tj lift questions

1977chevy

Hey guys. I have a 1999 jeep TJ that is currently running a 3.5 RC lift. Wife is daily driving the jeep now and we need to give it some attention. It has stock control arms on it right now, I was thinking about getting adjustable control arms to put on it. Jeep is pretty sensitive on the road. Should we be looking at a long arm kit? short arm? whole new lift? I've just put new shocks on it. so I really don't need the whole lift. It's got 33x12.50r15's on it right now and I'm thinking of changing to 4.10 gears. We don't wheel the jeep since its the wifes, pavement princess. We "may" at some point do some very light wheeling. I Just want to try and get it in top shape for her. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

What do you mean by "sensitive"?

Sell the 3.5" lift, drop down to a 2" budget boost (spacers), and do a little fender trimming. You should be able to run 33s on a 2" and it will put you control arms and driveline at much better angles and make the handling more stable. If you want more lift, go long arms.

I'd like to keep the stance we have Now. That's why I was wondering about the adjustable arms or a short arm kit. It's my understanding that with this lift, and stock arms my wheelbase was shortened some and I was thinking that may be where our sensitive steering was coming from. If I'm on the wrong trail, please forgive me. I'm not familiar with jeeps

You shouldn't need long arms at 3.5" of life on a street-driven rig. Wheelbase won't affect the steering, either. If anything, I'd guess it could use more caster, which can be dialed in at the lower control arm brackets without changing the lowers. It could also be worn ball joints making the steering feel twitchy.

You don't need adjustable arms unless you want to change the pinion angle in the rear or the caster angle on the front. Do you want to do either?

You don't need adjustable arms unless you want to change the pinion angle in the rear or the caster angle on the front. Do you want to do either?

You can change caster with the cam bolts on the lower link brackets on the front axle.

thanks for all the replies guys. it looks as if the suspension is going to have to wait a while. The jeep has now developed a intermittent no crank/Electrical issue.

Back