Turn Signals and License Plate Lights

Stankoma

Yearly Wheeler
Turn Signals and License Plate Lights Inspection Laws

OK, I don't have my orginal turn signals hooked up, I've got generic ones that I bought from autozone and wired up. I just took my truck to get inspected and they said my front turn signals don't work. Umm yes they do. I seriously think they were looking at my parking lights instead. There's no law against alternative turn signals right?

On top of that they told me I had a "CV Joint or something" going out. Umm that noise would be a locker.

Also, the light bulb on my license plate is exposed (meaning the bulb gets wet), however it works and is next to the plate, they said that would failed as well. So they sent me on my way.

Is this right? Or did I just completely get screwed?

you need to find a better station. go to a country gas station type place and they will pass it. ive heard that they have a lot of leeway on how they interpert the inspection laws

Metto said:
you need to find a better station. go to a country gas station type place and they will pass it. ive heard that they have a lot of leeway on how they interpert the inspection laws

especailly when they want to charge you $5 for a 69cent bulb.

Did they officially enter in the computer and charge you, or was this just the preliminary walk around? If they entered it in the system as failed, you can go back to the same place for a free re-inspection.

you should've asked the inspection place if the alternate turn signals were 'legal'.

RenegadeT said:
especailly when they want to charge you $5 for a 69cent bulb.
Did they officially enter in the computer and charge you, or was this just the preliminary walk around? If they entered it in the system as failed, you can go back to the same place for a free re-inspection.
you should've asked the inspection place if the alternate turn signals were 'legal'.

No they basically drove it in the bay, and drove it right back out and told me that within 30 seconds they already saw no turn signals in the front and the plate light and told me it would have failed. But nothing was entered in. I didn't want to cause a confrontation because I didn't want them to enter in a "failed". Here's the thing about the turn signals, from the inside of the truck they blink really fast (like they do when you have one out), but mine do that on purpose because there's no ground wire/relay. But they still all work. So I'm thinking they didn't even check after hearing that.

yeah i think as long as you have a plate illuminated and it can be seen from like 50 feet away or something then its legal. Also it has to be a white light, any other color will fail you and get you pulled over

Where did you take it? I've had good luck at a place just around the corner from your office.

Just so you know, taking it in and getting "failed" isn't really that bad, actually it can be good - for instance if yer overdue. When "failed", you automatically get 30 more days to get the problems fixed - they wil lgive you a printout that says you did it and failed... so if you get pulled or something for overdue inspection, you can just show him that and he can't write you up for it (overdue inspection). He coudl give you an "improper equipment" ticket if hwere a real a$$, but that's a smaller fine and no insurrance points etc.

§ 20‑125.1. Directional signals.

(a) It shall be unlawful for the owner of any motor vehicle of a changed model or series designation indicating that it was manufactured or assembled after July 1, 1953, to register such vehicle or cause it to be registered in this State, or to obtain, or cause to be obtained in this State registration plates therefor, unless such vehicle is equipped with a mechanical or electrical signal device by which the operator of the vehicle may indicate to the operator of another vehicle, approaching from either the front or rear and within a distance of 200 feet, his intention to turn from a direct line. Such signal device must be of a type approved by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. (Which are?)

§ 20‑129. Required lighting equipment of vehicles.
( d ) Rear lamps - One rear lamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed that the number plate carried on the rear of such vehicle shall under like conditions be illuminated by a white light as to be read from a distance of 50 feet to the rear of such vehicle.

Honestly though John, your turn signals suck. They are marker lights, and not NEARLY bright enough.

Rich said:
Honestly though John, your turn signals suck. They are marker lights, and not NEARLY bright enough.

True, but they are approved.

Well I took it to another place and apparently I had recently reset my readiness codes when I was using my OBDII scanner and they gave me a "Not-Ready Rejection". I didn't have to pay anything, but they handed me a pink rejection paper, told me to drive it around for about 150 more miles and then come back. They said that having your battery disconnected can reset these codes too, is that true?

If someone wanted to be really picky, they could probably fail you for using marker lights as turn signals...

Ahh I think I found the answer to my own question.

"If the required readiness monitors are not set, usually, this is caused by routine maintenance. For example, if the battery has been disconnected for any reason, the monitors of most vehicles are reset. Also, a service technician may have to reset them as part of a repair process. Essentially, the car must be driven to reset the monitors. Some manufacturers advise driving procedures while others do not. Most vehicles will become ready just through a few days of normal driving which includes a mix of highway driving and stop-and-go, city-type driving. The vehicle manufacturer or qualified service technician is the best source for this information."

I guess I'll head back there in 150 miles. And I'll look into some better turn signals. Still a little confused about the rear liense plate light. According to the above statute, it looks like I'm in the clear there.

For the light, a $5 northern tool license plate light screwed right to the plate should work just fine.. and look alot less ghetto.. :flipoff2:

Well I installed a mounted, inclosed license plate light last night. Same bulb, but it's not dimmer than ever because of the cover over the bulb. So that sucks. But that's what the inspector wants. Just gotta drive another 70 miles or so for my readiness codes to reset and I'll try it again.

Rich, you'll be proud of me. I got rid of the marker lights and installed turn signals. With BIG honking bulbs, so they're bright. No mistaking them now. Also I drove it 130 miles and went back to the place that gave me the reject for codes not appearing and they hooked up the OBDII and it all passed. Woo hoo I'm inspected!

I was told the same thing about my license plate light...no cover...

HOWEVER, mine are little LED's, so there's no need for a cover...

didn't really matter...since they passed it without the lights on it at all...I happened to run into him the next week and showed him my new LED's, and that's when he said they technically weren't legal, either...

but, I figure having the light would at least stop the cops from pulling me over...

Greg

You should have gotten a 95.5 Tacoma John, has OBD II but they don't have to plug it in, plus inspections are only $9.30 or whatever :)

Last time I got mine inspected, the guy told me that since I did not have FACTORY front turn signals, in the factory front bumper, that he could not pass it. My turn signals are in the corner lights, are bright, and are probably visible... I took it down the street, talked to the old guy at that place for a few minutes and, he 'inspected' the truck and let me put the sticker on because he couldn't get in the truck...

i stopped reading this on like the fifth post when you said you took to Peace street Inspection. I was almost going to make fun of you jokingly and say what did you take it to peace st. Inspection.

Sorry but you are a moron. Why would you take it to a place that all they do is inspections.:confused: If they let something slide and the DMV catches them they go out of business. Go to a small shop that does them on the side.

Duly noted. Really it's the first place that caught my eye and there's never a line. I didn't put much thought into it after looking down seeing that my inspection had expired in November. Plus I didnt' know anything about the place. However I'm legal in all cases now so I should be able to pass anywhere I go in the future.

OK, I don't have my orginal turn signals hooked up, I've got generic ones that I bought from autozone and wired up. I just took my truck to get inspected and they said my front turn signals don't work. Umm yes they do. I seriously think they were looking at my parking lights instead. There's no law against alternative turn signals right?
I don't think so. I just took my Jimmy thru inspection last month, after the regs changed to eliminate older verhicles needing to pass the exhaust emissions.

No problem passing with these:
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v639_Trebissky_House_20and_20Vehicles___Trebissky_A102a.jpg

And they're anything BUT stock.

EDIT: After reading further down, I'd bet the ones you put on instead of the markers are the same as mine. Got 'em at either Autozone or Advanced, don't remember now. But they specifically said Turn/Park on the pack, most others that size just said Clearance or Marker Light.

Back