Trailer winch question

Shawn do you happen to have a diagram showing how to do that? I've only had to use the winch a few times so I just borrowed the battery from my CJ

The negative terminal should be attached to the trailer frame. Negative terminal from the pigtail attaches there, too. +12v terminal from the pigtail goes directly to the positive battery terminal on the trailer.

Keep in mind that if you draw the battery down, it likely won't get much of a charge from the truck. It's not a lot of amps, there's likely some voltage drop, and the truck might not be running all that long. But it's better than nothing, especially for a break-away battery.

I set up my winch and battery setup on my trailer a couple months ago...

I had a brand new 12V lawnmower battery laying around collecting dust. I mounted it in my tool box and wired it up to my Superwinch 9500 like normal. But, I also wired it to the center pin (power) on my trailer plug as it was empty. Now, the battery stays charged while I have the trailer hooked up. while the battery is small, its plenty for the 1 or 2 pulls it would see when I need it. I've used it several times and have been really happy with the setup.

If you have the trailer battery hooked up to the truck through one of these wires in the 7 pin connector what happens if your truck battery dies and you try to start it? Is there a diode in the line or will it try to use the trailer battery to start? If there is a fuse for that circuit it would blow, but if not that 12 gauge wire would melt... Could always put a 20 amp fuse inline just to be safe...

Dave

The center pin in the connector isn't 12 ga but more like a 4 or maybe even larger; well, at least it is on my truck.

I never really thought about the trailer battery trying to charge a dead truck battery but since that is already the "power" connector pin in the trailer setup from the factory, I assume this has been taken into account from engineering from the manufacturer.

The pin at the 1:00 position, (Looking at the truck socket) is the charging circuit and it S/B switched. A battery anywhere in the 12v circuit will charge as long as the voltage in the circuit is higher than the battery. Pretty sure that wire is switched and fused.

The center pin is for auxiliary power. And any circuit that is direct to the battery will act like a jumper cable without a diode

So, running the trailer battery off of the center pin is ok? Any issues other than it acting like a jumper cable? I've used mine multiple times and it has worked good so far without issues (yet)

The center pin is for the backup lamps on all of our vehicles.

Adding a trickle charge feed to my winch battery has been on my todo list for awhile, and I want to verify the 1 o'clock pin is fused and or has a diode in it before I hook it up to the battery. If its hooked up to the tiny trailer brake battery that's probably a 9 amp hour battery at best I don't think it would require much protection other than the fuse in the fuse block to protect the circuit, but if I hook my 1000 cca battery to this wire and the batterys in the truck are weaker than the trailer battery it could potentially see some huge amperage and hopefully blow said fuse, but if it isn't fused or has a diode its going to melt stuff.

Also I don't want the trailer battery to be weaker than the two truck batteries (that are wired parallel) and inherently cause the alternator to overcharge the two batteries in the truck if the weak trailer battery is "faking" low battery voltage. I think all the correct logic is designed into the 1 o'clock pin but I'm not one to take this forgranted and melt something. Considering the amperage on the small trailer brake batteries may be below the threshold of the wire amperage and consequently the designed in "logic" may be to just run a large enough wire to handle the small battery amperage and not put any other protective logic into the circuitry, which would be the cheaper or more profitable solution if you where a automotive engineer trying to squeeze every cent out of the product. Then when someone puts a high amperage battery on the tail end of the truck without a diode that small LONG wire won't be able to handle the amperage.

I would assume the center pin doesn't have any logic to it at all, but will carry more amperage as its a larger wire than the 1 o'clock pin. So you could wire in a voltage regulator and diode for the ultimate solution, which is sort of my plan, but I might get lazy and just throw a diode in the 1 o'clock pin and hook it up...

Dave

So, running the trailer battery off of the center pin is ok? Any issues other than it acting like a jumper cable? I've used mine multiple times and it has worked good so far without issues (yet)

Nothing I have has a live center pin! So I cant say!:confused:

If it has been working, I guess so!

I have a pair of big 6V deep cycles in the camper that are connected to the +12V in the trailer connector. The house batteries can be basically dead, and they won't receive enough current back through the harness to charge them significantly. I used to unplug the truck from the camper when the camper was on shore power or running the generator, but I don't worry about it anymore.

There's a 40A fuse on that circuit in my Dodge, factory.

hmmm...

My battery is a small lawn mower battery and I've used it quite a bit. Plugged it up and it was charged when I got home. I haven't had any issues, yet. Maybe I'll check into it a little more.

It may charge better just because it's smaller.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Chevy/tech/Prodigy/images/7-way.jpg

Nobody messes with the 4-pin harness, but it seems like no 2 people wire a 7-pin the same! I borrowed a neighbor's 16' trailer once. He told me "I had it wired right! That center pin is the ground!" Of course, he didn't tell me what the rest of them were, so when I hooked up and had no lights or brakes from my standard-wired socket, we had a problem. After a couple hours of futzing with my truck wiring, I said "screw it. I'm just pulling a few Beetles!" No brakes, no lights, and no time to fix it.

7-way.jpg

Back