tire repair

myself

anyone know of a place in the charlotte area that will repair(or at least attempt) to repair a tire with a sidewall puncture?

last ride i was on i tore up one of my mt/r's... it's still got 50%+ tread left on it and i hate to just trash it. i've been several places to see if they'd repair it but haven't had any luck. there's got to be some out there that repairs sidewalls...

put a tube in it . I've been running a tube in a 38 with a big gash in the side wall for about a year. I glued a patch on the inside so the gash wouldn't cut the tube. I paid $25 for the tube. I worried about it for a while but I've never had any problems with it, actually it acts like a beadlock. run it on the back if you do this.

got4-lo said:
no road hazard?...

nah. these tires were on my rig when i bought it. the rig, that is.

got4-lo said:
stick a bunch of plugs in there and use us a spare....

that's what i was planning on doing if i couldn't find anyone to do look at it... i guess i'll just go that route and be done with it.

madmonk said:
put a tube in it . I've been running a tube in a 38 with a big gash in the side wall for about a year. I glued a patch on the inside so the gash wouldn't cut the tube. I paid $25 for the tube. I worried about it for a while but I've never had any problems with it, actually it acts like a beadlock. run it on the back if you do this.

may try this too... thanks for the suggestion.

I remember my dad telling me stories of "the great depression" Tires were hard to come by and all means were taken to get every mile you could from them. On such a rupture they would take wire, and sew the hole shut. Put what he called a "sock" inside over the repair(a patch) and all tires then had tubes.
Is the rip from bead to tread? or is it kinda go around staying just about the same distance from the bead? the later type of hole can be repaired with better success than the first mentioned. And yes it does work, I did it on a brand new tire back when I was in highschool and it held until there was no more tread. ANd as said before, run it on the rear.

Ditto!

While it took quite a while to repair, I helped "stitch" a 38" SX that was sliced (wet rocks= sharper than Robs head razor!)...

We used SS "safety wire" a flyboy was carrying, but had to drill the holes in the sidewall for the wire to pass thru... slapped a "boot" (guy called it that, but looked like a huge patch) on the inside and finished the trails (Peckerwood, SlickRock, & that nuisance trail #4(?... too many rocks to make time, too boring for anything else?). Last I heard, he drove it like that until bald (trailered rig) and pitched it...

upnover said:
I remember my dad telling me stories of "the great depression" Tires were hard to come by and all means were taken to get every mile you could from them. On such a rupture they would take wire, and sew the hole shut. Put what he called a "sock" inside over the repair(a patch) and all tires then had tubes.
Is the rip from bead to tread? or is it kinda go around staying just about the same distance from the bead? the later type of hole can be repaired with better success than the first mentioned. And yes it does work, I did it on a brand new tire back when I was in highschool and it held until there was no more tread. ANd as said before, run it on the rear.

People still do this a lot with trail-only tires. Sew it up, patch it on the inside, then some use a tube too.

If it's just a puncture, I'd plug it. I've seen a two different street tires last with sidewall plugs...but you're going to have a hard time finding a shop to do it. If it's a tear or gash, go to a semi-truck tire dealership that can vulcanize it...it's not as cheap as a boot or plug, but it's a much stronger and better option. They basically melt new rubber into it and the tire comes out almost good as new...

braxton357 said:
People still do this a lot with trail-only tires. Sew it up, patch it on the inside, then some use a tube too.

If it's just a puncture, I'd plug it. I've seen a two different street tires last with sidewall plugs...but you're going to have a hard time finding a shop to do it. If it's a tear or gash, go to a semi-truck tire dealership that can vulcanize it...it's not as cheap as a boot or plug, but it's a much stronger and better option. They basically melt new rubber into it and the tire comes out almost good as new...

I tried to get that done to a couple of tires here in Morganton and they wouldn't touch them for fear of liability.

braxton357 said:

this is more along the lines of what i was looking to get done... get it stiched back together and vulcanized(that's funny to say :D)... but i can't find anyone to touch it just like upnover said. everyone is worried about liability... not that i can blame them.

i think i'll just try a plug/patch combo and see how that works.

Back