traction bar

Why did you put the bend in the bar? Trying to clear something?

The axle end being nearer the center is what would have "helped" (but I'm not hurt by my wrap bar, which is offset) - I don't think you helped yourself at all, except making that tubing weaker (because of the bends, but at least they're bent in a different plane).. I bet bending that thick-wall tubing was fuuuun.

What "hurts your flex" about a wrap bar like this is that it doesn't allow the front part of the leaf to twist into funky shapes and arch like it wants to. Other than that, it outta work ~90% as much as it did before.

Oh well, it's made now...just wheel it.

orange150 said:
is there any traction bar design that does allow 100% use of the springs?
Prolly using heims on the upper mount but I think it will still restrict to a certian extent.

orange150 said:
is there any traction bar design that does allow 100% use of the springs?

4-link. :D

Not really... leafs change their length and shape as they work... a bar cannot do this and prevent the leafs from allowing undesired pinion movement... I still get great flex with leafs, don't blame the traction bar. Flex is overrated. :flipoff2:

I still have to remove the extra leafs I put in to control wrap before the bar. My design was based on theory not experience but I like it and every bit helps. Using heims would make the setup too rigid and hurt flex. The bushings absorb some shock too.

I have poly bushings on all corners of my traction bar, however, I keep my flex by using a heim at the other end of the shackle. Allows it to twist. Took it to the top of the ramp at the fun caravan. And yes, I know( As JB reminded me there) I have never seen a ramp in the woods either, but, been on some rocks that were much worse.

what about building one like this. Use that basic design to fab up something of your own creation, put the mounts on the axle inline like those except use some hiems or johnny joints, and then just attach the other end to a cross member towards the front.

I think the rear link ends are too close, putting extra force on the bars. But I like how they shot for the center of the axle mounting. Figure out a way to seperate the rear bar mounts some.

I don't have room under my EB for all the bracketry. It just doesn't look like it would keep the pinion from rising. Kind of like Duff's Classic Bars. They still use the front half of the leaf to for a sort of 4 link. I've heard some say they work and others not. I believe it has a lot to do with tire size and HP.

Wild Horses also sells a bar similar to that design for an EB called the Wrap Trap, but don't know anyone who runs one of them.

Attachments

• Duffclassicbars.jpg
    Duffclassicbars.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 298
  • 1190-wrap-trap.jpg
    1190-wrap-trap.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 356
I can tell you with absolute certainty that the Duff bar will not work. BDTD. The red one is hard to see, but if it's just one bar above the axle, it won't work.

Jdubb..no need to obsess about the wrap bar being dead center on the axle. really.

Rich said:
I can tell you with absolute certainty that the Duff bar will not work. BDTD. The red one is hard to see, but if it's just one bar above the axle, it won't work.

Jdubb..no need to obsess about the wrap bar being dead center on the axle. really.

The red one is just one bar. But I have an inboard shock mount that is above the axle that takes up all that room. Duff does have a new long travel ladder bar with a shackle. This is the design I modeled my bar after.

Attachments

• Dufflongtravel.jpg
    Dufflongtravel.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 371
I left the RE superflex joint loose in the cage and flexed up the rear axle on each side. I could still move the ball in the joint around by hand a little. I am satisfied the traction bar is not interfering with the flex at all. Thanks for all the input. I know the offset front pivot helps but maybe not as much as some guys consider it being "worth the trouble." But is fabbing stuff up for your rig really ever trouble?

jdubb said:
I know the offset front pivot helps but

If you're referring to putting the front of the bar in the middle, it doesn't.. Not bagging on you, but more to help with future searches... (Yes people, the search works here too! :D )

Rich said:
If you're referring to putting the front of the bar in the middle, it doesn't.. Not bagging on you, but more to help with future searches... (Yes people, the search works here too! :D )
Everyone's entitled to their opinion but I'm just saying I'm glad I went through the "trouble" to make it that way. I tell what I'll do for fun. I just finished a friend's YJ with the EXACT spring setup as mine. When I do his traction bar in the next couple of weeks I'll do the straight bar like everybody has. Then we'll disconnect the front shackle and ramp them on wheel ramps and I'll post the pictures to see how far the end moves on each design. It should be interesting.

Rich said:

I saw first hand today how little the Duff's over the spring bars work. A friend was on the Kodak Rock when he wheel hopped a couple of time and Bang the rear drive line broke. Not only did the U-joint brake but take a look at what it did to the perches.

Attachments

• Brokeshaft.JPG
    Brokeshaft.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 346
  • Perchdamage2.JPG
    Perchdamage2.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 376
upnover said:
I have poly bushings on all corners of my traction bar, however, I keep my flex by using a heim at the other end of the shackle. Allows it to twist. Took it to the top of the ramp at the fun caravan. And yes, I know( As JB reminded me there) I have never seen a ramp in the woods either, but, been on some rocks that were much worse.

Can ya show us a picture of the shackle end...in other words how you are mounting the heim on that end....

Thx for the help here folks, blew out the caps once again this weekend at kodak, I am NOT gonna wheel again until I have a traction bar....

Sam

SHINTON said:
Can ya show us a picture of the shackle end...in other words how you are mounting the heim on that end....

front.jpg

Here's a look at my version. I still need to shoot some paint on it and clean up a little. The bar is 1.25 dia .250 wall dom with 3/8 plate for the bracket and 5/16 for the shackle.

Attachments

• Tractionbarlq.jpg
    Tractionbarlq.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 322
  • Tractionbarbracketlq.jpg
    Tractionbarbracketlq.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 343
  • Tractionbarshacklelq.jpg
    Tractionbarshacklelq.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 288
Back