Thinking about buying beadlocks

immi.jfreeman

I am probably going to open a can of worms here but I am thinking about buying beadlocks for my Toyota. I have looked at several brands and several styles of DIYs. Currently I am running a 16" simulated beadlock from Procomp and 39.5" iroks. The the iroks seem to really work best under 10psi which has led me to have to remount at least 1 tire after I get home from the last 2 trips. I have 1 off the rim and 1 flat right now. That is getting old. I wish I had not gone with a 16" wheel when I began this build but I did. 16" anything is hard to find. I am thinking of going to a 17" beadlock and just shedding the iroks and wheels. What brands/styles are good? High maintenance? Worth $2000? Thanks for the insight.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Trail gear and race lines seem to be popular on this forum, the guys on here that use them are top notch offroad gurus and I'm sure since they use them they should hold up to anything you throw at them.

I'd stay away from the DIY kits if you do much highway speed (not to mention, illegal). I had mine professionally welded and they go all wonky above 30 mph. Good thing I trailer mine everywhere.

I'd stay away from the DIY kits if you do much highway speed (not to mention, illegal). I had mine professionally welded and they go all wonky above 30 mph. Good thing I trailer mine everywhere.
That's the kinda info I'm looking for I drive my truck now and then. It's still street legal for now. I am a "professional" welder and I have wondered about how heat effect and balance could affect 30 mph and up driving with DIYs. Thanks.

16" you say? I'd be interested in buying those iroks from you if you do switch tires.
I've had several sets of beadlocks from 15" DIY to Racelines. By the time you buy the ring kit, hardware and spent the time welding them up (or paying someone to) you can dang near buy a decent set of aluminum. What I really liked about my Racelines was the fact that everything fit very precisely and didn't leak a drop of air. Make sure to spend the extra $50 and get the Procomp deep neck lugnuts. A buddy of mine has a set of Trail Gear creeper locks he wheels on very hard. The machine finish on the TG is amazing and they're reasonably priced. Those may very well be my next set.
Oh and the myth that aluminum beadlocks are lighter than steel.... Complete horse crap. They're all heavy.

Forged alum wheels are heavy. Cast wheels are light and they break.

If u like your combo other than burping beads, just add Stauns/IAL to them. If not, go 17s.

Best thing about yota are wheels and tires are plentiful. Keep an eye out in the classifieds and you can find a deal on a used set.

Only thing I'll add is don't get beadlocks with a wide outter ring. No more than what is needed to hold tire and the bolts anything more will get bent and then cause more issues on the road. That's more for diy rings I don't think anyone makes beadlocks with wide rings

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

How do you mean they're illegal?

There are very few DOT approved beadlocks on the market.
So far I have prices from Discount tire for the Raceline Liberator. Waiting on Clemson 4wheel and a Rhino line dealer in Spartanburg. I like to give my money to locals before a big box company. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm also thinking of running a 37" TSL SX or a Maxxis Trep radial.

So far I have prices from Discount tire for the Raceline Liberator. Waiting on Clemson 4wheel and a Rhino line dealer in Spartanburg. I like to give my money to locals before a big box company. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm also thinking of running a 37" TSL SX or a Maxxis Trep radial.

If you'd be willing to drive to Asheville area I got a buddy who is a raceline vendor. Not sure how his prices compare to others though

Not dot approved for road use. Legally you can't alter a dot rim and it still be legal

Ah ok, I was picturing the SWAT team kicking in his door or something.

Ah ok, I was picturing the SWAT team kicking in his door or something.
Na ive been pulled in my Jeep and the cop looked at my wheels and didn't say anything but if you got in a wreck I bet your insurance would try to get out of it for not having dot approved equipment

Not dot approved for road use. Legally you can't alter a dot rim and it still be legal

So what components have to be DOT approved and what don't?

gclid=Cj0KEQjw6-PJBRCO_br1qoOB4LABEiQAEkqcVVuATbBrH3oKiasXHXxxMv49yafcFmSqi83OTmHmn4MaAtHQ8P8HAQ

These guys make a DOT approved beadlock. Cool looking but I'd hate to have to work on it trail side.

@Oliver's is a raceline dealer.

Back