Towing dunce, need wiring help with vehicle

drkelly

Dipstick who put two vehicles on jack stands
I just bought a trailer yesterday. It is a Kaufman wired with a 7 way RV plug. I've been looking for a Dodge CTD, but can't find what I want, so I am going to tow with my 98 Tahoe until I find one. I looked under the back of my Tahoe, and found some wires bundled up on the driver side that might be what I need. Perhaps I just need to buy the vehicle end of the 7 way plug. I also looked under the dash, and found one black plug with a few wires or so running to it. I am not sure if this is what I need to wire the controller to. I bought a Tekonsha Voyager model brake controller from a RV store near my work. On their website, they list wiring harnesses for GM products, but only 1999 and newer.

Thanks,
DK

Stop by your local auto parts. Most will have some sort of plug and play version of the wiring. Pick the trailer plug you need (7 pin) and then the vehicle it's going on...You might have to order it, but I've seen them for just about every vehicle out there. That harness will plug inbetween a set of plugs at the back of the truck and run to the 7 way. You may need to run a specific wire from the controller to the plug for the brakes. Some vehicles have a harness already set up to accept the controller...IE: on my CTD when I ordered my Prodigy they asked me the aplication and sent along a pigtail that went from the controller plug to a waiting plug under the dash on the truck. You may have this on the Yota.

The wiring for the brake control is already in the truck

under the brake booster wrapped up are a a pair of 10 gauge wires wrapped up one is terminated (red and blue wires) you will find the other end wrapped up at the rear of the truck on the drivers frame rail. follow the wiring info for your brake controller to hook that up properly, at the tail, there is also a a trailering pigtail that may be already in use, uses standard color coding for hook up. ( if not already used it'll be wrapped up with the controler wires at the tail of the vehicle)

The trailer wiring is already hooked up to the factory harness, only the brake controller wiring needs to be connected.

On the under hood fuse block you will find 2 studs that are not used, they are fused 30amp, tap your power feed and brake controller feed there(metric studs, use the correct nuts) use a 20amp CIRCUT BREAKER from the stud to the brake controller, this will reset itself and will at least offer SOME braking if there is an issue.

http://www.championtrailers.com/brkart.html#electricbrakecontroller

you also might do what I did on one...

buy the 4-pin adapter off the shelf...very easy to install...

then buy the mount that takes a 4-pin input, and gives you a 4-pin and a 7-pin output...Northern Tool is where I picked up mine...then you just have to run the blue wire up to the cab, either to the brake wire, or using a pigtail as mentioned....

Greg

Thanks for the tip BlkVoodoo. I found the two wires under the brake booster and the other ends of them at the rear. They didn't have a rear plug for my vehicle at Northern, so I ended up buying one for a 99 and up pickup or something. The rear plug is done. I have to connect one of the wires from the controller to the cold wire on the brake pedal switch. Everything is so packed under the dash it is difficult to see anything and I definitely can't get to the pedal switch to remove the plug. I've never worked on a vehicle this bad under the dash. It appears that there are eight wires coming off the pedal switch though. I've never seen anything but the typical two wires so that ended up being my stopping point Sunday evening.

Thanks,
Danny

drkelly said:
I just bought a trailer yesterday. It is a Kaufman wired with a 7 way RV plug. I've been looking for a Dodge CTD, but can't find what I want, so I am going to tow with my 98 Tahoe until I find one. I looked under the back of my Tahoe, and found some wires bundled up on the driver side that might be what I need. Perhaps I just need to buy the vehicle end of the 7 way plug. I also looked under the dash, and found one black plug with a few wires or so running to it. I am not sure if this is what I need to wire the controller to. I bought a Tekonsha Voyager model brake controller from a RV store near my work. On their website, they list wiring harnesses for GM products, but only 1999 and newer.
Thanks,
DK

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if you found the Dodge CTD you were looking for. I have been trying to figure out what mine is worth and may sell it.

You've got pretty low miles, especially on the engine.. if it's in good shape, you might bring in about 10..

drkelly said:
I have to connect one of the wires from the controller to the cold wire on the brake pedal switch. Everything is so packed under the dash it is difficult to see anything and I definitely can't get to the pedal switch to remove the plug. I've never worked on a vehicle this bad under the dash. It appears that there are eight wires coming off the pedal switch though. I've never seen anything but the typical two wires so that ended up being my stopping point Sunday evening.
Thanks,
Danny

You can see the wiring at the plug, there with be an orange and a white wire, use a test light (12v bulb) and pierce the insulation on both, you want the one that illuminates the light when you step on the pedal. start with the orange first as I beleive that is the brake hot. use a T-tap on the wire where you pierced thru, and you have no worrys

I gotta stress, USE CIRCUT BREAKERS for the power feed to the controler, 20 amp max, they are cheap insurance. when I was wiring all this stuff up as an installer, I'd dasiy chain the hot to 2 breakers then feed the battery hot off of one and the brake controller off the other. using the 30amp fused stud as source power

Back