Trailer Inspection

Yay!Gurrr

Better Faster Stronger
Get ready its coming :)

Was talking to Kraftsman this morning about their stuff and when tags/titles/fees came up he mentioned that they passed something a while ago about requiring trailer inspections. He said they only have started enforcing that with in the last year. This was based on them selling trailers and ppl getting stopped and not aware of the law etc..

This isn't anything really odd as back in NY it was required the same as a car. They checked the lights, general road worthiness, brakes (if required) etc... and slapped a sticker on the tongue...

Just thought it was interesting...

Maybe somone has more official information???

My bumper pull trailer that was bought in 2001 has an inspection sticker on it, and my dad had it inspected one or two times, but never did after that.

He had it inspected at the place he bought it (Tesh & Sons in near Lexington).

I'd be interested to know where this can be done, and and how much it costs.

I don't think the gooseneck I bought from Kraftsman last year has an inspection sticker on it, but I'll check.

Sorry forgot to add this, but going by what he said any place that can do a motorcycle safety inspection will have the correct stickers. Those stick on the outside vs inside like a car... I assume it would be the normal $9.50 safety inspection cost..

well that stinks one more item to have to pay for.. I just put permit tags on the trailer so that way I never have to worry about it again.. I guess I can not win

You know what's next, right? Personal property tax on a trailer... UGH! fawkin taxes.

I didn't *think* I did, but I get so many of those fawkin tax things, I don't remember.

You know what's next, right? Personal property tax on a trailer... UGH! fawkin taxes.
Yep you pay tax on trailers, But something new for you to think about if you use a perm tag like a lot of us are using you need to add it to the PP tax like a boat every year before Jan 31 and after that they hit you with 10% and more tax.
I have two trailers and only one was listed on the tax bill this time so I called and ask about it, only yearly tages are billed the perm need to be listed each year.
Second was on the trailer inspection, talked to DMV last year about tags and other stuff and talked about inspection on trailers, He said it Only needed to be done if over 10k and or used for hire. ( That was last year maybe it changed) I was trying to put weight charge on trailer because it would be cheeper then adding weight to tags on truck, but now they are not letting you do it.....
Don't forget to list you trailers with Perm tags before Jan 31....The first year you get the tag, sometimes they will list it all you need to do is sign date mark some boxes that you still have it and then send it in..
Jon

well that stinks one more item to have to pay for.. I just put permit tags on the trailer so that way I never have to worry about it again.. I guess I can not win

I remember this being discussed before...something like $80?

did you just do it at renewal time? and I assume it involves a trip to the DMV, or can you do it online?

Thanks.
Greg

well that would be cool if the inspection it only for 10k+ trailers..

The trailer place guy may have been implied that and i misunderstood him.

OK after a lot of time on the phone and checking things this is what I have found...
Fed has a inspection on trailers along with other stuff IF the trailer is 10,001 GTWR and up.

State has a law on the books that require inspection on trailers IF 4,000 GTWR and up.. Feds Don't know or care about this. BTW its safety like a car or truck what $10-$20.... Per year, I would need to do four of my trailers..

After many calls to HP, NCDOT, DMV, Local PD.
I found that they know something about it but not much, DMV gave me a list of inspection places phone numbers and I called them. They don't know anything about it and cant help, some said they are and were never trained in it so even if it uses the same sticker that they have they can't do it...

My trailer is 9,999 so I'm under the 10,001 so no FED and for the amount of time I have wasted and numbers I have called I think I want to say :fuck-you: :fuck-you: :fuck-you:
And if they want to give me a ticket I will tell them one of two things, Take me to a place that does them and when they can't find one then.. :fuck-you:
Jon

OK after a lot of time on the phone and checking things this is what I have found...
Fed has a inspection on trailers along with other stuff IF the trailer is 10,001 GTWR and up.
State has a law on the books that require inspection on trailers IF 4,000 GTWR and up.. Feds Don't know or care about this. BTW its safety like a car or truck what $10-$20.... Per year, I would need to do four of my trailers..
After many calls to HP, NCDOT, DMV, Local PD.
I found that they know something about it but not much, DMV gave me a list of inspection places phone numbers and I called them. They don't know anything about it and cant help, some said they are and were never trained in it so even if it uses the same sticker that they have they can't do it...
My trailer is 9,999 so I'm under the 10,001 so no FED and for the amount of time I have wasted and numbers I have called I think I want to say :fuck-you: :fuck-you: :fuck-you:
And if they want to give me a ticket I will tell them one of two things, Take me to a place that does them and when they can't find one then.. :fuck-you:
Jon

Jon,

Tell us how you really feel!

For me, I got perm tags, paid my freight and never looked back. I have to go back and reread the posts, but it sounded like I have to pay each year.:lol:

I think if a cop saw a trailer that did not have lights or is falling apart, they could ticket. I suppose a mandatory inspection would cure that though.

For me, I got perm tags, paid my freight and never looked back.
You still need to pay property tax on trailers each year....
It is just that with perm tags you need to sign it up and list it for tax but yearly tags they list it when you renew the tags each year. The tax you paid when you got the trailer was a road use tax/sales tax.... Nothing to do with the Personal Property Tax...
This has nothing to do with inspection and the fee for that...each year...
Also when its time for new tires on the trailer don't forget the scrap tire tax and the tire road use tax also the sales tax on them to....
Time to tell the tax man to :fuck-you: if you know what I mean...:shaking:
Jon

if you use a perm tag like a lot of us are using you need to add it to the PP tax like a boat every year before Jan 31 and after that they hit you with 10% and more tax.
... only yearly tages are billed the perm need to be listed each year.
...Don't forget to list you trailers with Perm tags before Jan 31....The first year you get the tag, sometimes they will list it all you need to do is sign date mark some boxes that you still have it and then send it in..
Jon

Jon, can you explain what this means? List it where or with who? I have never "listed" anything for property tax, just waited to get a bill, so I don't know anything about it. But I now have 2 trailers with permanent tags, so I guess I need to find out...

I suddenly love SC...

Not only no vehicle inspection.
No trailer inspection.
No trailer tag.
And a trailer is a "recreational non liveable vehicle" like an ATV, so no property tax.

Yay SC....

Wait you say my $725 yearly property tax (with high mileage deduction) on an 01 Yukon is high...Darn

OH NO WE SUK AGAIN....

Jon, can you explain what this means? List it where or with who? I have never "listed" anything for property tax, just waited to get a bill, so I don't know anything about it. But I now have 2 trailers with permanent tags, so I guess I need to find out...
Ok I had a page typed in and the board went down and got lost so here is the info on the web and if you need anything else give me a call
JOn
This is wake county but you sould be fine with google your county.

http://www.wakegov.com/tax/personalproperty/default.htm
http://www.wakegov.com/NR/rdonlyres/FB9FC5C1-F3B5-4D2A-96E3-B42DC83155B1/0/IndivListForm2006.pdf

Ok I guess I need to read up on that.

Momma got a new dishwasher today. I bought it this morning and installed it before work. I had to pay a $3 landfill / disposal charge even though I did not turn in the old one or dispose of it. I told the guy to take it off my bill but he said he could not. Can you say rip off.

It's actually a disposal fee to get rid of the one you just bought later. Same with tires, buy a set of tires, keep your old ones, they still charge you that fee, not for you old tires, but the new ones. They get you coming and going.

Just peachy. Well I printed the form to list my trailer, but how in heck do you comply with an inspection requirement if no inspection place knows its supposed to be inspected. :confused: For my 14k trailer, I guess its one more thing to worry about. At least I got the right license.

Ok here is the deal with the Feds. Unless you are using the 10,001+ trailer for commercial purposes and is used for interstate commerce, you don't have to have an inspection.

"§390.5 Definitions.
Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle—
(1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or..."

"§396.17 Periodic inspection.
(a) Every commercial motor vehicle shall be inspected as required by this section. The inspection shall include, at a minimum, the parts and accessories set forth in Appendix G of this subchapter..."

Ok here is the deal with the Feds. Unless you are using the 10,001+ trailer for commercial purposes and is used for interstate commerce, you don't have to have an inspection.
"§390.5 Definitions.
Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle—
(1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or..."
"§396.17 Periodic inspection.
(a) Every commercial motor vehicle shall be inspected as required by this section. The inspection shall include, at a minimum, the parts and accessories set forth in Appendix G of this subchapter..."

When I talked to the fed guy He said all over 10k need inspec. and we talked about my case and if mine was say 12k and not 10k I would need it...
Think it has to do with the tags on the truck remember when you got weighted tags a few years back? Said commercial on the tag... Mine did... When you went over the standard weight it put you into a comm tag.... Now it is "weighted" tag
There may be a law somewhere that talks about tags, weight, DL type, or something else that puts you in the commercial listing. He said it was good I stayed under 10k, Why I don't know, but I was told in the past from tenn state trooper that if it crosses state lines and over 10K you fall under fed regs if the trailer is not listed as a camper.

Jon

Update on the trailer inspection......
There is a fed and a state inspection.
If you have the fed for trailers over 10k then you don't need a state.
If your trailer is over 4k but under 10 k you need the state inspection.
If you are under 4k then you dont need any inspection.
The state inspection is a safety check, it is just like the other safety checks, lights, tires, brakes (required for over 4000 lbs), and other stuff. The cost it $9 and change think he said $9.25. It is the same sticker as the cycle and anyone that does motorcycle can do them.
Now the rest of the story.....
Its and old law that dates back before trailers needed tags or anything. For the most part no one is getting it done. It took talking to a lot of people to find anything on it and a guy at a cycle shop telling them he had someone with a trailer and wanted a inspection... After some amount of time they just let him know what to do... He was told from the inspector that "If he wants an inspection done do it charge for it and send him on his way"
What he took from that is they don't care.... He told me not to waste the time to do it.
BTW it is like taking you 60's whatever in to get an inspection, some will tell you you need it and others tell you not....
So yes we need it on trailers, its the law, but no one does it and they don't care.
I'm not going to do anything.
Hope this helps..
Jon

Typical beauracy.:shaking: If I get a ticket for it than I will worry about it. :confused: My lights and brakes work fine. My trailer is built to handle what I haul on it. I pull a trailer that is a lot safer trailer than I see a lot of illegal immigrants pulling on I-40. :shaking: I am already OVERtaxed. :mad:

Back