Towing with XJ

a_kelley

mechanical fixer
I understand the Cherokee is classed as a SWT/SUV, therefore does not need weighted tags. My question is, does the rated tow capacity affect how much one can legally tow with it? (If I remember correctly: 500/5000 without weight distributing hitch, 750/7500 with weight distributing hitch) I have ocassionally hauled a car with my XJ (without trailer brakes.. i love leaving room and driving slow but there are idiots on the road..) I imagine that insurance companies would have a issue with a 2000# trailer and 3500# car covering in case of a mishap (FWIW Liberty Mutual said my policy covers towing.. didnt ask about weight), but would say a trooper have an issue with it? (I'm adding trailer brakes/controller on it in the near future, but I haul maybe twice a year)

I dunno reinforce the unibofy , I know it'll tow it , I've towed some dumb shit with my Comanche and I can say you definitely want trailer brakes.

my cherokee has towed its share of hay and 3500# cars... without trailer brakes so I know its got torque to do it but stopping is key.

Back