True Trac or Lockrite

NCbigdog

True Trac or Lockrite in D30

I have been wanting to a put Lockrite or True Trac in the front of my TJ but i don't know witch one to go with. My jeep is a DD so i don't want it to be hard to drive every day. Can anyone tell me the good an bad of both so i can pick witch one to go with .

LOCKRITE

I have no experience with the True Trac or Lockright, however I did have front and rear Detroit EZ Lockers (Detroit's lunchbox locker) in my CJ-7. They were in the stock D30 and the M20 with one piece axles with a Chevy 350 and 35's. Never had a problem with the lockers. Finally exploded the D30 and went to front and rear D44's with Detroits. The only reason I went with full Detroits is because I had to regear them anyway.

True Tracs do OK with 31-35 tires but some power braking is required if a tire comes off the ground. I have the D30 lockrite and it locks up in 4WD making turning harder but not impossible. Better upgrade your steering to be safe.

NCbigdog said:
I have been wanting to a put Lockrite or True Trac in the front of my TJ but i don't know witch one to go with. My jeep is a DD so i don't want it to be hard to drive every day. Can anyone tell me the good an bad of both so i can pick witch one to go with .

TJ front axle is ALWAYS engaged, I.E. the axles and drive shaft are always spinning when vehicle is in motion.

Locking the front axle would be pretty uncomfortable with out a method to unlock for daily driven use.

Lockright would ratchet in turns and be very hard on the axles and joints in daily driven use.

TrueTrac, while being a "limited slip" would be more forgiving on the axles and drivetrain would still impart some driving snesations you may not like while driving on the street, while still not being a "TRUE" locker off road where you want it.

The best options would be a lock out hub conversion or an ARB or Electric locker for the front. something that can be turned on and off as needed, being noneffective when off.

Unfortunatly, none of the above options are "cheap" compared to the the first 2 you had in mind.

Hope this helps
Kevin

even though the tj's front 30 is always turning (driveshaft spinning) due to the unibearings there is no torque going to it.

the torque to the axle causes the locker to lock up, but without power going to the front in 2hi, there wouldn't really be any adverse effects to running a locker in the front (no power = no torque = no lockup)

ideally you would get locking hubs, warn's kit or whatever. for a cheap locker i don't think it would be too bad though

I forgot to mention I have the lockrite in a YJ with the split pass side axle so it will ratchet more in a TJ. Blkvoodoo is correct about the ratcheting which can be annoying in a DD.

I just put a LockRite in my front D30 in my 98 TJ. In 2WD you really don't know it's there. You get a slight clicking sound in tight radius turns. I can't even hear it unless the radio is down and windows are open. It probably would be better to have locking hubs... I don't yet.... If you don't have locking hubs ( according the the LockRite manual and others on this forum ) you will wear out the pinion seal faster. How much faster I dunno. But the seal is only about $5 and isn't too bad to change. The LockRite is only Locked when torque is applied to it. (4WD) Super traction........... I expirienced no drivelive vibration. I am curious about how this thing will wear out. With all of the racheting the teeth while being used as a DD I don't know how this will effect their wear. I've never heard of one wearing out though.. I would NEVER put this in the rear axle if it was a DD.

The True Trac would work in a similar manner. Only would work in 4WD. Would be more difficult to install... Probably more expensive. Shouldn't have the pinion seal issue. Won't quite give you the traction of the LockRite, but a LS is better that an open. I would recommend this for the Rear axle.

rbo1577186 said:
I am curious about how this thing will wear out. With all of the racheting the teeth while being used as a DD I don't know how this will effect their wear. I've never heard of one wearing out though.. I would NEVER put this in the rear axle if it was a DD.

As for wearing of the teeth, yes , a little

I have had Lock Rights in the rear of both my Runners, 6 years on the 85, 5 on the chunk in the '90, Both have served or do serve as DD, no issues to date. front tire wear is accellerated a bit due to "locker push" while turning under power, but other than that, no ill affects.

The wife even drives 'em and has no issues with either relating to the lockers.

Though, I do get told about once a month by a concerned citezin that I have a CV axle going bad or " Your truck is making a terrible racket!" when I turn into a parking space. The look on thier face when I tell them " It is supposed to do that " is usually pretty comical, especially the guy who is "a pretty good mechanic".

in any case, keep the tires matched on which ever axle, and the air pressures the same as well, or it'll be dancing all over the place when the locker "pops" to correct for the diameter variance.

Kevin

This mayhelp you decide, but the Trutrac will require the gears to be re-setup, while the lock-right won't.. ;)

I put a Lockrite in the front (D30) of my 2000 TJ. I love it. It is quiet on the road and works great on the trail.

Back