Traction Bar Shackle Needed?

Jones4WD

I am getting very bad spring wrap on my 96 jimmy, so I have decided to install traction bars. I bought a set of ladder bars with the weld on axle brackets. The bars have heims on each end but I am not sure about how to mount the fron end of the bars. I saw in an old post where several members had built a crossmember and attached the bars to shackles that were attached to the crossmember. What is the purpose of the shackles? I mean why not just attached the bars to the crossmember with a small tab. Also wouldn't the shackle allow the bars to move forward during acceleration. This is just my DD so extreme flex isn't needed. I do tow with it though, so will the bars affect that?

YEs, you need a shackle in the front. If you look at the spring where the axle is attached, and then look at the spring where it is mounted to the frame. The area between the two points is why you need a shackle. When it compresses up, it will lengthen. When it drops down, it will shorten. the tractionbar needs to be on the bottom of the shackle. it will go back and forth, but when torque is applied the pinion wanting to wrap will pull against the shackle and keep it in line.

OTOH, for a DD, many of the high HP desel guys are running solidly mounted ladder bars like you described (just a heim up front, no shackle).. it's not like the suspension cycles all that much.

I couldn't tell a difference in the ride. YMMV.

Well if I do the shackle I will need some short pieces of tube and a couple bushings. Does anyone have some left over from a build? Where can I get the bushings?

Back