TJ Rubicon coast noise

JedGrant

Hey all, I’m getting some mostly coast noise out of the front D44 on my TJ. I installed a Nitro 5.38 gearset about a year ago and pulled it apart today to diagnose the noise.

Current specs:
Pinion+carrier preload is around 8 in/lb. Range according to Nitro is 6-9 (albeit only for the pinion).
Backlash is slightly high at 14 thou in a range of 6-10.
Wear pattern looks pretty good, coast side might be a little high on the heel but the drive side is in a good spot (photos attached).

Thoughts? I don’t mind pulling the carrier and checking the pinion bearings but I didn’t want to do this needlessly. Is the backlash too far out? Should I go ahead and double check pinion preload alone?

Wheel bearings are less than 2 years old and are tight. Am I missing anything?

Attachments

• ACB06F77-D1A6-4D78-96D1-D3427FE4514E.jpeg
    ACB06F77-D1A6-4D78-96D1-D3427FE4514E.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 988901C2-B407-4222-9C35-377D7ED4F3FE.jpeg
    988901C2-B407-4222-9C35-377D7ED4F3FE.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 97
Hard to see the coast side pattern but from what I can see on the drive side it appears to be shallow. If that's the case then you may need to blow it apart and address the setup. I'm sure @Jody Treadway who is exponentially more knowledgable on this than I am will chime in but if it were mine I'd pull it apart and address the setup. You have any paint so you can run a pattern?

Hard to see the coast side pattern but from what I can see on the drive side it appears to be shallow. If that's the case then you may need to blow it apart and address the setup. I'm sure @Jody Treadway who is exponentially more knowledgable on this than I am will chime in but if it were mine I'd pull it apart and address the setup. You have any paint so you can run a pattern?
I don’t have any paint, but I also need to order a shim kit for this and another project so I’ll pick up some paint when I do. The photos might be a bit deceiving, I think the depth is ok but I can measure that tooth engagement to see what percentage of the face is meshing. Looking it at in person, there’s about 80-85 percent of the flat face in contact (or at least was in contact at some point; paint will tell if it’s still in contact).

Coast or decel noise is due to a shallow contact patch (if it's gear related) or a loose pinion nut and/or worn pinion bearing.
That BL being so far off won't necessarily cause decel noise, but it will cause accelerated gear wear.
That ring gear looks quite worn. I'd suggest a fresh gear and bearings.

Coast or decel noise is due to a shallow contact patch (if it's gear related) or a loose pinion nut and/or worn pinion bearing.
That BL being so far off won't necessarily cause decel noise, but it will cause accelerated gear wear.
That ring gear looks quite worn. I'd suggest a fresh gear and bearings.
I guess it’s the shallow contact patch then because everything else looked ok. I’ll just plan to rebuild the whole diff (sans ring gear bolts) next year since a shim kit is over half the price of a rebuild kit. I don’t drive it a lot so it isn’t hurting me to let it sit for a while. I did change the gear oil to a lighter 75w140 from an 80w90 so we will see what if that makes any difference.

The gears are fairly new, I think the worn look might be a photo issue. In person they don’t look or feel like that photo makes it look like. I’ll compare these photos when I do the new master kit and will make the choice then.

Thanks for your help!

Jed just give the Jeep to me and cut your losses. When you say "coast noise" that is pretty much all the time for a front axle. Can you actually hear the noise go away in drive when you have it the transfer case in 4wd? To me 8 in/lb sounds too light for total pinion + carrier preload. Can you detect any axial play in the pinion?

Also, don't forget about those u-joints in the driveshaft. You can try leaving the shaft out and taking a drive to see if the noise goes away; if the u-joints have never been replaced it might be time to.

Jed just give the Jeep to me and cut your losses. When you say "coast noise" that is pretty much all the time for a front axle. Can you actually hear the noise go away in drive when you have it the transfer case in 4wd? To me 8 in/lb sounds too light for total pinion + carrier preload. Can you detect any axial play in the pinion?

Also, don't forget about those u-joints in the driveshaft. You can try leaving the shaft out and taking a drive to see if the noise goes away; if the u-joints have never been replaced it might be time to.
Hey Chris, sorry for missing this till now. I think the gears are shot but I haven’t been back in to check it. I probably didn’t push the pinion deep enough and that coupled with the backlash has ruined the gears. U-joints are new, and it has been making the noise before and after changing them last year. I’m going to pull it all apart again this spring and take a better look when I have the downtime available.

Back