The Money Pit- Lockedup5's YJ on Tons-- Updated Phase Two 2016-- 6.0 swap!!!

My d60 front cover had over $250 worth of shipping on it before it was right and the last one I got I had to work on it for twenty minutes to make it work. I was just tired of shipping it back.

Please let us know who made that cover so the rest of us can avoid that vendor.

Next time call barnes 4wd and be done with it!! Semi local and u wouldn't have paid a dime if it was wrong for shipping.

Guys it's not just been the diff covers. It's been alot of things and not just one company but one in particular. Don't know if I will say the names of the companies at this time. Not to say I won't in the future just depending on future orders. Alot of the owners of these companies building 4x4 equipment once may have been great builders and fabricators at some point but when they see dollar signs and get out of the shop into the office they have no clue or care as to what's being turned out. Then some are just young riding on daddy's coat tail/wallet and think the general consumer is just ignorant and will accept anything. I'm sure some will see this post and and want to chime in but I'd rather them not considering this is my build thread. If they'd like they can sure make a thread in general chit chat I'd gladly post up there but I think that is highly unlikely.
Things have been so bad at times with orders I've already almost gave up. I may have to refabricate/redo alot of things coming from these companies but It will be done it will just take longer w/ the companies I'm having to deal with. And yes I've dealt/talked to the owners themselves. One finally said and you would be surprised that they don't deal w/ this certain west coast vendor anymore so I'd just have to talk to them directly. Bull shit.

I will give good credit to:

-ARB USA- They corrected my problem for free that I had. It was a cheap fix but it was something their distributor should have handled in the beginning they said.
They also sent me for free ARB valve caps, nice hat and two parts that retail for almost $100 a piece. They also apoligized for them and their distributor believe it or not.

-Dan Fredrickson at RuffStuff-He truely is a standup guy. He ate most of that shipping on that diff cover due to a slack ass Distributor. He express mailed me a cover overnight that cost him $102 although I didn't really need it that quick. He is a super nice guy and a very interesting individual to talk to. He actually set in his office and talked to me on the phone for almost an hour telling life stories to me knowing he is a busy man. That is customer service.

- I can't forget the guys here on NC that has helped me thus far-Every transaction with individuals from here have been good deals and really nice guys. I can't name them all but they might post their name up if I forget it. I say that all have been good but I've wasted some miles looking at mis represented items a few times.

-Lankford- for the Jeep deal
-Rodcycle- for more things I can name parts and work
-Snappy- for the YJ tube fenders and delivery
-Cardudenc-for making the trip to AL to Blue torch fab and saving me and a couple buddies a ton in shipping
-t-frady- I bought my steering orbital from
-Cant remember name-Did a good trade on 2 sets of waggy springs and a xj set
-Thanks to everyone that has posted in this thread w/ constructive criticisim and advice I listen to all and use some. lol

I just hope I can add more to the good list and not add anymore to the bad list before this is all done.

ok! its been a month. need some updates! since i havent been able to stop by and slow the progress.

If you'd stop by and buy some of these parts off me it would actually speed it up.

I've actually been working on that rental house 10-12 hours a day so after that there has been no energy left over. A few Sundays ago I did get my CJ hood and grill mounted up I just need a little help from someone to help hold the fender tubes in place so I can tack them up. If I can get that done I can dis assemble all the parts that need paint. I also need help to get the engine pulled from my CJ cause I'm going to have to pull it with the skid steer. Hopefully when I get this house done in a couple weeks I can get started back on it.

we need pics or u didnt do it. lol
just txt when u need some help. i need an excuse for a break

well i guess i wouldnt be considered a bud if i dont jump on the wagon too.
the house is done, engine pulled,and i have came by . so no more excuses. lets see some prrrrogress. lol!

He's probably still dealing with ballistic

Nope. It was a NC company I had my trouble with.
What's is your name?... have we met before?... are you building something?... I forget! :confused::lol:

I am going to be a stranger in the crowd by the time this thing is done. Just don't give up on me Don. Some things are getting done a little at a time. I've just not took pictures or updated lately. I did take a 40+ hr. job back in October so that has put an even bigger kink in my time problem.

well i guess i wouldnt be considered a bud if i dont jump on the wagon too.
the house is done, engine pulled,and i have came by . so no more excuses. lets see some prrrrogress. lol!

Come help and it will get done sooner! :flipoff2:

The sun going down at 530 doesn't help the motivation much either. I'll be living back in Morganton again soon, would be glad to help if you get to working on it again.

braxton shouldve stayed quite, theres a couple more projects going on in morgantown, or should i say burke co.

I guess it's about time I update this thread a little. When I named this thread/Jeep "The Money Pit" I was spot on. I've made some major changes to my original ideas on this build since my last update.
I decided instead of buying used tires and wheels I decided to go w/ these:
DSC00765.JPG
DSC00784.JPG

43x14.50x17 TSL/SX's on Raceline Monsters
Thanks to Brandon at Rides. He hooked me up.

I also decided my butt wasn't going to hurt anymore on long rides so I went w/ a set of Corbeau XRS reclining suspension seats from Dave at Oliver's Driveshaft.
I also bought a new set of Corbeau Camlock 5-point harnesses off a guy here on the board. I can't remember his name but he was from Asheville. Also thanks to Mulshajoe for delivering them for me and saving me a trip.
DSC00751.JPG
DSC00753.JPG

I also have a couple other things on order that will hopefully be here soon. I've got orders in at Rides and Oliver's. I just have to wait on the lead time for them. One had a 6 week lead time and the other an 8 week lead time. I ordered them the first of Feb. so I'm over halfway through the wait. I will up date these things as they come in.

Another major change I've made is in the suspension. I decided instead of doing the XJ/Wagoneer leaf spring stretch I figured I might as well go ahead and do it right the first time and go ahead and link it. I went w/ 7/8'' Heims and instead of DOM I decided to to do aluminum links since I could build my own. I've also went ahead and put the axles under the Jeep. I'm looking to be right around 116'' wheel base now as apposed to the 102'' I had originally planned. I figured a set of 43'' tires would look a little funny at 102''.
DSC00782.JPG

I didn't say they were mounted yet. Just under it.:D
As of now I've just got the lower links done. I'm going to get them mounted up and see where the top ones need to be before I build them. It takes a little more to do aluminum links as opposed to just welding bungs in DOM. So I'm going to make sure I do them right the first time.

I'm still not 100% sure if I'm wanting to 3 link or 4 link the front. What do ya'll think? I'm leaning more toward 3 link just to be a little more simple. I know they both work well but I think the 3 link would be better for my 6.0 swap in the future. When I say future it may be done before it rolls out of the garage the first time. The way I've changed my mind there is no telling what I'll do next.

Last edited:
As you can see in a couple previous pics I've went w/ Blue Torch Fab rocker and comp cut armor.
I did add my own rock sliders. Instead of the .120 wall we discussed earlier in the thread I went w/ .188 wall 1 1/2''. I think that should take some rock abuse.

You have probably also noticed that I did a CJ conversion on the front clip. I just couldn't stand looking at those square headlights anymore. I guess I'm just a round headlight kind of guy. Another thing is I had just bought a brand new radiator for the CJ just before I tore it down and it wouldn't fit in the YJ grill. I used the old hood and grill from my 5 and went w/ BTF tube fenders.
It took quite a bit of work to get everything right on the front end but I'm super happy w/ how it turned out.
DSC00754.JPG
DSC00755.JPG

I also got my cage pretty much finished and welded up except maybe a couple more braces. I just don't know where to put the braces. If yall have suggestions let me know. I'm also trying to figure out if I want a windshield spreader or not. I built some nice little braces for the A pilar on the cage to tie it into the frame. I thinik they will hold up just fine. On the rear I just tubed it straight to the frame but sadly that will probably be changed because I think I will cut the rear of the frame off and tube it just depending on where and how my strut hoops need to be.

DSC00756.JPG
DSC00757.JPG
DSC00760.JPG

This build is going alot slower than I thought it was going to but in the end I think I will be much happier w/ some of the changes I have made. I just had to have a little time to save up for a few things. I've got lots of parts laying in the garage and even more on order. I just don't have alot of time to assemble the puzzle.

I have more done and will report on it at a later. I'm open to everyone's ideas and opinions so tell me what you think.

It's past my bed time. :D

Looking great! Do you do landscaping because you sir have quite a few shovels and rakes.

Edit: BTW, those seats look REALLY comfortable. I may have to give Oliver's a call.

Back