truck shaking at 55mph, and maybe bent wheels?

fireturk41

hey yall, i fixed my fuel issue and noticed at 55mph with only your foot on the accelerator the whole truckshakes violently, if you take your foot off the gas, it stops, and it only does this when you are light are moderate on the throttle, not when you punch it.

i got 2 new front tires today and the tech said all 6 of my wheels are bent, i dont understand how i could have bent them, i haven't hit anything hard and i dont offraod this truck (2wd) i havent shock loaded it or anything either, and note these are tractor trailer wheels too!

i dont think even if the wheels were bent that it would shake the truck only at close to 55 with the foot on the gas.

also all u-joints and carrier bearing on d shafte checked out fine, as did the diff. however the tailshaft had a little bit of excess play, but a local shop said it wasnt enough to cause noticeable issues

it was doing it before i got the new tires on, i have to go to the deisel shop tomorrow anyways, i had to re-torque the lugnuts cause the dumbass only torqued them to 90ft lb and although i specified 90lbs of air in the front and 95 rear he said for safety he took out 20 lbs from the rear and only only filled the fronts to 60....guess where im not going back!

it was doing it before i got the new tires on, i have to go to the deisel shop tomorrow anyways, i had to re-torque the lugnuts cause the dumbass only torqued them to 90ft lb and although i specified 90lbs of air in the front and 95 rear he said for safety he took out 20 lbs from the rear and only only filled the fronts to 60....guess where im not going back!

why so much air that may be part of your :poop: ride

because its what the tire calls for and at 60 it makes the sides roll over.

its not the crapy ride im worried about, its a truck not a caddilac

im worried about the sudden and violent shaking of the truck at around 55 mph, only with my foot on the gas during light to medium accel.

i dont know if it is a steering part because of the only feeling it when its under acceleration, also because it doesnt move the steering wheel, just shake the truck

Sounds like it's gotta be something with your u-joints on the rear half of the driveshaft.. or bearings in the pinion?

because its what the tire calls for and at 60 it makes the sides roll over.
its not the crapy ride im worried about, its a truck not a caddilac
im worried about the sudden and violent shaking of the truck at around 55 mph, only with my foot on the gas during light to medium accel.
i dont know if it is a steering part because of the only feeling it when its under acceleration, also because it doesnt move the steering wheel, just shake the truck
Unless you are hauling at the MAX capacity at the PSI the tire is rated for, you do not need to run them nearly that high. Your ride, wet, and dry weather traction will suffer at that pressure. That number is only on the tire to give you an idea of what pressure to run at max capacity, if you are not using it to that capacity drop it down. Many times you can call the tire manufacturer and tell them the weight of your truck and they will let you know what pressure you need to be running.

I assume you have this mounted on a dually. Are your wheels and adaptors hub centric? Are they correctly centered? I had a very similar problem when I tried to run Dodge wheels on my GM dually, that was when I learned the difference between lug and hub centric.:shaking: The Dodge wheel hub opening was about 1/8" larger diameter than the GM hubs, and that was enough to cause very violent shaking at certain speeds. The wheel should be a very close slip fit with only a couple thousandths difference. I swapped those out for some GM 16" inner steel wheels with the correct hub opening, and a set of aftermarket aluminum wheels that were lug centric with conical lug seats, and my vibration problems are GONE.

On the air pressure in your tires I think you will like the ride better with it a little lower. I have 22.5s on my truck. When I got them they had 90 psi in each tire and didnt ride that good, liked to wander. I dropped them to 60psi front and 50 psi rear and it rides 10 times better. These tires are made for much larger trucks, not a 1 ton truck. Just something to think about.

I had a truck come in once that had a vibration like what you are describing and it ended up being 2 injectors screwing up. Don't know if you have a diesel or not. Have also had a torque converter make a part throttle vibration before.

Back