Turbo trouble?

HAPPY

Mike B.
I have a 2000 F250 with a 7.3. It's got a superchip and 4.5" exhaust.

I pulled with it for the first time since I've had it this weekend.

It pulls real strong, ( 70 mph up Jelico mtn in TN easy )problem is, under a hard pull you can hear the turbo "chirping" like it's trying to dump the boost. It didn't have that steady "sucking" sound like normal when you are just gettin in the throtle hard.

Do I need to modify the waste gate since the chip causes it to build more boost? I believe the turbo and related components are stock.

First diesel I've ever had and don't know much about them. Any help is appreciated!

turbo surge

i believe what you are describing is turbo surge....and by the sounds of it, im guessing it has some sort of cold air intake on it?
from what i have gathered after having the same problem, its not good. your turbine side, and impeller side of the turbo is experiencing an imbalance of pressures. simple answer, it aint good. your truck must be a manual. when mine would do it, i would just downshift, and no more problems. i have since gotten rid of the cold air intake, and gone back to a factory air box, and troubles be gone.
HTH
im no expert, but i did a little bit of researching, and asking when i was having the same problem.

You're right. Manual and K&N cold air intake. I gues I'll be putting the factory box back in.

I'm fairly certain that the difference between the aftermarket and factory airboxes is nothing but sound attenuation.

Ditch that POS K&N filter before you dust the turbo.

Definatly sounds like compressor surge. 99 to 01 powerstrokes had a problem with this and a some people are shearing the intake wheel off of the turbo. the cold air intake could actually be making an imbalance in the turbo so just do an expirament and see if it does it with the stock box. Messing with the wastgate would not be a good move if you are already having trouble. All it takes is one good time of chopping the throttle and goodbye turbo.

I'm fairly certain that the difference between the aftermarket and factory airboxes is nothing but sound attenuation.

you may know more about it than i do, but i would imagine that a cold air intake is going to produce a greater volume of air to the engine than a stock box with stock filter would. if that is the case, the imbalance comes from the intake side of the turbo sucking in more air than the exhuast is pushing out, causing the surge, downshifting raises the rpm range and is able to propel the truck forward, rather than lugging it. this makes sense to me, but like i said, you may know more, i was only telling the OP how mine was doing the same thing, and now its not. not to mention, my boost guage doesnt jump sporatically with the stock box, like it did with the cold air intake, and the surging i was experiencing

:D good luck either way, and did you get that stock box put on there yet?

^ bingo. Drawing in 40 to 50% more air is definatly making a difference on that. Its the turbo design on those motors that cause it, they just didn't get the wheel sizes matched right. I've changed a few of the wheels out for the upgrade and it really helped the problem on them all. I've noticed a few stock ones did it under a hard pull.

I can't remember off the top of my head. I really try not to deal with powerstrokes, personally I hate them with a passion. If it was a cummins I could tell u about anything off the top of my head. if you don't mind spending a little money to fix the problem I believe the upgrade was called a wicked wheel or something like that and I believe it wasn't but $150 or so but the pia of getting to it.

^ bingo. Drawing in 40 to 50% more air is definatly making a difference on that. Its the turbo design on those motors that cause it, they just didn't get the wheel sizes matched right. I've changed a few of the wheels out for the upgrade and it really helped the problem on them all. I've noticed a few stock ones did it under a hard pull.

What are you talking about when you say "wheel"?

I would like to get a little more power with out spending too much money.

For now, I'm just goong to put my factory box back on. It has a drop in K&N. I remember having the same trouble wit it also, just not as bad.

He's referring to a different spec compressor wheel for the turbo.

what's the boost gauge doing when this phenomena is occuring?

I can't remember off the top of my head. I really try not to deal with powerstrokes, personally I hate them with a passion. If it was a cummins I could tell u about anything off the top of my head. if you don't mind spending a little money to fix the problem I believe the upgrade was called a wicked wheel or something like that and I believe it wasn't but $150 or so but the pia of getting to it.

wicked wheel is correct, just google it and read to your hearts content. not that i have done one, but from what i remember, any turbo work that needs to be done, step one was to "remove cab from frame" !!

i sure it has been done without removing the cab, but have fun and good luck with it.

going back to the boost guage, do you have one installed?

No, don't have a boost gage. I bought the truck and it had the superchip, K&N drop in and 4" exhaust. I put on the cold air and X'd the muffler for a straight pipe.

Before I do any more I was planning on a bost and exhaust temp gage. Just haven't yet.

I was mistaken the wheel is only around $75. Now it won't add much if any power but it should stop the surging. You usually only have to pull the cab on the 6.0l and 6.4l. It would make getting the turbo off easier but its a much longer process than just pulling the turbo out. You also should buy the o ring for the turbo pedistal since you have it off. Definatly get some guages and add in a tranny temp if its an auto. I just put a billet tranny in mine cause I ran without a guage and trust me that $4000 hurt.

thanks toyota, and ford. i wasnt sure if it was the 7.3 you had to pull the cab on or not.....but good info to know either way, thanks for correcting me!

No problem man always glad to help. I also was mistaken on the year models that have the surging problem. Its from 94 to 03. I thought it was only the new body style. I have to throw it in there, just swap in a cummins and you will fix the problem lol

Also forgot to explain that the "wicked wheel" is just a replacement wheel for the "compressor" or intake side of the turbo. I don't know what the size difference is but the wheel design is different. ATS also makes a compressor housing that will flow better so it could add some performance and when used with the wheel is supposed completely stop the surging problem. But I'm not sure the price on the housing.

Also forgot to explain that the "wicked wheel" is just a replacement wheel for the "compressor" or intake side of the turbo. I don't know what the size difference is but the wheel design is different. ATS also makes a compressor housing that will flow better so it could add some performance and when used with the wheel is supposed completely stop the surging problem. But I'm not sure the price on the housing.

I have the wicked wheel & the ats 1.0 housing with MBRP4" exhaust on my 7.3 also a after market waste gate actuator. No surging. Before when it was surging I was told it was the stock waste gate actuator can't hold boost pressure well, can't tell you what it was opening up at cause I have no boost gauge.

Back