URE idea for a workday.

upnover

Grumpy, decrepit Old Man
Something that I tend to do, every time I am at URE, and because of difficulty level and distance, isn't too often, is to let folks know that what they are doing is wrong for those trails.

A workday where groups(and it would take large numbers of people) of people were located throughout the trail system to spread the word that:
It is unlawful to be drinking alcoholic beverages while inside the Forest Service land.
That littering the trails is not only unlawful, but downright disrespectful.
Riding off trail is something else that is wrong, and very well may be the actions that gets out trails closed.
That helmets should be worn at all times while operating a four wheeler or motorcycle.
That at any time, their picture could be taken and used against them.
That trail camera's could be placed anywhere, camouflaged and undetectable.

I think a good start on educating a lot of people would be to hand out flyer's at each trail head, maybe even give them to the folks when they buy a day ticket at the outpost.

And before anyone says it, a work time later in the day to pick up all such flyer's that get thrown into the trails after they throw them down.

IMO, preventive education is key. The more who know, the better

Discuss

Chip, I'm very shy of that, and I'm speaking mainly with reference to the ATV crowd. I said something one day to an ATVer who was clearly where he wasn't supposed to be, and was very quickly in the middle of a confrontation where I should mind my own damned business and move on. Naturally, there was one of me and a half dozen of them... and by law, since I opened my mouth first, I would have landed in the slammer if I had to shoot one of them. I'll let the FS take care of that part of it, but I do understand and appreciate what you are saying.

Would not have to be confrontational(although that's what i would love to do) but more so educational. And for that matter, while at locations, would be awesome to have a FS officer with each group.

Would not have to be confrontational(although that's what i would love to do) but more so educational. And for that matter, while at locations, would be awesome to have a FS officer with each group.

Just for the record, I want to clarify that I was not confrontational, but simply made the point that cutting new trails off the main ones was basically handing the FS the necessary ammo to shut us out. From there, I guess the booze kicked in and and the language got ugly. End of story.

I like the camera idea.

Sorry, but having a FS Officer at all locations is impossible! There is only one Officer in charge of security for the entire Forest.

I think there needs to be more signage.

Sure there are a few little things on the boards at the trail heads, but honestly who has read them? I know I have only read like one, at the double parking lot, just because I was right there and bored.

You know how when you enter a new state and their is a ton of signage as you enter the border about seatbelts or headlights or speed limits? Well.. why couldn't we do that?

KEEP PUBLIC LAND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!
-Don't litter on trails!
-- (reasons not to litter)
-Stay on marked trails!
-- (reasons to stay on the trails)
-C
-- (reasons, ideology)
etc

I know to US it is obvious.. but.. WE are NOT the problem. It is the ones who just go there- aren't involved in groups or forums or even the internet. Dare I say uneducated.. (by that I mean.. they are not educated in the fact we are losing land, access, trails, etc.. or how much effort the rest of us put towards fixing their mistakes)

We will always have those than in spite of being educated they will still be unruly- and THOSE are the ones we need to catch, turn in, etc.

With the FS's permission to put them up, we could build signs pretty cheap. I had planned to propose this to the club at some point and see if we could at least on our trail.. but since this thread came up I decided to go ahead and throw it out there.

I have thought about signs on multiple occasions. Because as you stated its a great simple idea. Only problem is cost. Signs aren't cheap, and the posts/means of putting them up isn't either. There are anti-theft bolts etc etc etc so thieves aren't an issue. We would just have to get up enough money to buy the signs and the supplies. :beer:

Signs aren't cheap? What kind are you going for?

Why not take a cheap 4x4 or lumber timber, bolt on a piece of painted plywood, paint the letters with stencil, or.. get someone with a vinyl cutter to cut it out then apply it. Or use sheetmetal instead of plywood.

Just talk to the clubs who adopted the trails and see if they are interested in doing it for their trail or donating money for someone to do it.

I don't know how professional or if you would want it to 'match' the forest service signs.. but I think we are thrifty enough to throw something together that would look good.

My only qualm is if the FS would let us, or what they would allow, etc..

Well there are a few things to consider.

1.)You want the signs to stand up to the elements.
2.)You want them to look "official" so people take them seriously.

A basic .040" Aluminum sign that is 18"x12" with anything we want on it will run in this ballpark:

1-4 Signs: $28.76 per sign
5-9 Signs: $17.70 per sign
10-19 Signs: $14.68 per sign
20-49 Signs: $11.58 per sign

Hopefully we can get a local sign shop to quote something cheaper. But expect it to be around the above pricing.

As with anything I am sure there are lots of other options. Again including what deals local sign shops my be able to get us on plastic signs etc. Just throwing this out there as a general cost for aluminum signs.

I'll sponser,or buy the first sign! As long as the FS does not mind. See if the other venders will follow! Ask if the clubs will sponser a sign also. Draider, I think it's a great idea! Can't let a Hot Dog Guy out do ya! Maybe NC 4X4 could maybe buy one also! Come on and be the next one to help!

Yeah I don't think the CFSJC would mind at all to put up signs on Dickey Bell. I was gonna do it anyway. :)

DRaider, since you talk to the FS on the regular, maybe you could inquire about this. But this seems like the first step.

Yes > We'll get the ball rolling however we deem fit
No > We'll figure something else out we can do

If you spend money on a "real" sign, the same fawkers that throw beer cans on the side of the trail will take it down and hang it in their car hole.

The trick is to do something that's nice enough and durable enough, but also cheap and easy to replace when it disappears or falls apart. Bonus points if it's nice enough to get the point across, but not so nice that somebody wants it for themselves in the first place.

It's a solid idea, I'm just suggesting you find a middle ground. Either way, I'll chip in.

I agree.

DRaider, since you talk to the FS on the regular, maybe you could inquire about this. But this seems like the first step.

I have to talk to Terry Savery(or at least give her a call and see if I can get in contact) tomorrow about a few things so I will ask her. I don't see why they would have a reason to say no.

What ever material/quality we decide on for the signs I would put emphasis on the anit-theft/mounting options.

awww.stopsignsandmore.com_images_Product_medium_317.jpg

You can put on bolts that have break away nuts, so you put them on with a normal wrench until the nut breaks. Then they can't remove the sign from the post. Another variation requires a special tool to put the bolts in/remove the bolts. The run around $4-$5 for a set of 2, which isn't bad if it keeps us from having to replace too many signs.

Lets say we mount the signs on 6 foot u-channel posts in theory. They would have to dig out the u-channel posts and then transport the entire thing and drill out the bolts. Its not easy to transport a sign plus a 6' post, and it takes a lot more effort to dig out the posts than to take 2 bolts out.

Just something to consider.

I'd rather have official looking signs, my .02.

I understand what you're saying.. I mean I don't want them to look trashy or hacked together. I guess what I mean is that I don't necessarily want them to look forest service issued, maybe to have them look like the clubs or real people did them.

You can sink a u-post in concrete and pop it out and throw it in the truck in a few minutes, locking bolts and all.

Also, if you do decide on "official" looking signs, talk to the FS and see where they get their stuff. Any signs they need probably come from a Federal sign shop or through the DOT. Even working with a locally-owned sign shop would be better than ordering them off the intarwebs.

I would suggest mounting them to Trees if possible this eliminates the pop out post an base and run Shawn mentioned.

Also ECORS will buy a sign when you get this approved(maybe more if I can include our logo) ....start a list

Nah, it's no hurry.

Back