Tow rig questions

poncho-mike

I've got a few questions for you guys that are knowledgeable about tow vehicles. I'm trying to decide if I need to buy a new one, or if what I have is acceptable.

I have a 96 Suburban 2500 w/454 and 4L80E tranny, 4.10 gears and 4x4. My owner's manual states the max tow capacity for the vehicle is 7000 lbs. I have a 8600 GVW series with the 14-bolt FF and all of the heavy duty gear. The hitch setup is rated for 10,000 lbs and I have electric brakes.

But a 96 Chevy 2500 truck with the same drivetrain has a tow capacity of 11,000 lbs. Why does the truck have a 4000 lb higher tow capacity than the Suburban?

Secondly, I'm thinking of buying a 2001 or 2002 2500HD or 3500 Chevy with the Allison tranny and 8.1 engine. I know a diesel would get better mileage, but I doubt this thing will see more than 4 - 5K miles per year. I have seen several of those with 50-60K miles in the $15K range. Has anybody had any experience with the 8.1 Chevies?

Last question: I ran into a 97 Chevy 454 w/a 5-spd manual. I couldn't find a tow capacity for the manual tranny setup in any of the Chevy literature. Is this tranny weaker or stronger than the 4L80E.

My trailer is a triple axle setup with a 9995 GVW. In towing configuration, I'll be towing close to 9000 lbs minimum.

I'd like to hear some thoughts on whether my Suburban would be legal towing 10,000 lbs, whether it's up to the task, and about the vehicle I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Mike

Guessing the differences in advertised tow cap is due to the differences in the vehicles weight... guessing the 'burb probably has a good 1000-1500# + on the truck, which decreased it's "max tow" capacity...

My brother has an '02 2500HD 4x4 w/ Allison & 8.1L... it is without a doubt the mother of all gasser towrigs! He's pulled my junk in a HEAVY double-framed Hydraulic dump (manure) trailer that probably tipped about 9K# and it made absolutely NO difference in fuel mileage! From what I recall over the years, 9mpg is the norm when towing... he can baby it (let off to keep it from dropping out of OD) and get SLIGHTLY better. It held the first mile of Old Fort Mtn. @ 65mph (he forgot the cruise was on) before I slapped him! IMO, it's a beast of a combo... just hurts when it's $100/fill-up!

Back