The life of a RZR 900 4 EPS

89wrangler

Not a new member
Figured I would make a thread on this. Bought it awhile back to try the side by side thing. It is a 2016, has over $12k in add on parts, gear reductions, Hill killer front diff, custom cage, bead locks, 32” Evil tires, lights inside and out, HD prop shafts, billet carrier bearing, aftermarket assassin's clutch, 2.0 axles with spares, high clearance arms, HD ball joints, LED headlights, fire suppression system, winch, windshield, stereo with sub, 6 way harnesses to name a few. It has been well cared for and service regularly according to previous owner. From tear down, it appears he was correct.
Here are a few pic
IMG_1625.jpeg

IMG_1627.jpeg

IMG_1636.jpeg

IMG_1632.jpeg

Thought about buying a cheaper one and building, but getting older and too many projects and this one was priced in line with most stock one I was looking at that were a couple years newer. Overall it was a smoking deal with all the mods.
Stay tuned, to see how the “first get to know it” ride went. Most probably know from another thread, but we get more in depth in this thread.

So, we finally had a chance to take it for a “test run” to a small local park literally 5 miles from the house. Get there and unload, go into office to pay and get a map. No maps, he says trails are marked, green, blue, black. I really was not worried about any of the blacks, but just wanted to ride around and get a feel for the RZR. I also wanted to avoid the deep mud holes because, well I hate mud. We venture off into the trails and most are uphill and downhill. First thing we noticed is that the exhaust is extremely loud. Way too loud for our liking so that will need addressed.
On the trail, Needless to say the were not marked very well. And we end up on black trails. Steep hill climbs with deep ruts and l ledges. No biggy, pretty fun. Ran into two mud holes that were unavailable as well. Ended up on trail that was steep with a 90 degree turn next to a tree with Deep ruts. Hammer on it a little to make the turn, but not enough, get hung up. Figured, just back up and get another run. Nope, would not back up. I thought that is weird. Got out and looked, nothing in my opinion holding me up. So I figured need more throttle. Well it finally moved as well as a loud clunk for a lack of better word. Still wasn’t going to go forward, so I winched it out of the ruts. Looking back probably should have done that to begin with. Get to top and ran into a dead end. Turned around and found another way out. Now I have a bad clunk clunk while driving. My goaI is to get down the mountain to the trailer. Long story short, after two more blacks and a blue, made it to the trailer.
Back at home, after more investigation, determined it was in the transmission. After some utube videos, out comes the transmission which is not a fun job.
IMG_2006.jpeg

IMG_2004.jpeg

After the tear down
IMG_2045.jpeg

I find this.
IMG_2042.jpeg

IMG_2044.jpeg

IMG_2043.jpeg

Then, after disassembly of the snorkel gear on the output shaft I find this.
IMG_2086.jpeg

This just got extremely expensive. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Yup, I know that very well now. Not sure it there was not a small issue prior to the failure. I ordered new HD shafts and gears along with a new snorkel bearing and all new seals.
Had to pulled the gear gear and bearing off the main shaft. This $40 Amazon gear puller is nice. Good quality.
IMG_2091.jpeg

IMG_2089.jpeg

Got everything dissembled.
IMG_2092.jpeg

New parts assembled and ready to go back in.
IMG_2108.jpeg

Here is the "heavy duty" retainer ring they sent for "free" . Must have sent the wrong one as it was only a 1/4" thick and mine was 3/8".
IMG_2105.jpeg

Assembly and install.
Note to self or anyone else. Hook up your prop shaft prior to bolting up transmission. If not you will have to remove it from the front diff to get it installed. :rolleyes:
IMG_2114.jpeg

IMG_2116.jpeg

IMG_2117.jpeg

IMG_2118.jpeg

IMG_2120.jpeg

IMG_2121.jpeg

IMG_2124.jpeg

IMG_2122.jpeg

IMG_2126.jpeg

All buttoned up, no noises or vibrations and ready to ride again. Hope next rides goes a little better :laughing:
IMG_2127.jpeg

Last edited:
Back