Tornado + K&N Air Raid

rbo1577186

I've got a K&N air raid system on my TJ 4.0. A buddy of mine has a chev 350 who runs the K&N Filter and the Tornado fuel saver. Anyone ever had any experience running both of these products in a 4.0?

K&N is a piece of shit. It's fine if you don't mind sucking a bunch of dirt into your motor.

Air filter test

Independant test study done of available filters (stock replacement) for the Duramax.

let the testing be your guide.

Kevin

WOW! I guess if you claim to allow more flow then you just ain't cleaning the air going into an engine!

jrraw23 said:
I mean they are honestly the biggest name in air filters so they have to be doing something right???

:lol:

It's called MARKETING. You probably run a Fram oil filter too, don't you? The commercial on teevee told me they were the best, so it must be true...

jrraw23 said:
Wow, so looking at the charts it seems that AC Delco not only flows waaay better but it also filters waaay better too, why then does K&N have all the good press and people buy the stuff all the time? I mean they are honestly the biggest name in air filters so they have to be doing something right???
Unless I'm reading it wrong I think the AC Delco actually flows worse...

Thanks people, the tornado thing is something that works/doesn't work depending on how you engine already runs. My buddy said he could pull it out and notices the engine is a little more sluggish. He's been into hot rods and drag racing for quite some time I'll take his word. I just wanted to know if anyone had tried this with the 4.0 engine. The test data kicks ass. It I don't know if the marginally better results for the cleaning part of the test really meant much. The best filter and worst filter were only 6% apart. The thing that caught my attention was that how quickly the oil based filters (K&N) clogged up. Makes since though, dust & dirt sticks to oily things. K & N advertised they don't have to be cleaned for 50k.... WTF?? Maybe it was replacement, let me look again...

You should clean it (or replace if necessary) when it is dirty. This may be 50,000 or 5,000 miles.

"I don't have a Fram or a K&N, and oh by the way you can't market alot without the funds to do so, and the funds come from people buying your product. So I guess I would know that since im taking Buisness classes, or wait . . . Thats actually common sense"
you know what else is common sense? not talking out your ass tard. you need to shut up and listen to other people who probably know a lot more than you. im pretty sure shawn is much older and wiser than you and just cause your taking business classes does not mean your the big shit. maybe if you had read up a little you would know that K&N makes a lot of money because they sell you people like you who belive everything they see. and to contribute to this thread, K&N filters rock on race cars and off road vehicles where oil changes are frequent enough that the lower filtration dosent matter and is worth it for the power gains with increased flow. on a street driven truck, they just dont cut it for keeping your motor clean between 4,000 mile oil changes

rbo1577186 said:
I'm sorry I started this crap.

You didn't start anything but an honest question. Others took it to where it didn't need to go.
I myself see no reason for the name calling, profanity, and useless remarks.
A link was given to some good info.

No reason to apologize for anything. I myself learned something in this post

I'm not Aerodynamics Engineer, but the thing I don't get about the Tornado is this. Yes a Vortex does flow air and fluid faster, I'll buy that. Now consider that your air in your intake takes several twists turns and bends to get into your engine, do you think it's stillflowing in a vortex to continue flowing faster? like i said, I'm no Aerodynamics engineer, but I'm gonna go with a big NO.

When you install the Tornado I think it goes in just above the throttle body. So it creates the vortex just before entering the engine. I dunno if it makes a F*&# or not.

rbo1577186 said:
When you install the Tornado I think it goes in just above the throttle body. So it creates the vortex just before entering the engine. I dunno if it makes a F*&# or not.

Right, but mbalbritton's point was that there are several bends, turns and obstructions before the air even hits the intake valve.

Snake oil.. pure and simple.

jrraw - don't take it personally... Shawn is negative in just about every post, to everyone. :flipoff2:

I'd like to apologize to you rbo1577186, I was out of place for taking you thread a direction it shouldn't have gone, and I apologize to everyone else, good luck with the filter issue, and I'll just add this little extra bit of info: I installed a cold air intake and throttle body spacer on my Z71 at the same time and i was able to tell a difference so hopefully the setup your looking to do will respond as well.

Rich said:
Right, but mbalbritton's point was that there are several bends, turns and obstructions before the air even hits the intake valve.
Snake oil.. pure and simple.
jrraw - don't take it personally... He's negative in just about every post, to everyone. :flipoff2:

damn.... I wasn't even trying to be negative.....:flipoff2:

mbalbritton said:
damn.... I wasn't even trying to be negative.....:flipoff2:
No no no.. :confused: I meant Saf-t-scissors.. LOL NOT you..

I have a tacoma 4.0 and i have a k & n cold air intake system on my truck and it works well. i have no problems with it.

I took off my air filter and you would not believe the power I have now!
I also removed that pesky stock fan, they suck up sooo much hp!
While I was at it I paid Cletus to cut out my cats, and then I put the biggest honkenest carb I could find on my little stock 350 an boy howdy, she'll peel the tread off 44s!!!

:beer:

Back