Tranny woes

upnover

Grumpy, decrepit Old Man
OK I bought a 86 aerostar van for $100. Changes fluids, put tires on it.
Runs, drives fine. only one issue.
It has an auto OD tranny, I think the A4LD.And a 3.0 engine. You can count the shifts from a dead start, 1st, 2nd, Drive, and the OD. When at 70mph, it seems to be running to fast as in rpm's between 3000 and 3200. but, it never slips, always good pedal.
The biggest problem is that if you are cruising along at 70 mpg and let completely off the pedal the rpm's fall down to idle( around 600 rpm's)
When you get back into it, it's like you are in neutral. it won't re-engage until your speed falls down and it seems like it "catches up, engages, and then does fine.
Thanks in advance

Hey Chip, out of boredom, I did some googleing on this. Seems the only issues that consistently came up on that Tranny were either low fluid levels, or there is (or should be on that model) a Vacuum diaphram on the case somewhere that is known to bust and cause fluid to get past it.... which I would guess to lead to low fluid levels.

Where that diaphram is and if it's you issue... don't know, just thought I'd let you know what I found in some searching. hope you figure it out. 3200 does sound high, and the reengaging isssue would be VERY ANNOYING! good luck

I think that if the diaphragm was leaking thru a vacuum, then I would have exhaust smoke. But I have checked the fluid several times, it isn't low. But, thanks a bunch for trying

If lock out convertor, there should be a wireing pplug to it on the tranny, un plug it and see how it runs then. not thebest idea for long highway trips, but around town it won't matter.

mbalbritton said:
If lock out convertor, there should be a wireing pplug to it on the tranny,

It is electronic controlled and is a lockup, I would guess unplugging the EEC probably wont do anything at this point as I will bet the clutch is smoked.

Back