Utility bed, service body options...

Will Carter

I'm on the hunt. Getting started early for KOH 2010.

Anybody know what you'd call one of the utility beds that are actually shaped like a factory bed? Looks like a factory bed but with cabinets cut in it...?...

...or...

Wanted: Utility bed for short bed Dodge Ram 2500 single wheel. Need it to be as short if not shorter than the factory bed sides.

i actually looked into these this morning, i'll give you a cal with what i discovered.

I probably don't even want to know what those 'formed' service bodies would cost.

I guess right now I'd be more interested in a short bed service body that doesn't extend higher than a normal bed as to still be able to tow my gooseneck trailer.

Make sure you factor in the extra weight. They are anywhere from 800-1200# vs 300-400 for a regular bed...

My .02 buy one you like and simply cut it down.. I'm sure someone makes a low/short one but most are normal height as in 4-6" higher than a normal bed.. IMHO it'd be easy to cut one down. Plus getting one cheaper that would also allow you to modify the doors/bins for your needs.

To add to that, at one time I had planned to leave the front most box at full height then cut down the mid/rear portions.

That would allow you to shorten up a normal easy to find (aka cheep) 8' box to 6' and still have some work room on the sides, mount a vice, strap on coolers etc.. (Note: NOT my truck just pic I found)

box-chop.jpg

I saw like 3 service body beds for sale when I went up to Gubni's last weekend. I'd say they were for long bed trucks though...but maybe not

So the alternate bed search just got put into overdrive today...:lol:

6 years of dodging traffic in Boone....guess it was finally my turn...

Attachments

• 03-09-09_1615.jpg
    03-09-09_1615.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 670
ouch, are you alright? that sucks! now hurry up and sell me one of those wheels, haha...

At least you can't say it was my luck getting ya I've been out of town for 2 weeks!

Sorry to hear it, but it deserves a new roll pan lol.

Back