Tow Rig advice (CTD)

EasySteve

I'm in the market for a diesel DD and the Cummins is what I'm set on. What I'm looking for here is some input on two that I found and if the prices are accurate.

1st: 2001 Dodge Ram 2500, Ext. cab, Cummins 24V diesel, auto, shortbed, lift, new 35in Nittos tires, exhaust, chip, tint, lthr, 4x4, ac, K&N, Xenon bulbs, full pwr, tilt, cc, loaded, 74k mi, $21,900.

2nd:2000 Dodge Ram 2500, Cummings Turbo Diesel, brown, 91K, cold ac, 4x4, ext cab, 5 spd, full pwr, am/fm cass, fully loaded, alloys, $15900.

I have quite a bit of driving time behind the wheel of my dads '02 3500 CTD and his is a 6spd. I am leary of the auto's in these year CTD's.

thanks.steve.

weve got an 00 with the auto at work and its got 130,000 miles on it with no problems. It dosent have any mods though. If hes still got the stock torque converter in the atuo then I would stay away from it. Personally if I had to chose between these two trucks Id go with the 00. The 20,000 extra miles really arnt a big deal considering this thing will last you a good 250,000 miles and its six grand cheaper.
Just my 2 cents worth,
Justin

I'd lean more heavily towards the '00, but only for the price. In the end, I'd go for the one with the better maintenance history.

A torque converter & valve body will do wonders for the auto if you find that truck to be better maintained.

The '01 may still be under the warranty for the injection pump for a little while longer. IP's will be $1300+ when they go.. There's a few ~$500 kits that will help the VP44 live a nice, long, happy life.

Also, a brown truck? BLECH. And if he doesn't know it's a Cummins under the hood, ya gotta wonder how well he took care of it..

Yeah, the brown sounds kinda rough on the eyes. As for the auto, I would not even consider it, simply because it has the power mods. Who knows how hard it's been driven. I would just keep looking around Autotrader and the Iwanna. It took me 8 months of looking to find the one I wanted.

I kinda like the brown personally. Is it the brown with grey bottom or just straight brown? If I could find a brown ctd auto with low miles and no mods Id trade my black one on it in a heart beat.

Its solid brown and I personally like it, I have other vehicles that are odd colors as well, I guess im just a little off but it works for me. ;)

I believe from the advice I have received here and on PBB i am going to check into the brown '00. Thanks guys.

steve

I'd go with the one that is in better condition myself, but I settled for a 03 1500 with a 5.9L gasser but the price was right.

Back