Tow rig tires?

Flex5

I need new tires on my 2500 4x4 Dodge. Does anyone have a tire that is working well for them and if so what kind of mileage are you getting out of them? I would like to run an all terrain or mud/snow tire. I am currently running 285/75/16 BF Goodrich All Terrain T/As I have a set of factory 17" wheels off of an 03 Dodge that im planning on using.

I run Bridgestone Dueler ATs on my F250. Size 185x75r16 load range D. They have enough grip to keep me moving in the fields, but are NOT an offroad tire. They ride real well on the highway loaded or unloaded. They do not wear very well though (about 45k). Have had 3 sets of them if it means anything

The factory tires are made of softer rubber, just a FYI...I know alot folks are unhappy with the amount of miles they get off of them. My uncle says the letters, codes, etc are the same but they are built to wear out in 25kish...

That being said, the BFG A/T is a great tire, I have them in load rating E and LOVE them. I have put maybe 10,000 miles on em and they look new. I expect to get 50k+ with them

Sam

tires

I have not found that to be true. I have normally gotten 45/50000 miles on new truck tires.

Thanks for the input. I just wasnt wanting to spend $600 plus and end up with junk for tires. I have heard bad things about the Pro Comp AT and they are high.

My dads truck came with Firestone Steeltex and he got 82,000 miles out of them. They are decent, but a bit lacking for an all terrain. He had the truck for 11 years 140,000 miles and only bought one set of tires.

tires

I will have to look, think they were Goodyears. I have the same tire in a 17" on the 03.

hmmm...could be a Toyota thing? He was talking specifically about the BFG series for 'yota, Long Trail maybe?

I'm at 41k on my stock Michelin E range tires and could probably get about 10k more out of em. But they aren't the best on snowy or wet roads.

At the very lest a D range tire is needed. Its hard to get any mileage out of tires on a 2500 cause they weigh so much. Not to mention the added weight of whatever youre hauling or towing.

Found a set of Kumho Venture ATs 285/70/17 LR D for $135 a tire. Thats about the best Ive been able to do in a D or E range tire.

When I posted my original post, I never thought about my work truck. It wears a set of Michelin LTX mud/snow. 285x75 load range E. GREAT tires. had them on another work truck and got over 80K. They grip very well on pavement and on dirt/grass. Used them in snow and on ice and the siping real helps. Pretty pricey though.

Second on the Mich. LTX. I've had mine for about 35k now and very happy. This is on 99 F250SD 4x4. Much better than G/Y's I used to run, both in handling and wear. Well worth the money (mine almost 900 installed for 4).

Found a set of Kumho Venture ATs 285/70/17 LR D for $135 a tire. Thats about the best Ive been able to do in a D or E range tire.

My '01 Ram 2500 had Kumho Venture ATs 285/75/16 LR D when I bought it 2 yrs ago. PO installed them, but they were pretty new when I got it, maybe 5-10kmiles wear. I've put 16kmiles on, they're about 1/2 tread now. I guess they could pass 40k...hard to say not knowing when the PO bought 'em.

Have you had them (the Kumho's) in the mud and or snow and how have they performed? I wish I could afford the Mich. LTX that is an excellent tire and is exactly what I would run if I could afford $900 right now. The other side of this is that it is not my daily driver and even if I only get 40k miles out of the tires they will last me a couple years at least.

Have you had them (the Kumho's) in the mud and or snow and how have they performed? I wish I could afford the Mich. LTX that is an excellent tire and is exactly what I would run if I could afford $900 right now. The other side of this is that it is not my daily driver and even if I only get 40k miles out of the tires they will last me a couple years at least.

I havent really had to drive much in mud or snow with the Ram. I needed 4wd in the field at BigDaddy's event where it was a little muddy. I was going nowhere in 2wd (excuse me, 1wd), but walked out in 4wd. I don't remember any problems in the few snows we've had. Once again, I needed 4wd to get out of my driveway during the ice storm last year; rwd wasnt cutting it, no prob in 4wd. Overall, I got no complaints, but I'm not asking for much.

I've towed with BFG AT on my 2500. Been happy with it loaded and unloaded. In the winter, the AT is awesome. BTW its a 315/70R-17 on H2 rims. The max trailer weight I've pulled is about 11-12k with this setup.

Update. I ended up with a set of Nokian Vitiva 285/70/17s. They are much like the Mich LTX in tread pattern and have alot of siping on them. The 03 wheels worked but the 03 centers were not deep enough to fit over the hub on the rear axle. I use the old centers and they look fine. Also im not sure if the tires i ended up with are wider than my old ones or if the back spacing is different on the wheels. I now have a very slight rub if the wheel is cut all the way.

not to hijack the thread but I didnt want to post an almost identical thread, I am lookin to get a new set of tires for my truck but i need a 35ish sized tire to compensate for my gearing (4.88's)

Couple Tires I'm currently looking at are the Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT in a 35x12.5R15 and the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor also 35x12.5R15 all the 35's i found were C load rating

On tirerack.com the wrangler seemed to have the best reviews, and I've heard bad things about the Dunlops from friends.

Anybody have any opionions on these tires? I'm looking to get the tire that will last the longest. I would Include the BFG A/T but I want something that'll last longer than those and are a little quieter, plus they are pricey.

Thanks

On my second set of LT285/75R16 Load D Dayton Timberline AT on a 96 Dodge HD 2500 so I guess I liked them enough to do it again. I got about 35k on the first set, lots of towing. Work good off pavement in situations where I need 4wd with the trailer. Not too expensive and look good too.

Back