Tow bar question

lawdawg

Hey All,
Bought a tow bar and when I installed it I could not get the recommended 24" min. spread space the directions called for. I was just able to get 20" of spread (on the Jeep bumper). Do you guys think that will be a problem? I am towing a YJ from Greensboro to URE hopefully this Saturday for the "clean-up detail" and meet some NC4X4 people. Any danger by not having the recommended min. spread. :driver:
Thanks
Lawdawg

I never heard of this 24" spread...so I went out and measured my CJ....21" from outside to outside of the bumper mounted brackets. Been back and forth to Tellico and URE from GSO, it can be done.

Can't make a educated guess without seeing, I know that the wider the arms the more of a triangle it makes. Which is stronger the wider it is laid out. I just measured both of my mounts and on my 89 4runner it's 30inches, on my 09 Saturn it's32 inches. Twenty inches does seem a little narrow though. Some Jeeps cannot be flat towed so be careful and do your research. I was told by a Toyota dealer shop that I could flat tow my 4runner with no other changes, they were wronge! I called my transmission guy and he explained it, had to install a driveshaft disconnect. So be careful.

I have to agree that 20" is narrow. I usaully had my mounts just inside the front shackles which would put them at approx. 28". Is there a reason you cannot get them any wider? Mine is a YJ as well.

the D-ring mounts on my aftermarket bumper are right above my shackles...that's what forced my tow bar brackets inboard. I always wanted to make some adapter bushing to use the D-ring tabs for flat towing, just never got around to it.

Thanks to all

Thanks everyone. I have a stinger on the front and the PO welded it to the bumper. I had to work with a limited area so I could drill the 2 holes needed in each mount. If you can see the old mtg. brackets in the picture the new ones had to be mounted above the old mtg, holes due to the fact that the old ones were single hole brackets and the new ones two hole brackets, and a little to center because of the 4" holes in the stinger plate.
http://s713.photobucket.com/albums/ww133/lawdawg_album/?action=view&current=Picture6.jpg

Back