Trailer improvements

I'm late to the game but figured I'd chime in.
I've hauled cars, trucks and Jeeps for years. I also handle all of our company's truck fleet stuff and load/secure trucks all day.
I'd add a rubrail on each side. You never know when you'll also haul items that need to be secured perpendicular to the frame rails (lumber, rolls of whatever, etc). I'd also add some weld on HD d-rings in the corners for times when you need to secure in such a manner (cars, trucks, SXS, etc). You'll never wish you had fewer tie down options.
Don't overlook adding a strap winch or two on the sides (like flatbed trucks use). You can use them for a multitude of items.
Make sure that spare tire isn't resting on the frame rail of the trailer. Mine did on my trailer and now has 2 deep witness marks on the inside sidewall. Throw a tire cover on the spare. Being in direct sunlight will damage it over time.
I'd add some sort of bar up front so you can better secure things against the "headboard" and keep them from sliding.
On my own trailer I have stake pockets and d rings. My straps are made with a chain and hook on the lever end and a snap hook on the strap end. That way I can run the chain through the stake pocket OR through the d ring w/o damaging it. I use axle straps on the vehicle end. I can haul pretty much anything and be able to secure items across the deck, "X" them or front to back.

When you are burning all that steel in make sure you have a fire extinguisher nearby. Just thinking about all that ATF on the wood.:kaioken: would hate to see a new trailer go up in flames.
That was my first thought. Looks great, but id have waited to soak the trailer in flammable liquid until I was done making sparks.
No worries at all. I've burnt enough car fluids on you name it. Now brake fluid is a bigger problem. The reason it burns so well in a vehicle is the heat already in it from a hot trans. You'd have to get the wood absolutely rolling to sustain a good fire. I have however ignited a few deck boards over the years. Little bit of water or a handful of dirt was needed to calm them down before real visible damage occurred. A few of those the owner would have been better to let me burn the whole unit down.

HOT TRANNIES ARE THE DEVILS WORK......"including the Bangkok type" Heated trans fluid has a much lower flashpoint and we want discuss the other type on here! LOL.

I took precautions, but pressed on today with grinding and welding…. I scorched some wood, but nothing catastrophic.

Full day burning steel. Used my new plasma - like a hot knife through butter! Love it!

Added the roll stop to the front of the trailer deck
Centered the front,middle stake pockets up front (actually cut off the old and replaced with a new one)
Added a 2nd stake pocket to each side behind wheels
Added chain guides to both sides 2x front and 1x rear
Added 1/4” rub rails front and read to both sides
Added 8 d-rings (2 front, 2 side in front of wheels, 2 behind rear wheels, 2 at rear corner)

She’s ready to haul anything. I may go get 6yds mulch Monday just because I can. I’ll load the #2 bronco after mulch to get it out of the yard.

B7625726-B93E-4B1F-807D-20FF6B1409D3.jpeg
285B1BBB-86D4-4607-ABA3-A44674D746F7.jpeg
C475B8AE-4025-4F5B-9638-F736D2AF1F08.jpeg
9316BC15-D3F1-43A0-83C1-5B27528C61CC.jpeg
822002A6-E171-4A98-81F6-8163F651D457.jpeg

Adding - thank you to all for advice, funny banter and general good natured fun.
We ain't good for much, but that's the NC4X4 specialty :laughing:

Back