tralier question

1stgenxxx

I have been asking around but people tell me different things. It's my understanding that a class C license is good for a total weight of no more than 26,000lbs. My truck is tagged for 15K but someone told me that if the trailer is weighted for over 10K then I will have to have a class A license. The trailer I'm buying is a 29' 5th wheel that used to be a camper. It's still titled as a camper. Would there be an exception to the rule since I would be pulling a "camper"?

Jeff here is the new law.
(3) Class C. – A Class C license authorizes the holder to drive any of the following:

a. A Class C motor vehicle that is not a commercial motor vehicle.

b. When operated by a volunteer member of a fire department, a rescue squad, or an emergency medical service (EMS) in the performance of duty, a Class A or Class B fire‑fighting, rescue, or EMS motor vehicle or a combination of these vehicles.

c. A combination of noncommercial motor vehicles that have a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds but less than 26,001 pounds. This sub‑subdivision does not apply to a Class C license holder less than 18 years of age.

Read section C. As long as the GVWR of your truck and trailer together is not over 26k you are legal with a regular license. That hasnt always been the case, but it has changed in the last 6 months.

I have a question about this subject too. I have a class b license for the fire dept. When towing a trailer do I fall under the class c regs in regards towing a trailer, or am I still limited to a 10000 or less trailer?

Duane

Back