Underdrive or Doubler?

maulcruiser

So I'm trying to get parts together for this rig, and I'm at a point on reduction. Drivetrain will be 8.1, TH400 or 4L80, then....something with a 205. It's a K30 regular cab long bed, so drivetrain length isn't critical, but I would like to add some length so the front driveshaft length and angle isn't as bad. I've been looking at the Magnum, the NWF EcoBox, and then the old Doubler. To me, after acquiring all the parts for the Doubler, I'm essentially the same money in for one of the others.

This isn't a which is best thread, just a preferences or experiences request. I feel that the Doubler will provide the most added length. I'm just lost. Haha! What are your thoughts?

A np24X case is usually just as long as a magnum ecobox 205 combo. Just my observation if you would consider a chain case with beefy output shafts.

Which model? I need it to be a passenger drop and I'm only familiar with the 208 and 241.
I think those are your only chain case options. A 203/205 doubler would be your second option which is probably better than magnum/ecobox if you are concerned about the lack of oil/cooling capacity in the underdrive boxes.

203/205 would be my vote. Except for the doubler adapter/shaft it would be all factory parts.
I have run a 203/205 for years. If I were to do it over again and eventually I will. I will be running a NWF eco box with my 205. My .02 is get the eco box and a 205.

I think those are your only chain case options. A 203/205 doubler would be your second option which is probably better than magnum/ecobox if you are concerned about the lack of oil/cooling capacity in the underdrive boxes.
I'm not opposed to chain, but I'm not sure they're up to the task of that much torque in addition to them only being a two speed setup.

What don't you like about the doubler? Just wanting slightly more reduction or the costs associated?
It's heavy. It has two 1.98:1 gear sets that nets 3.96:1 low low. My 205 generally is fine and at times 3.96:1 is good but I'd like the 2.73:1 option which would give me 5.4 Low low. With the 203/205 I have 2 options with the NWF black box or eco box I'd have 3 different options. Some times the 1.98 is too tall and the 3.96 is too low. That 2.73 would put me in the middle. It's theory based on years of experience with what I have and thinking that different gear set would come in handy occasionally. When I built my jeep in 07 there weren't a lot of the options there are today. Big heavy truck IMHO you would be best suited for a NWF crawl box and a 205. JMHO.

Best setup I have ever ran was a Klune (2.72) and Ford 205 combo. Had 2.0, 2.72 or 5.4 ranges available. The NWF box is essentially a newer and better Klune.
If MarsFab hadn't done such a bad ass job on my belly pan, I'd add a 2.72 NWF box in front of my Atlas in the Ranger. Just don't wanna redo (half ass) the fab he already did.

I would like to add some length so the front driveshaft length and angle isn't as bad.

The lomax setup would most likely be your shortest option, which is the opposite of one of your requests. And as Jody pointed out, they're expensive. With the availability of 231/241 underdrives now, I'd be hard pressed to pick another option.

Duane

They are not designed to fit in an OEM case also. JB Conversions sells a custom case and so does behemoth or whatever their name is these days.
They fit the GM 205 case but not the Ford version unless something changed.
Eitherway, IMO not enough gear for most

NEVERMIND: IR DUM

Last edited:
They fit the GM 205 case but not the Ford version unless something changed.
Eitherway, IMO not enough gear for most
Actually no. JB Conversions, Inc.

FAQ

Q: Can I use your gears in a stock case?
A: No, our gears only work in custom cases. They do not fit stock cases.

Q: Can I modify or machine a stock case to fit your gears?
A: No, our gears only work in custom cases.

Q: Do you sell a custom case?
A: Yes, we sell a build-it-yourself gear and case kit or a completely built unit.

Q: What side front output is available?
A: The JB Conversions custom case is passenger side front output only.

Q: Are other custom cases available and what outputs do they offer?
A: Custom Billet cases are available from Behemoth Drivetrain. They offer both passenger and driver side front outputs.

Actually no. JB Conversions, Inc.

FAQ

Q: Can I use your gears in a stock case?
A: No, our gears only work in custom cases. They do not fit stock cases.

Q: Can I modify or machine a stock case to fit your gears?
A: No, our gears only work in custom cases.

Q: Do you sell a custom case?
A: Yes, we sell a build-it-yourself gear and case kit or a completely built unit.

Q: What side front output is available?
A: The JB Conversions custom case is passenger side front output only.

Q: Are other custom cases available and what outputs do they offer?
A: Custom Billet cases are available from Behemoth Drivetrain. They offer both passenger and driver side front outputs.
Dang. They really cut a portion of the market with that move. But now they can sell their own case, so there's that I guess.

IR DUM

Last edited:
Dang. They really cut a portion of the market with that move. But now they can sell their own case, so there's that I guess.
From what I remember it has always been that way. Hence why you can only do passenger drop. At one time they were saying they were going to do a Ford but it has never happened.

Big money

Back