TJ NV4500 swap, Dana 300 4:1

jeepinmatt

..l.
Project Neverending Project will be getting a little mechanical action over the next few weeks.
Existing drivetrain:
TJ 4.0/4.6, NV3550, Dana 300, 1310 driveshafts, stock wheelbase, D60 Front, D60 Rear

Next stage (to be completed by the end of August):
TJ 4.0/4.6, NV4500HD, Dana 300 4:1, 1350 driveshafts, stock wheelbase, D60 Front, D60 Rear

Future stage (to be completed before Rockwells become the new small):
TJ 4.0/4.6, NV4500HD, Dana 300 4:1, 1350 driveshafts, ~106" wheelbase, D60 Front, D60 Rear

Final stage (to be incompleted):
TJ 4.0/4.6 Turbo or supercharged, NV4500HD, Stak 3spd, Unimog portals

Ive been researching and collecting parts for about a year. It all started when "Pinkston" put his NV4500 up for sale for a good price. Fast forward a few months and I have a rebuild kit for an NV4500 and a shifter tower sitting at my doorstep. Then, I went to The Farm and Uwharrie for the first time with the 38's, and decided my gearing wasn't low enough, so I ordered the 4:1 kit for the Dana 300. The following week I really started figured out what was necessary to adapt the tranny because noone made a kit to put what I had together. I ended up ordering a kit and a few parts, then finding out that the "complete kit" only included the clutch disc, no throwout bearing, pressure plate, or lines. Here's the cost breakdown so far (including shipping and tax):

NV4500- 250
Rebuild kit- 185
Shifter tower- 155
AA 27-003BT AMC I6/NV4500/D300 kit- 801
AA Custom machined input for NV4500HD- 75
AA 716331 Slave cyl- 16
AA 716130TJ Clutch fitting- 30
Line from slave to Master cyl (custom)- 25
Pressure plate (stock TJ, I went with Centerforce II)- 168
N1430 GM throwout bearing- 42
NV4500 service tool kit- 31
TOTAL= $1778

Teraflex Dana 300 4:1 kit- 478
Dana 300 Rebuild kit- 100
Different bearings for HD output- TBD, around $30
TOTAL~$600

When its all said and done, I will have a new clutch, rebuilt NV4500, and new everything in the D300 except the output shafts. I will update this thread with pics and info as I move along.

Currently I have pulled the D300 from the jeep and began installing the 4:1 kit, but got stalled when the HD output bearings were different from those in the rebuild kit (DUH). Got all those pulled last night and will be getting the parts to get that moving again this week.

This weekend I will probably throw everything together in a very cursory manner and make sure it all fits like it should, then begin redesigning the t-case linkage if necessary, and rebuilding the NV4500. If anyone wants to swing by my shop and watch/help/learn/laugh, shoot me a PM and Ill let you know when I plan to be there and how to contact me.

"The new small". I like that. I remember how even around 2000, Dana 44s were all the rage. I'm running a 60/70 combo on 39s and there are guys with rocks and 38s. Just can't do it.

Good luck on getting everything in there.

Update:
D300 is nearly together. All it needs is an input retainer. Its repainted and all purdy. If I ever remember to take the camera w/me, Ill post some pics of the disastrophe.

Up next, NV4500 rebuild with no manual.

Up next, NV4500 rebuild with no manual.

hope your memory serves you well on where all those shims and synchros and what not go, haha...

you gonna have it ready and wheel it at the farm invite or DPG?

It'll be ready when its ready. Im taking my time with all this and doing it right, not rushing anything. Since everything is here, I could probably throw it together in a little over a weekend, but I already have really busy weekends.

Glad to hear that transmission is going to good use. I am curious to see what the 3rd gear syncro looks like.

Ill put up some pics and send ya a PM if its worth noting.

I run a 4.0HO in my jeep with a NV4500 (with the 6.54 crossbreed gear chevy input/short dodge output) coupled to a D300 and 4.88 gears in the diffs. Worked great everywhere. Kinda want to go to 4.0 gears in the case though just been spoiled by the yota crawl box with 5.0 gears thrown in... But anyways you'll love the set up just be willing to add some wheel base for a decent rear dshaft (I'm at 100 inches) and go with 1350 or 1410 joints with the 32 spline outputs if your going to beat on it. Just trust me on that it will save time/headache/money in the long run. I'm debating on going to an auto though, gettin lazy after 10 years with the NV4500.

Yeah, im looking to add 10-12 inches to the wheelbase, and Ill likely upgrade to 1350's (at least in the rear) when I redo the driveshafts. Is a 32spline yoke a standard size regardless of case?

All the 32 spline D300 yokes I've seen came from JB conversions or High angle driveline. I know Jesse told me he can do 1310, 1350, or 1410 or yota large bolt pattern with the 300 32 spline ft/rr conversion. As far as off the shelf I don't think so, I believe they have to machine down the yoke seal area to fit the seal used up front, the rear maybe though, you should call JB conversions and ask. I think they are the only ones doing the 32 spline front output.
Oh yeah, my yj started out as a Rengade edition...

Thanks for the info. Sorry if I hurt your feelings on the YJ Renegade thing, but plastic has its place, and its not on a jeep exterior...

Lookin to get $625 for it. Haven't really advertised it yet. Good condition, shifts smooth, no funny noises.

Thanks for the info. Sorry if I hurt your feelings on the YJ Renegade thing, but plastic has its place, and its not on a jeep exterior...

Nah you didn't hurt my feelings just thought I'd share all good jeeps shed there factory skin at some point to a tree or three or rocks and trees in my case.
Have you decided to how to handle the skid plate problem of the 4500 being so much lower once in place? I notched my factory skidder and added a plate cover welded in.

To whom it may concern, there has been progress on this project. The NV4500 rebuild has been meticulously (translation: Slowly) rebuilt and is back together. The D300 will be together once I find a stiffer detent spring. Then I will throw all my junk together. Its been 10 months. What's 5 more?

A few worthy notes:
1. Having a DD that gets 40mpg makes it hard to work on the Jeep.
2. Getting engaged makes it hard to work on the jeep.
3. Buying land makes it hard to work on the jeep.
4. Puddles of oil in the floor under the jeep make it hard to work on the jeep.
5. Building a place to live makes it hard to work on the jeep.
6. Castrol Syntorq makes diesel seem cheap.
7. Castrol Syntorq makes a smart politician seem readily available.
8. I will never buy anything from Advance Adapters again.
9. JB Conversions makes parts that actually function correctly, unlike Advance Adapters.
10. Ebay is your friend.

Back