Uwharrie Trail Work Day #20, February 25th

Will You Be Attending?

• Total voters
My wife is coming along also, so yes there will be more there.

Are there going to be any other women coming out for the day?
I am thinking that I will be able to come at this point. I also want to take some pictures, and of course I do plan on working.
sandy
My wife is coming along also, so yes there will be more there.

Wait... women into off roading? Man I hope I find one when this divorce is over!

I might be able to come, but I will be on light duty. i have been under the weather off and on for a month now.

Ill be there with 2 others to help...any word on work load for Saturday? Iam only asking because Ill be driving my Titan up but havent decided if I want to trailer the rig....will a Titan be able to safely get where we will be working or should I bring the rig so I can drive that without tearing up my Titan?

One thing we'll need to work on this year is some re-numbering and re-signing of 3 trails that have gotten new numbers this past year.

To clean up some of our infrastructure & trails numbering on the forest we changed the following trails numbers and we'll need to correct these on the orange trail markers & on the carsonite signs, etc.

The changes are: Slab Pile Trail is now Trail #79; Dickey Bell Trail is now Trail #91; and Sawmill Trail is now Trail # 93.

I'd like one to two groups of 2 people on Saturday to go out with markers and decals and signs etc to start working on re-signing these trails.

So here is the list of tasks to work on this weekend. These were flagged & numbered last week & I’m hoping my flagging is still up.

I'll have my list & map & directions with me to go over with folks on Saturday.

1. Re-signing Slab Pile, Sawmill & Dickey Bell Trails. 2 groups of 2 people will work on this by themselves.

2. Install split rail fencing on Dickey Bell Trail near the new bridge. Drew will be working with this group. We'll have the new hand augers with us. The split rail fencing is already out there.

3. Install about 100 ft of guardrail on Slab Pile Trail about 0.3 to 0.5 miles east of the intersection with Wolf Den Trail. This is where the small creek crossing was armored and reshaped last year. (4 long rails and 5 posts)

4. Install 3 sections of guardrail at a bypass of RML trail that is north east of where Sawmill Trail intersects with RML. There is an upper, middle and lower section of access points for this illegal bypass that needs to be blocked off. (Upper Section = 4 long rails & 5 posts; Middle Section = 2 short rails & 3 posts; Lower Section = 1 long rail & 2 posts for a Total of 4 long rails & 3 short rails and 10 posts)

5. There are 2 sections of Slab Pile that need to have some ATV bypasses slashed in and to install some hay bales in the tail ditch.

We'll have a Bobcat with an auger working with us starting about noon on Friday. If any volunteers can come on Friday please let Eli Pupavotz & I know asap & we'll meet you at the Dutch John Trailhead (aka Double Parking Lot) on Forest Road 553 at noon. We'll probably try to haul some guardrail into place on Friday to reduce the amount of hauling of them on Saturday.

Supplies to bring are: chains, D rings, ratchets, drills & socket sets, shovels, rock bars, sledge hammers, claw foot hammers, lunch & water & appropriate clothing.

I'll have day passes for you to use on the trail on Saturday. You'll only be working on Saturday, February 25th.

If you are chainsaw certified please bring your equipment and safety gear in case there are trails to be cleared.

Thanks a lot everyone. We'll see you on Saturday at 9 am at the Uwharrie Hunt Camp

Lots to do. And looks like a big turn out is coming as well.

well, i will not be coming after all. my jeep was supposed to be out of the shop from major motor work today, but it will not be ready. So i will catch the next one...

and as far as women liking this.....i have been into off roading for about 20 years. and I like camping too. ...and I even have all my teeth and a job....lol

sandy

Brian beat me to posting up the workday e-mail. But some key notes to changes for Friday if in some rare occasion anyone finds themselves able to attend tomorrow:

Meetup will be Noon at the Wolf Den Trail Head. This will be the new meetup location instead of the Double Parkinglot.

We need to at least get 4 hours of use out of the Bobcat, and for some reason I don't see it taking use 4 hours to haul guard rail tomorrow. The Bobcat isn't THAT slow. We have the T300 which is rated for 3klbs lifting, if we can use some creativity I am sure we can haul all the guard rail at once. Hopefully this will mean some bridge removal time etc on Friday also.

Saturday it seems the main efforts will be centered around guard rail install. The guard rail on Saw-Mill shouldn't take too long, the area doesn't seem to be too rocky. Now Rocky Mountain Loop is different, the amount of time we spend out there will mainly be by how easy the holes are to drill. Miracles do happen, so we will just have to wait and see.:driver:

Great turn out today all.

And got 102 for a sticker. Lower than last year.

ai166.photobucket.com_albums_u88_momentumauto_IMG_20120225_130728.jpg

I seen who got 007 out there though.

Think he had some inside help though.

We, CFSJC, got to repair and install split rail fencing along the stream at the bottom of our trail near the new bridge. It was odd installing split rail instead of the guard rail like we have been installing lately, but either way auger+rocks=lots of cuss words

ai166.photobucket.com_albums_u88_momentumauto_th_VID_20120225_130850.jpg

The workdays this past weekend were very productive. Friday started off rocky with Shane blowing a tire hauling the T-300 from RS Braswell to URE, but in the end we got started without too much of a delay.

Goal for Friday was to drag guard rail into place at two locations, and then get some tail ditches cleaned out. We had dragged in the guard rail for the Slab Pile trail, so the main (small) group left to go drag guard rail up Rocky Mountain Loop, leaving me behind to clean out tail ditches on Slab Pile.

On Slab Pile at the Saw-Mill intersection, getting ready to work back to the Wolf Den trail head cleaning out trail ditches as I go (bucket still clean even).

aimg706.imageshack.us_img706_7104_0224121406.jpg

Done with the tail ditch clean outs (bucket is nasty with muck), at the Wolf Den trail head, but there is a gate blocking the way.

aimg10.imageshack.us_img10_4908_0224121513b.jpg

But not a problem:

aimg804.imageshack.us_img804_4983_0224121514.jpg

Now to get ready for a 25 minute ride on Forest Service roads to the Rocky Mountain Loop trail. Would be much faster taking the Mazda 626 (what I drove up to URE), but I digress. The main group got back and helped load the auger into the bucket of the Bobcat. About to leave:

aimg580.imageshack.us_img580_2585_0224121517.jpg

25 minutes later we arrive at another pesky gate:

aimg846.imageshack.us_img846_1433_0224121612a.jpg

Again not a problem:

aimg401.imageshack.us_img401_1418_0224121614.jpg

And at last, the T300 sits hidden on Rocky Mountain Loop waiting for the next days work. Which will include guard rail install, more tail ditch cleaning, re-flagging trails, and split rail install.

aimg214.imageshack.us_img214_1308_0224121621.jpg

This was my best attempt to make looking at a bunch of still shots of a bobcat interesting. Considering I was alone for half the workday, and the other half we were busy messing with the guard rail these are the best shots I got to take. That sums up Friday pretty much.

Saturday was another good day. I wasn't on my A-Game exactly due to fighting off some sinus problems, and some other issues but we still got the work done quickly and efficiently. I usually am the sole operator of the Bobcat, but today a various group of people got to run it which was a great experience for everyone. It even came in handy when my nerves were shot and someone else was able to get the T-300 up a tricky little ditch.

We got our monies worth out of the T-300, and it really shined in getting the guard rail installed. The tip of the auger bit broke off in the first hole, and then at least one tooth broke off of the auger bit after that. But it still drilled the holes in extremely rocky conditions quickly and efficiently, even with a worn out/half busted auger bit. Glenn was a quick study on the Bobcat and got the holes for the other 2 sections knocked out quick. After the guard rail was up we switched back to the 4in1 Bucket and I got to clean out some tail ditches. Can't argue with "playing in the dirt".

aimg534.imageshack.us_img534_8735_0225121148.jpg

aimg839.imageshack.us_img839_5193_0225121149a.jpg

aimg263.imageshack.us_img263_5808_0225121149b.jpg

aimg685.imageshack.us_img685_5345_0225121151.jpg

aimg825.imageshack.us_img825_3269_0225121151a.jpg

aimg9.imageshack.us_img9_7241_0225121202.jpg

aimg31.imageshack.us_img31_2374_0225121203.jpg

Back