Those that go on the trails without a spare tire....

spraypaintman

What kind of tire repair kits do you have in case of a puncture? Patch kits, plugs, etc......I've been thinking of doing this and getting rid of the tire carrier. What do you guys carry?

:beer:

I need to add more, but I carry a patch & plug kit.

It is possible to damage a tire beyond repair. you could take a inner tube just in case of a bad tear. but all of the tire repair stuf takes some time and if you are blocking the trail it might get on other peoples nerves a bit.

I plan on wheeling more with Chip... I hear he's installed an on-board rubber vulcanizer - he can make custom sized tire patches while "U" wait.. ;)

Sweet I'll just make sure Chip is around then. LOL.

Rich said:
I plan on wheeling more with Chip... I hear he's installed an on-board rubber vulcanizer - he can make custom sized tire patches while "U" wait.. ;)

That was supposed to be a secret!

So where do ya'll get yer oversized patches & tubes?

I got my tubes at Agri Supply. mine was a 34 x 16" rim but it works fine for my 36 x 15"rim.

hell- one of my tubes if for a 20" rim (wasn't paying attention) :flipoff2:

Cool, thanks guys. I like your rig CYJKrawler. I saw some videos of it in uwharrie. :beer:

Tell us more about your axles. Did you make them yourself? 60's chunks and what tubes and outers?

Noah

spraypaintman said:
Tell us more about your axles. Did you make them yourself? 60's chunks and what tubes and outers?
Noah

Well, I'm retired and on a budget, read no money. I don't have to be the biggest dog but like to be able to at least run with them sometimes :) With the 4 cyl motor I really needed LOW gears to make this happen. 60s seemed to be the choice because of the 7.17s but the cost of 60 fronts is outrageous. The rear is a stock offset 60 from a Dodge van, cheap. The front is a F350 rear D61, cheap, I cut the tubes off about 1" from the chunk, flipped it and pressed F250 D44 tubes and outers in to the right length and welded everything up. Not real pretty but seems to work OK so far.

That's pretty cool. Those 60 front's do cost a fortune. I didn't know you could flip the rear 60 for a front axle. Why flip it?

spraypaintman said:
I didn't know you could flip the rear 60 for a front axle. Why flip it?

I guess "flip" was the wrong word. Maybe turned around? Just like you would take the rear axle and put the right rear tire in the left front position. Sorry, wasn't a good choice of words.

Gotcha, what did you do for the axle shafts for the front?

Back