Trailer deck screws

I used these on my small trailer this summer, replaced the deck on it (about 16 years old).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3NJYNW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Used something exactly like this, got them from a local semi trailer repair place. Predrilled using a 17/64 drill bit and never broke or stripped a single screw. We did break about 15 drill bits though. They would cut threw but snap when they went through and caught on the bottom of an old screw. If I do another one I'll make sure someone doesn't grind the heads of the old screws off smooth and instead they get knocked through with a chisel. Here is the best pic I have on my phone of the completed trailer deck.
0825201354_HDR.jpg

You predrilled the holes, I assume?

Yes, they are self-threading, not self-drilling. Fortunately I only needed to clean out the holes for some of the old screws, many of them just sunk right back in where the old ones came out. What I did was lay all the decking, slide under the trailer and send the drill bit up through the original holes in the frame so they would line up from above.

Yes, they are self-threading, not self-drilling. Fortunately I only needed to clean out the holes for some of the old screws, many of them just sunk right back in where the old ones came out. What I did was lay all the decking, slide under the trailer and send the drill bit up through the original holes in the frame so they would line up from above.
Hudson crossmembers are 3inch channel (many of them butted up to another other to make a box) if they had been angle I would have went this route.

This is probably the same screw I used. Took the advice of a you tuber, that said these Would self tap. That is what the drill style ends are for, & the "wings", are suppose to break off the drill end, once it goes through. RIGHT! They Might self tap sheet metal, but Not Steel. Yes, I had to predrill the holes.

U-Turn 1/4-20 x 2-3/4 Flat Head Reamer with Wings, WAR Coated (100 Pack)

$25.76

I used similar (see above), and had different results. The ones I used self-drilled through the 3/16 angle cross-members in my trailer. I was using an impact driver, if that makes a difference.

Back