True Cost to set up a 8.8 for a TJ

The only difficcult part I had with my 8.8 install the E-brake pads I had to replace them and the only way to do it was to pull the axles. This brings me to fact that you need to plan on $60-$70 for gear oil if you have the limited slip Dif.
not true, athough it is a PITA to do it with the axles in there.

How much lift do you have - I thought the original driveshaft might end up being too long.
I'm in the process of planning an 8.8 swap in my 97 TJ 4.0 Automatic.
Thanks,

I have 4" of lift I also have fully adjustable 4 links so binding is not an issue with mine I was able to adjust my pinion angle and move my axle back if needed.

where's the best place to find a ZJ driveshaft? and shortened?
Any advise on the SYE, I've seen many, many brands..
Thanks,

Try calling some salvage yards, Ask for a ZJ Front Drive Shaft.

A ZJ driveshaft will be way too long in a TJ.

It will be way long, You will have to have it shorten and balanced at drive line shop.

I used

CCC Truck Parts / Joint & Clutch Service
1112 1ST Avenue S W
Hickory, NC 28602
(828) 328-5705

I had them Rebuild, Shorten, and Balance it, I just didn't trust the junk yard u joints. It was like $180 with all new u joints and new CV joint.

I got my SYE from Here, I got the house brand, It seemed to be a nice kit.

Thanks for the answers...so...it doesn't seem that the ZJ driveshaft saves much money...$180 plus the cost of the core from a junkyard..or..I guess i need to shop around for a local driveshaft repair shop (I'm in North Charlotte/Huntersville area)

I'm thinking I might try the fully adjustable arms to limp it along before a SYE purchase....could I get away with just upper rears?

sidenote - it's gonna be 3" of susp lift for my TJ

I can get a new driveshaft made for @180.
When I posted about the ZJ shaft it is because I installed a 8.8 under my ZJ to replace the Dana 35 that had the left axle tube cracked out of the housing. I still have the stock driveshaft under my ZJ.
My ZJ with a 8.8 no lift(for now) and stock rear driveshaft
n1408891098_269841_2018747.jpg

I can get a new driveshaft made for @180.
[/IMG]

Now that's a good price.

Nice Jeep - decisions...decisions...shrinking wallet.....heheh

After weighing the axle options for my ZJ that I bought with a cracked Dana 35, I have @160-200 into my 8.8 swap and that includes buying the 8.8, which has 4.10 gears and a LSD. For the record I'm still useing the stock ZJ driveshaft with a flange to mate the original shaft to the 8.8.

What about the brackets and getting them welded on and the factory locker and carrier are a joke. Also he doesn't have a zj shaft LOL.

Back