Tow Tool

Good work on tow rig. Any thoughts of puttin a fifth wheel on it?

Good work on tow rig. Any thoughts of puttin a fifth wheel on it?

Maybe a goose. But it would be way down the road. I don't see the need and the extra weight required.

I have too many other things I want to do to it first.

Gears
rebuild tranny
cam, timing chain, carb and intake
interior

I ordered 3.73's. They'll be here next week and the tranny rebuild kit. I also got this box of shiny stuff. I like shiny stuff.

ai85.photobucket.com_albums_k51_hadfield4wd_Tow_20rigs_shinythings.jpg

That oughta' help it out! FWIW....If you dont drive it much, you will learn to hate that Holley. They gum up really quick. Keep seafoam or stabil poured in the tank when it sits for more than a week and run it often as possible. Truck looks good, I like the bed.

X2 on the holley. They're good carbs but they are just like women when it comes to attention and maintaince.

Not worried about the holley. It's a tinkerers carb. And I'm a tinkerer. I've been putting holley's on stuff since the mid 80's I'm very comfortable with them.

Cam break-in:
pre oil the motor with a drill
Pour crane break in lube
prime the carb by filling in the primary fuel bowl
when it starts up run it between 2000 and 3000 rpm's. never keeping it steady

Cams are splash lubed so this will ensure it is lubed.

Try to make sure the timing it set from the get go.

This is done to minimize the cranking. You want it to fire as quick as possible.

Not worried about the holley. It's a tinkerers carb. And I'm a tinkerer. I've been putting holley's on stuff since the mid 80's I'm very comfortable with them.

Cam break-in:
pre oil the motor with a drill
Pour crane break in lube
prime the carb by filling in the primary fuel bowl
when it starts up run it between 2000 and 3000 rpm's. never keeping it steady

Cams are splash lubed so this will ensure it is lubed.

Try to make sure the timing it set from the get go.

This is done to minimize the cranking. You want it to fire as quick as possible.
Yup that break in lube is crucial. I started using it plus diesel oil to get the phosphates and zinc. Sounds like you got it going on!

Yup that break in lube is crucial. I started using it plus diesel oil to get the phosphates and zinc. Sounds like you got it going on!

Not my first rodeo.:D

Pretty happy with the results. Still have some carb tuning to do, but it goes to the guy I have doing my gears and rebuilding my tranny this week. Pulls strong up to 4k. I didn't want to go much higher at this point.

So I've done some research. Here is a formula to figure out what speedo gear you need.
(correct speed/indicated speed)current speedo teeth = needed speedo teeth.
I used this calculator to determine indicatied speed and actual speed. I basically did a before and after one on each side of the sheet.
Gear Ratio Calculator
Using 2500 rpms as a baseline I figured out indicated speed and actual. I also removed and counted the teeth on my speedo gear. (20T)
(65mph/55mph) x 20 = 23.6
So I'll round up to 24 as I will only go bigger on tire size not smaller.
Anybody know where I can get the gear?

You'll be fine with a 24 tooth, how much bigger of a tire are you going with?

Edit: sorry I completly mis read your question. I found this place that has gears. Click Here Looks like they only have a 23 and 25 though.

You'll be fine with a 24 tooth, how much bigger of a tire are you going with?

Edit: sorry I completly mis read your question. I found this place that has gears. Click Here Looks like they only have a 23 and 25 though.

Well apparently the 23 tooth gears are not known for their longevity. I clicked that link. That guy was really helpful thanks. I will be needing a new drive gear as well. I may not go bigger at all. But if I change size it will be gigger. That is what I was saying. Not really looking to change at this point.

Back