Uwharrie Heavy Trail Work Day/Weekend #14, June 17-19

When Will You Be Attending?

• Total voters
I copied and pasted the schedule and preliminary work plan into one document, printed the map from the first page, printed a few out and stapled them together. This way we can see what needs to be done and where it is on the map. I'll bring some extras. Maybe not enough for everyone, but enough that hopefully you can find one when you need it.

Was just wondering did that include the list of 19 work sites and descriptions? If not is anyone planning on printing out a copy? I know its sad both my printers are from the ice age and don't work, but it would be very beneficial to have at least one copy with if not a couple.

Things that may have been posted or possibly not, but last minute reminders.

Breakfast is 8AM. We usually sit in the back of the Outpost near the where the fire place is. It has the most seating. If you are looking for us, that is where we will be.

Weather is going to be in the low 90s, so bring plenty of fluids. I will be bringing 2 coolers (I bought another one from Wal-Mart just for the work weekend) full of water. But you can never have enough with the group we are looking at having.

VERY IMPORTANT!

If you need camping please let me know ASAP! I need to let Janet Becker know how many campsites we need, and she is nearly booked all ready.

Dinner Saturday night will be at Zeno's Italian in Troy. Its not far away, is fairly priced, and has HUGE portions. A large Stromboli takes up a large pizza pan, enough food for at least 2 people.

If you are staying for Sunday the schedule will be nearly the same. Breakfast at 8AM, and a re-grouping at Hunt Camp at 9AM. I don't think we will have Forest Service with us Sunday. Goal is to get any work we didn't get done Saturday, plus clean out some tail ditches. After that we will ride the trails and have some fun.

If you don't have a season pass and will be volunteering DON'T BUY TRAIL PASSES. That is unless you just feel the need to support the Forest and chip in your $5 a day. FREE trail passes will be provided for everyone volunteering by the Forest Service.

I don't know if anyone has any GRMS hand held radios. If you do and don't mind please bring them. In the instance the groups get split up, they will be vital for communication.

EAR PLUGS! Another important thing. We will be using a hydraulic breaker in areas where rock needs to be busted up. The Forest Service will be providing ear plugs, but if you have your own feel free to bring them. Please don't forget to grab a pair when they are handed out. The hydraulic breaker is just a big jack hammer, and it will suck to work around if you don't have any.

Something the Forest Service is stressing is bagged lunches. Terry Moorefield won't be out there, so we will be doing a trail side lunch. Make sure to pack a lunch or pick one up from the Outpost etc. A cool idea presented was to get Chris to deliver lunches, which is a good idea but I don't think we will have time to work that out this time around.

I am sure there are a couple other things to post up, but I am just rolling them off the top of my head.

We let Terry Savery know that CNC will have 5 workers there on Saturday. See you at 9AM!

The packets I printed up have a color map, the schedule and the numbered list of work sites.

I have 4 radios and they are already packed.

If anyone is on a CB, our group will be on Channel 14.

We let Terry Savery know that CNC will have 5 workers there on Saturday. See you at 9AM!

She did forward that information to me. Its great to hear we will have more people out there.

The packets I printed up have a color map, the schedule and the numbered list of work sites.
I have 4 radios and they are already packed.
If anyone is on a CB, our group will be on Channel 14.

That is good news about the packets, just wanted to clarify on that. As far as the radios they would be most beneficial if each work group had 1 radio. I don't know if you trust other people with them, so its up to you. Most of the volunteers have CB Radios, we usually pick a channel before we leave Hunt Camp. I don't know how much chatter will be on 14, so hopefully you guys don't mind if we end up on another channel. Usually we switch channels at least 1 because of local chatter.

I honestly don't know exactly how the groups will be split up. The idea I proposed to Terry and Rodney was that we keep our efforts in one large work area, with groups working on different sites. For example if we started on slab pile, we would work on the sites in order, splitting up people between say the first 3 or 4 work sites. Say one group gets done on the 2nd work site before the other 3 groups, they would "leapfrog" over to the 5th work site etc etc.

I think the leapfrog is a good idea. Last month I was driving Terry around and we spent a lot of time taking the cable cutter back and forth. If we were all closer it would make that a lot easier to manage. Another thing to think about is the satisfaction of saying "we fixed Slab Pile" instead of "we did some work on slab pile, but it needs more we didn't get to".

IMPORTANT SAFETY WARNING/NAGGING
Saturdays forecast is HOT. DAMN HOT. So everyone be sure to bring plenty of fluids, a good hat/head cover, and keep an eye on everyone you are working with for signs of heat exhaustion:
Heat exhaustion is one of the heat-related syndromes, which range in severity from mild heat cramps to heat exhaustion to potentially life-threatening heatstroke.
Signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion often begin suddenly, sometimes after excessive exercise, heavy perspiration, and inadequate fluid or salt intake. Signs and symptoms resemble those of shock and may include:

* Feeling faint or dizzy
* Nausea
* Heavy sweating
* Rapid, weak heartbeat
* Low blood pressure
* Cool, moist, pale skin
* Low-grade fever
* Heat cramps
* Headache
* Fatigue
* Dark-colored urine

If you suspect heat exhaustion:

* Get the person out of the sun and into a shady or air-conditioned location.
* Lay the person down and elevate the legs and feet slightly.
* Loosen or remove the person's clothing.
* Have the person drink cool water or other nonalcoholic beverage without caffeine.
* Cool the person by spraying or sponging him or her with cool water and fanning.
* Monitor the person carefully. Heat exhaustion can quickly become heatstroke.
While there is a shit load of work to be done, if it all does not get done, so be it. We do not need any one DYING out on the trails. You can't be a badass when you are dead.
Everyone has their own personal pace at which they can work, it is not a competition, and what doesn't get done can be done at a later date. Seriously.
I've caught myself feeling several of those above symptoms before and I've gone and sat down in the A/C and cussed myself for not sitting out sooner.
We want this to be a successful workday/weekend/event, but we don't want any one getting hurt/injured due to heat.
THANKS!

do you all want me to bring my truck still, its not a problem to, just not sure if its still needed let me know ill be there saterday morning at the outpost

we will try to make 12:00 tomorrow but the deuce is no rocketship, haha. It has sides so it can haul everything except a$$

do you all want me to bring my truck still, its not a problem to, just not sure if its still needed let me know ill be there saterday morning at the outpost

We will need at least 2 trucks, so if you could still bring your truck that would be great. We have the following attachments (operating weight listed):

Auger w/ 9" Bit - 215lbs + weight of 9" bit = Over 300lbs
Hydraulic Breaker - 800lbs +
Toothed Bucket - 500lbs +
Grading Bucket - 500lbs +
4in1 Combination Bucket - 1,142lbs

2 of those will be attached to the Bobcats of course, the other 3 need to be hauled on the trails. We don't have time to drive the Bobcats to and from the parking lot to switch attachments. We would be working on the list all week.

Its going to be interesting hooking up these attachments especially switching between the 4in1 combo bucket.

we will try to make 12:00 tomorrow but the deuce is no rocketship, haha. It has sides so it can haul everything except a$$

Good to hear! I know the not hauling a$$ thing, my little 2.6L 4 banger loves trying to spin 34" TSLs on the highway.

My buddy Andy and I will be there Saturday morning, hoping for a few others, and some more in the afternoon after work.

He has a Comanche so that may help in transporting of the equipment.

My buddy Andy and I will be there Saturday morning, hoping for a few others, and some more in the afternoon after work.

He has a Comanche so that may help in transporting of the equipment.

Cool because there will be 10 cones, 4 signs, 4 fold out barricades, hand tools, coolers, and other stuff to transport also. Keep in mind we will be 2 trail rigs down because Chris and I will be driving the bobcats on the trails.

Buddy with the manche has to work tomorrow now, they had a guy walk out. Currently have no other way to get there for the morning, few ppl comin saturday evening ill probably ride with.

Sorry Eli, no manche.

Who all is going to be there tomorrow? Looking to hook up with some people

Who all is going to be there tomorrow? Looking to hook up with some people

not sure but I hope a lot because there is a lot of work still to do..

I just wanted to let everyone know I found a handheld Walkie-Talkie in my jeep when I got home. I guess my passenger left it there.

Whoever it belongs to please send me a PM and we can arrange its safe return.

chris

I just wanted to let everyone know I found a handheld Walkie-Talkie in my jeep when I got home. I guess my passenger left it there.

Whoever it belongs to please send me a PM and we can arrange its safe return.

chris

That would probably be GotLime's. Is there green tape on the back with intials on it?

I had a radio of his also, plus the surplus grease that was purchased. Both of what I had (radio and grease) I left at Janet Becker's the Arrowhead Campgrounds host. I saw the deuce parked at the Outpost when I left, and left a note with the lady there to let Chris know when she was him.

I had a radio of his also, plus the surplus grease that was purchased. Both of what I had (radio and grease) I left at Janet Becker's the Arrowhead Campgrounds host. I saw the deuce parked at the Outpost when I left, and left a note with the lady there to let Chris know when she was him.

Thanks for letting me know Eli. So I just go the campground and ask for Janet Becker next time I'm at URE? Do you have any contact info for her?

i be there sat. morning i be bringing my 85 ford 4x4 f150. your welcome to throw in what you my think we will need. plus i'l bring the tools i have also. see you there

Back