Thinking about buying a tilt trailer?

I watched your video and couldn't stop thinking, why don't you get a roll back ?

This seems like exactly what you need for your application, and it solves exactly what you're complaining about.

The only thing I disagree with is the HF winch and the synth rope. If you ever try a hydraulic winch with a proper cable, you won't go back to a slow electric winch.

I agree with the rest of your comments, especially for your use. Instead of having tie down points with D-Rings, look into chain locking holes. Like a roll back. So much better.

I watched your video and couldn't stop thinking, why don't you get a roll back ?

This seems like exactly what you need for your application, and it solves exactly what you're complaining about.

The only thing I disagree with is the HF winch and the synth rope. If you ever try a hydraulic winch with a proper cable, you won't go back to a slow electric winch.

I agree with the rest of your comments, especially for your use. Instead of having tie down points with D-Rings, look into chain locking holes. Like a roll back. So much better.
I don't want a rollback. If my truck breaks I put another truck in front of the trailer, if the trailer breaks I put another trailer behind the truck. If a rollback breaks you are just screwed.

I don't want a rollback. If my truck breaks I put another truck in front of the trailer, if the trailer breaks I put another trailer behind the truck. If a rollback breaks you are just screwed.
What if your trailer breaks? Then you are screwed there too ;)

If the roll back breaks down, then hook the trailer behind the truck.... If it were me:flipoff2:

I have a rollback and a wrecker and a dually and trailer. My rollback is the work horse in the bunch but they all have their place. I use my trailer mostly when I have long out of town tows. It keep my rollback around for police calls and local tows and my dually rides better and it doesn't kill my back on long trips. The rollback would be better for you on what you do but it cost more to keep it on the road than a pu and trailer. I have been looking around for a tilt trailer but at a deal. You show me a few things about tilt trailer I haven't thought about yet.

Have a rollback, had trailers. Won't go back to a trailer. My uses are a bit different than yours, though.

IMG_20190827_075948.jpg

IMG_20190921_180609.jpg

IMG_20170816_132532914.jpg

Last edited:
Have a rollback, had trailers. Won't go back to a trailer. My uses are a bit different than yours, though.

View attachment 310557

View attachment 310556

View attachment 310558
There is a good use for a roll back, it just isn't for me. After the back surgery and head injury I have had to slow down. Right now a rollback would sit in the yard too many days to pay for itself. A trailer can sit and cost me very little. And I dont have to buy something else to drive when I am not towing.

There is a good use for a roll back, it just isn't for me. After the back surgery and head injury I have had to slow down. Right now a rollback would sit in the yard too many days to pay for itself. A trailer can sit and cost me very little. And I dont have to buy something else to drive when I am not towing.

Right, which is why I showed the pictures of mine. I used to move trucks around on a 20'+5' dove deckover equipment trailer. Let me tell you, pulling a wrecked F550 dump truck up on that trailer with an electric winch SUCKED. And I doubt I could even get my forklift on my old trailer (didn't have the forklift at that time though). I also move some wrecked cars around, and the rollback is better than any trailer at doing that imo. But yeah, they're more expensive to purchase and maintain in most cases. Fwiw, a tilt trailer heavy enough for my uses would be $12k+ new. Add the cost of the diesel 1 ton truck needed to pull it and that's more than I paid for my rollback.

Not trying to argue that a trailer isn't better for your situation, from what I can tell a trailer is a much better fit for you. For most people that just need to move one car around at a time a rollback is unnecessary. Just giving a different perspective.

In your video you say that you pull the trailer almost everyday but you also say in this thread that a rollback would sit in the yard too many days to pay for itself. That doesn't add up. I have an 18ft steel deck tilt trailer myself. There are times it is used once or twice a week and other times it will sit for a month or two. I completely understand not wanting to keep up another running vehicle.

Why not fix the problems with trailer? Weld up the floor seams, move the spare, strengthen the tail piece, and install a double acting cylinder and power unit. My trailer was also a manual tilt when I bought it. I added a battery, hydraulic power unit, and winch among other things to suit me. I have loaded many rolling non-running vehicles in a matter of minutes. Of course, I have had vehicles that required two snatch blocks just get them on the trailer.

A wireless remote for the winch has been very useful especially when loading by myself.

In your video you say that you pull the trailer almost everyday but you also say in this thread that a rollback would sit in the yard too many days to pay for itself. That doesn't add up. I have an 18ft steel deck tilt trailer myself. There are times it is used once or twice a week and other times it will sit for a month or two. I completely understand not wanting to keep up another running vehicle.

Why not fix the problems with trailer? Weld up the floor seams, move the spare, strengthen the tail piece, and install a double acting cylinder and power unit. My trailer was also a manual tilt when I bought it. I added a battery, hydraulic power unit, and winch among other things to suit me. I have loaded many rolling non-running vehicles in a matter of minutes. Of course, I have had vehicles that required two snatch blocks just get them on the trailer.

A wireless remote for the winch has been very useful especially when loading by myself.
Obviously you didn't see the huge differences between the two trailers.

I never said I couldn't fix it. I said these are the problems.

I do have a wireless remote for the winch.

I saw the differences, but I also saw the similarities. Both have stitch welded floors and gravity drop which are an issue for you.

The obvious part of your video and original post is that you have done this line of work for quite awhile and you have a system that works for you. You have had trailer #1 for several years and found some of the issues with it. You did not mention the length of that trailer, but I assume 16 or 18 ft and that the gravity drop was sometimes a problem. Trailer #1 also had the stitch welded floor problem. With all that experience you buy an 18 ft, gravity drop, stitch welded floor tilt trailer when you really wanted a 20 ft, power down, fully welded one. Now you make an almost 15 minute video showing all the problems.

The only question I have is, do you have a picture of the trailer sales lady? She must have been smoking hot.

I saw the differences, but I also saw the similarities. Both have stitch welded floors and gravity drop which are an issue for you.

The obvious part of your video and original post is that you have done this line of work for quite awhile and you have a system that works for you. You have had trailer #1 for several years and found some of the issues with it. You did not mention the length of that trailer, but I assume 16 or 18 ft and that the gravity drop was sometimes a problem. Trailer #1 also had the stitch welded floor problem. With all that experience you buy an 18 ft, gravity drop, stitch welded floor tilt trailer when you really wanted a 20 ft, power down, fully welded one. Now you make an almost 15 minute video showing all the problems.

The only question I have is, do you have a picture of the trailer sales lady? She must have been smoking hot.

I understand that you are allowing your arrogance to shade your intelligence. I also understand that your shit doesn't stink.

The smaller trailer is 14 feet. Since the two trailer are designed differently here was never a problem with it going down even though it was gravity down. It was also too short to put much more than a car on. A friend had a longer flat deck trailer that we used for larger vehicles. It was hit by a texting driver and totaled so I needed something bigger when I bought the new one. When I bought it I thought the 18 foot would be fine.

Nothing was available with a fully welded bed and sometime you just have to take the good with the bad.

And the salesman was a 75 year old man, but that might be your type.

If my arrogance has offended you, I'm sorry (not really). Maybe you should make a 15 minute video about it. Maybe I'll make a video about my lack of stink on the shitter.

You posted your vid listing the problems with your trailer and asked what we thought. Several recommended a rollback, but that is not how you want to do it. I pointed out you could fix many of your issues. Now, we get to the point where I'm an arrogant asshole with a fragrance problem.

If you happen to fix the trailer to your liking or buy a new trailer, please keep the video under 5 minutes.

If my arrogance has offended you, I'm sorry (not really). Maybe you should make a 15 minute video about it. Maybe I'll make a video about my lack of stink on the shitter.

You posted your vid listing the problems with your trailer and asked what we thought. Several recommended a rollback, but that is not how you want to do it. I pointed out you could fix many of your issues. Now, we get to the point where I'm an arrogant asshole with a fragrance problem.

If you happen to fix the trailer to your liking or buy a new trailer, please keep the video under 5 minutes.

Yet no denying a 75 year old man sexually excites you.

:popcorn:

I will repeat for the hearing impaired- "if the trailer breaks I put another trailer behind the truck.":fuck-you:
Thanks, I actually skimmed right over that part. It would be foolish of a man to have 2 tilt trailers.
IMG_20191224_163110.jpg

Back