The SHOP Work day March 25th

upnover

Grumpy, decrepit Old Man
Rock Corps 4X4 will be having a workday on March 25th. This is an open workday, non members are welcomed to join in with us.
Many ask us, how to become a member, well here's your chance to get your foot in the door. We accept new members from the volunteers who come out to work with us. So if you desire to get into our club, this is how! Chainsaws, Manpower, heavy equipment, and Rigs to put tires on the trails are all welcomed.
We use the workdays to work on clearing existing trails, and to cut new trails.
We try and head into the trails to work at 9 am, and usually stop around 5pm.
The SHOP (Sugar Hill Offroad Park) is located at 9689 Montford Cove rd Marion NC

Interested in coming out. Never been to a trail work day, what is usually involved? Clearing trails/building new ones etc? I will be rigless but can bring hand tools and myself(wife might come out too.)

Interested in coming out. Never been to a trail work day, what is usually involved? Clearing trails/building new ones etc? I will be rigless but can bring hand tools and myself(wife might come out too.)

Yes and yes.
Clearing existing trails and creating new ones. All help is appreciated.

There may or may not be some heavy equipment there, but in clearing trails:
existing trails, Lopers, or anything to clear back growth.
There will be chainsaws and operators, so someone to drag and clear what's cut.(bring gloves)
Man(woman) power is key when it comes down to it. Behold, that looks like a fun place to put tires, and a few hours later, there is a trail!

2032R.JPG

I'm one of those guys who'd love to "get my foot in the door". It's not exactly heavy equipment, but I do have a small tractor with loader that I can bring and run. Just let me know. I'll be happy to put in a hard days work.

View attachment 243460
I'm one of those guys who'd love to "get my foot in the door". It's not exactly heavy equipment, but I do have a small tractor with loader that I can bring and run. Just let me know. I'll be happy to put in a hard days work.
That's a nice looking tractor. I bet you with have a good time with that. I'm not a member but I have been there once. If ANYONE drives a tractor up that mountain they are a brave SOB.

View attachment 243460

Bring it on! All help is appreciated! I go through Shelby on my way to the SHOP and you can follow me up if you like.
That tractor would be great for stuff in the lower edge of the park.
And get your "foot" in the door also.
;)
Paul...

Bring it on! All help is appreciated! I go through Shelby on my way to the SHOP and you can follow me up if you like.
That tractor would be great for stuff in the lower edge of the park.
And get your "foot" in the door also.
;)
Paul...

I'm there! Count me in.

Anybody coming thru Charlotte that I can bum a ride with? I'm on the West Side near Mountain Island...I have gas/beer money..

... If ANYONE drives a tractor up that mountain they are a brave SOB.

I wouldnt do it myself. But then, I'm not an experienced operator!

Should have been there the day George cut the main trail above the land slide. It was making me so sick to my stomach to watch him working that 315 up there, I had to go chase cheeseburgers. He is a very capable track hoe operator. And I wasnt there the day Mike Carr cut that straight up trail with his track hoe (its closed now as its just too steep!)

We have been fortunate to have a few talented equipment operators to cut and repair trails up there!

View attachment 243460

What implements do you have for the back of that Deere?

What implements do you have for the back of that Deere?

I can get my hands on a bush hog, box blade, scrape blade, tiller, and a post hole auger. What exactly are you looking for?

I can get my hands on a bush hog, box blade, scrape blade, tiller, and a post hole auger. What exactly are you looking for?
Box scrape is always useful.

Anyone have one of the those big Stihl hedge trimmers?

I'm planning on my chainsaw ready to go with a couple sharpened chains.

Got gloves and a smile? Come out and see what's it's all about!

Last edited:
Might have another guy coming with me as well. Planning on bringing gloves, shovels etc. if they are needed?

So what kind of shrubs are we pruning on Saturday anyway? Meeting someone at the Wallyworld off exit 81 to sell some parts @ 8:30 and should roll in ready to work by 9:00. @frankenyoter are you cooking something thread worthy for lunch Saturday?

Back