TOTW - Camping Discussions - Storage, Setup and Tear down

Yay!Gurrr

Better Faster Stronger
The other thread is going well and tons of good ideas pouring out.. I sorta feel like we should got this going a few months ago.. (I have to spread out my good ideas :flipoff2: )

Storage - Setup - tear down

Do you have a check list ? Procedure ? Every time different ? Bacon ?

What are some nifty ideas or devices you have found or made to help keep your stuff packed, organized and otherwise ready to go ?

What do you store your cloths in ? Trash Bags? duffel Bag ? (trash bag inside duffel bag ) ?

Do you have camp only items? Camp only cookware ? Utensils ? Standard bag chairs or something else ?

Setup - Pull stuff out as you need it ? Have a general campsite floor plan/layout you gotta have to operate ?

Canopy or tarp setups? Plan ahead or do you wait until it rains ?

Tear down - Wad it all up and go home and take a nap :) Sleep in take your time tearing down ?

What else ??? Add anything along these lines...

------------------
Some of my favorites..
Tote bins - I pack everything in these things, that are water proof, compact when empty, have handles :) I was using bungie cords to hold the lid on (safety measure) while riding open in the back of pickup truck, but recently seen someone just use a loose zip tie through 2 small holes on one side.. (hard to stack empty but cool idea)

Clothes - having been the victim of rain and tent seepage, i also put my cloths in tote bins as it makes a nice mini table inside the tent for my glasses, phone etc.. Recently i have been using a duffel bad lined with a bag that can also be removed as the days go by to store my now filthy and stinky cloths elsewhere :)

I have a new free standing canopy il be using this year, spent way to much time rigging up ropes and tarps in the past..

I also have a 8x10ish outdoor carpet section i've used and it seems to be a nice thing to have on stone/gravel areas..

I have a plastic Tote about the the size of a very large Ice chest that I keep my tent, Stove, pots, pans and lantern etc.... Kind of a grab and go deal. But now with the Camper I am planning to just have it stocked ready to go.

I have found that if I try to pack everthing right befor a trip, I allways forget somthing.

So now All I have to worrie is food and the Rig.

Almost all of my stuff is stored in a rubbermaid box. The only stuff that I keep out is the stove and lantern. These have fuel so the enclosed space is not a good thing. Grab the tote, cooler, stove, and latern and camp. I have designated camp cooking supplies, first aid kits, and toiletries.

As far as setup on site, that is site dependent. If I am on unlevel ground then the tent goes on the trailer. Level ground with a big group the tent goes away from the firepit. Chairs go where ever I am drinking. Stove typically is setup on the trailer or tailgate to keep from bending over to far. Cooler follows me since it has the beer in it. I am hoping to get a quick setup cover this year and build a new truck bed tent so I can just setup in the bed. I slept there at the rock race and it worked really well.

I enjoy camping, but with so much wheeling going on the setup, tear down, and clean up have started eating up to much time so I am trying to reduce the camping supplies while increasing the good food and fun.

Since we do both wheelin' camping (set location with wheelin' excursions each day) and more primitive camping and backpacking, we kind of have a mixed set-up... We finally bought a new tent a little over a year ago, so the new one is lighter and way easier to set up (especially in the dark) but still big enough for both of us and the dog, plus vestibules on each side for stuff or for staying out of the rain. I've used big freezer bags for clothes, since you can not only squish all the air out but also compartmentalize and make it easier to find stuff in a duffel bag... and then reuse them for dirty/damp stuff after...

For 'car' camping, we have two square Coleman sleeping bags, that we zip together, an old Coleman stove for cooking and two Action Packers with all the camping gear... bowls, utensils, camping-only cookware, Dr. Bronner's, etc. The Action Packers do have latches on the handles so you could lock them closed with zip ties or something... we also have one or two Action Packers with tools/fluids and other trail-side repair essentials... so most things are ready to grab and go for a wheelin' trip.

We also now both (Happy early B-day to me) have mummy bags for backpacking or whenever weight or room is an issue... like last September when we flew out to go to the Rubicon with left coast friends... We also have a light-weight camp stove and the option to take a few pieces (bowls, spoons, smallest camp pot) out of the Action Packers and leave the non-essentials.

im starting to get camping supplies now, just got the tent for Christmas.

Boy is rolling that thing up a PAIN. Literally, but Im getting better at it.

I have a regular sleeping bag for whenever, and a tough -0 Military bag for winter stuff.

Im looking into getting a small 1-2 person backpack tent for short stays, possibly an old vietnam pup tent.

Wife decided that a tent is not going to be used after sleeping int he Excursion. One less thing to bring. However I have a rubbermaid tote to keep supplies dry and organized. I have a wood tote/open box for stove and fuel supplies. I cleared one shelf in the garage so all I have to do is pack everything on it and the camping part is all there. The worst part is packing clothes and those usually go in a suit case. I will probably bring a small tent to store stuff in and change a little more easily.

Tents - I've used expensive tents and when it comes to extreme conditions or quality light weight tents you DO get what you pay for. But in the middle ground its wide open. I have a 2 pole square dome tent that was $30 from target, that I love. It sets up fast, after a few practice runs it rolls up fast too. This one folds in 3rds on the bottom Toss the poles down and roll it up around them.. And I can actually put it in the original bag.

My suggestion on that is once you find the optimal folding method, write or draw marks on the bottom of the tent so you can do it the same way again.. Mine has sewn in creases so its easy to remember. But others didn't have that.

I've tried other 5-6 pole tents and its compliecated when your doing it alone or in the dark :(

I also generally bring that tent with me as a spare and in the past have tried to bring an extra sleeping bag. I've been that last minute tag along who's been thankful for others planning and generosity in loaning out stuff, so try to do the same for others.

I forgot the clothes and blankets once. try that with a wife and kids. I also broke on a night run and got a flat on my recovery vehicle, all in the same day. I was thankful it was warm out that I didn't need a blanket. The daughter packed her own sleeping bag and clothes. I still don't hear the end of that mistake from last summer. I was lucky to have a buddy come the following morning and bring my stuff. I now take an extra of everything I can just in case.

As far as the tent side goes... Windrock, SFWDA event in 2005, I setup my tent on the trailer instead of the ground. Kept me from tracking nearly as much crap inside it and used wire ties or something instead of tent stakes, to keep it on the trailer.

my.php

Only picture was pretty good distance away, but it was rainy and muddy there and this kept me mostly dry. Most of the clothes were in the pickup/king cab part..a few under the tonneau cover in the pickup bed.

Adding a second tarp OVER the tent works in high rain situations too, I have seen several "tent houses" on trailers using the stake pockets.

All my gear is in 3 of those rubbermaid bins, one for tent/tarps, one for sleeping bag, third one with the cooking/misc junk. They stack nicely in the garage too.

Totes - *EVERYTHING* (gear, food, clothes) goes in them! We bought several dozen when moving a few years ago and always have 2-3 spares... not including those with more camping time than 1/2 the BSA

Tents - I have 3: A) 1 small bivi *ONLY* good for tight packing in the summer when it's gonna be dry, B) Coleman "3 Man" (6'x6') with full coverage rain fly and "tarp" bottom that extends 6"+ up the sides (Ask JeepGod what it can withstand = URE '02 7" of rain in 3 hours), & C) Coleman "5 Man" (8'x8'x6'tall) exactly like above, only larger... GREAT for fitting in the twin WallyWorld campcots (fawk foam pads & blowups!) , carpet, & tote for "night stand" when my brother joins me. All have massive sections of noseeum for use w/o the rain fly's.
Note: Huge gianormous tents are nice, but don't work well in a lot of places... like URE where outside of group camp, you can't find a spot large/flat/treeless large enough to flop them.

Chairs - Got a comfy one with the footrest... drink holder don't work with Koosie's :rolleyes:

Lights - Headlamps in any flavor are the shat! Hands are then free to setup camp, work on a rig, or grab multiple frosty beverages from the cooler. Wife bought a cheapo battery "camp lantern" that usually hangs inside the tent, suspended on one of those locking "tarp clamps"... great for getting undressed and makes a nice beacon to aim for when staggering "home" across the DR field after a long evening of "mingling". Also have both white gas & propane double mantle Colemans for "area" lighting

Future "Wishes" - folding camp table, solar shower bags, & towrig with topper (packing a soggy tent and hanging it up to dry at home SUCK!)

Two things I can remember from my boy scout days. Coat the bottom of cooking pans with liquid soap. This aids in cleanup. Do not wear a lot of clothes to bed because you will sweat and then your sweat will be absorbed into your clothes and you will get cold.

Chairs - Got a comfy one with the footrest... drink holder don't work with Koosie's :rolleyes:
akoanwood.com_gallery_jeepin_image_595_img_0014_s.JPG

Comfy, huh? Just needs a Shrimp fettuccini alfredo vomit bag...:flipoff2:
As for the camping, I have two tents as well. One freaking huge, nice for civilized areas with the whole famn damily.
One smaller dome tent. Fits a queen sized air mattress, or camp pad if just me.
I pack everything at home in a huge wooden crate, then transfer to totes as needed.
I have a set of cheap pots for camping, with a few utensils.
Tj Maxx is great for picking up nice pots and pans for dirt cheap.

Things have changed a bit over the years, since I went from sleeping in the back of the Jeep truck or tent, to sleeping in the Van.

Totes are the easiest way to store stuff and keep it organized. I use two, one for dry foods, and one for cooking supplies, and other spare stuff.

I like the truck storage boxes best. Hinged lid, doubles as a seat too. The way I am set up, most all the camping stuff stays in the van. Under the bed the 20lb propane bottle, propane Coleman stove, propane bottle tree for running three things at once. Propane lantern in a case, EZ up canopy, Camp chairs( want to replace these with some decent ones, as none of mine are really comfortable, except the one with foot rest, and everyone runs into it.) Also in there is my big tarp that will cover the whole van, and give me about a 18X12 covered area that is awesome when out in the rain. A spare tent in case someone needs it, and it's been used several times!
Inside under the bed in the smaller storage areas the extra sleeping bag, again been borrowed many times, place for cloths, and so on.
I have a wally world fold out table, 5 gallon water jugs, microwave, Buddy heater. Van has lights but I just bought some $1 touch on and off lights that take 4 AA batteries to mount on the side. Also have a florescent camp light that batteries last a long time, and puts off good light too. I also have a Craftsman Florescent light I can plug into the 3000w converter to run outside if needed. For those places without facilities, I have the portapotty in there too. I use 12 volt coolers sometimes, other times I use regular coolers and ice, or a combination of the two. I can plug my van which has two batteries up to my Jeep, which has three batteries, to charge the Van back up with the Jeep.
I also have a propane(imagine that) hot water heater we use sometimes. I hadn't yet, have to learn how to work it better, but you can use it to take a shower too, speaking of which, I have a tent kinda thing that is designed for a portapotty or as a shower. Sure wish I could figure out how to fold it back up!.

With all this, it is usually only about a 20 min job to take down and pack up.

And yes, I do have a list, I have to make sure I don't forget anything. I add to it, and delete stuff each trip. Print it off and check it off as it's paced and so on.

I put the camper topper on my pickup after three trips to Murphy in the rain.
Now I have the inflatable mattress, sheets and pillows.
I keep three rubbermaid camp boxes packed at all times and ready to go. All I have to get from the store is groceries and beer.

Back