its time to pass out and sleep. :beer:

Glad to lend a hand. It was a good day out there ....and Damn, those were some good HOT dogs ... :lol:

You blew me away at the Nuclear Meltdown Hotdog challenge. Ate 2 of them, and all you had afterwards was a tiny sip of water. Now the other guy didn't fair so well. He ended up loosing his hot dog on the trail and what ever else was in his stomach. :lol:

OMG! Just learned that!

CFSJC workday on our adopted trail, Dickey Bell
This one was this past weekend. Another small turnout, but lots of work got done. Only 3 FSJs were there, but we had 7 workers.
Here are some pics-
meeting with officials-
ai166.photobucket.com_albums_u88_momentumauto_002_9.jpg

Our trail, only temporary and only a short length of it-
ai166.photobucket.com_albums_u88_momentumauto_004_6.jpg

Construction area of the new bridge to keep us out of the stream-
ai166.photobucket.com_albums_u88_momentumauto_008_4.jpg

Moving a fallen tree again-
ai166.photobucket.com_albums_u88_momentumauto_DSCF0866.jpg

Some of the trash we picked up-
ai166.photobucket.com_albums_u88_momentumauto_021_1.jpg

Another issue with a tree...
ai166.photobucket.com_albums_u88_momentumauto_016_2.jpg

It is now off trail. Had some issues with the 4-wheelers. One in particular...

Back