That's what friends are for.

lomodyj

As some of you know, last Monday I was haulin' ash down through West (by God) Virginia on my way home from Camp Jeep (in Wisconsin). I was 11 hours into the trip and had a little over 4 left to go. I decided to not stop and get a room for the night...I put the hammer down and knew I'd be home by about 0100 on Tuesday...Get to sleep in the same bed as my wife for the first time in 10 days.

Just north of Beckley the truck lost all kinds of power...then it started making lots of noise, and then the smoke...Not sure what I did to it, but for sure, I let the magic smoke out of it.

Had to keep rolling another 7 miles or so to a rest area. Had to get to a phone...WV has nothing for cell service along the toll road.

Got to the rest area, call the wife and said "trip over". Curled up in the cab and got some sleep, long, restless, uncomfortable night. Got set up for a tow to a dealer in Oak Hill in the morning. Long and slow ride in the tow truck, him pulling my CTD along with the YJ on the trailer.

At the dealer I pulled the YJ off the trailer and moved the camping gear around. Pointed the Jeep towards Chapel Hill and started the longest ride, on the street, the YJ's had in about 4 years. BTW, unballanced swampers suck big time on the highway...

4.5 hours later I was pulling into my driveway...I felt as though I had done more abuse to the YJ in that one drive, than all the abuse I've ever given it on the trails. My body was beated and battered, and I felt I had been to a bad Chinese masage.

Through some very fortunate postings on this board, I had a new to me CTD motor delivered to my door on Friday night. Now all I had to do was get the Dodge and the trailer home.

Jon Loughry, probably one of the best friends you could find, offered up his truck, his 18 ft trailer and his time...So the recover was on. Sunday Morning at Oh-dark-thirty he rolled out of Raleigh headed towards me, picked me up in Chapel Hill and shot on up to WV. 5 hours later we were all loaded and getting really nervous. The CTD barely fit on the trailer, and it looked like we were flexing his deck some. No easy points on the truck for tie downs, so we had to invent some crazy strapping.

Jon rolled out from the dealership, white knuckled and worried. That pig is heavy...and it was doing some bouncing on the trailer. Stopped and tried to pull the front end down some and take out some bounce. That helped...Rolled all the way to the fuel station at Graham where we put another 30 gallons of Diesel in and just for fun weighed the rig...I think Jon would have pulled the truck off the trailer at that point and said..."You are on you own...", but no, we climbed back in and rolled the last 20 miles home...Knowing that we were about 5000#'s over his tags...(who knew that my truck weighed that much!)

The CTD is sitting in the driveway now...There's a long block sitting in the garage...and my Wife really doesn't sound all that pissed that instead of going to Hawaii this year...I got a new motor...(hopefully that lasts...)

It is expected that Keith will be picking up my trailer on his way home from Michigan today...We will have to see how it does behind his MiMiVan...If it doesn't pull well, I'll grab the neighbors Denali in the morning and head back up to recover it.

A huge thanks to Mr. Gadget for dragging my junk home. You are truely a good friend. I owe you.

Dodge003.jpg

Wow, that sucks.
Great friend though.
Do you think the motor's demise had anything to do with the grease experiment?

In case you have not checked......when running grease it is not uncommon to suddenly plug up those filters due to substandard grease quality. When this happens it will smoke alot and lose all its power. It happened to me for the first time in a long time last weekend coming home from URE. There is nothing like sitting on the side of 85 changing smelly nasty filters to get back home.

Don't think it had anything to do with the grease. Dealer called on Friday afternoon late (after doing nothing since Tuesday morning) and said I had "internal damage", I've been pawing around the motor this morning...can't see where anything on it has been touched since I left it in WV...It's blowing a bunch of smoke, it's starting hard and it "rattles" more when running...but doesn't sound all that horrible right now. I'm gonna check filters, maybe pull the #5 injector and see if it has compression...(#5 is where I've got some fluid leaking at the exhaust manifold gasket).

I got to experience the 4wd board Family like this one time too. It's a good feeling knowing there's good people out there ready to help.

I broke down in my '98 ZJ a few years back coming home from Florida for Christmas. Had the family with me, and it was cold. Made it to about Columbia when (what ended up being) the Viscous coupler in the T-case went out. It was 0-dark thirty, Called wbcarver at 4am, to diagnose the issue. he jumped on the boards, and had someone neither of us had met before, show up at the truck stop with a truck adn trailer to haul us on up to Charlotte. He wouldn't take my offering for fuel, so I slipped in the gas station before him and paid it. MY ARSE you're not gonna take some form of payment!

hope all turns out well with your rig. hope it's just filters!

what did the new engine set you back ? Just curious for future U-haul upgrades :)

New "used" for $1200 complete. Come out of a big truck:rolleyes:
I was going to get it for a buggy but he needed it more.:shaking:

I think it is toast would bet the #5 piston but we will see?
Like he said "hard start, lot of smoke, oil all over everthing, diesel/fry oil in the oil.... Sad day we lost a CTD in the world today....

His truck should be around 7500#.. Mine is 7840, (4x4 + the bambi-slayer bumper adding weight)

Helluva story...

What were EGT's when it started acting up?

What were EGT's when it started acting up?

To high :lol: :bounce: He is post turbo thinking 950 6" after EB add 300 or so
Around 1250-1300 for a little to long.

I know my trailer is 2200-2500 and I had maybe 800-900 TW and the scale showed 9660lb truck 9940lb for the trailer.
That would be something like 9940trailer + 800tw = 10740lbgross - trailer 2200lb = 8540 lb so I would say the load was between 8000-8500 total truck and any gear.
He did have some junk in it and a 90 gal ? steel tank if I remember and a few 3-4, 35gal tanks + fuel so I don't know how much weight was in that but I would say I got it close to 8500lb

You boys and your light weight trucks, mine, empty, half fuel, me out of cab, 10,500.

But, good friends that help out when times are rough are wonderful.

To high :lol: :bounce: He is post turbo thinking 950 6" after EB add 300 or so
Around 1250-1300 for a little to long.

One guy on the DTR was doing some pulling and had 2 EGT gauges - one pre, one post turbo. His post turbo was reading 950°. pre-turbo was 1500°.

Bet you're gonna drill the manifold this time...

I thought your CTD was stock?

One guy on the DTR was doing some pulling and had 2 EGT gauges - one pre, one post turbo. His post turbo was reading 950°. pre-turbo was 1500°.
Bet you're gonna drill the manifold this time...

Mine is stock his has some hop ups and it was already done up when he got it.
He was going off what people say between 300-350 from what he was told but who knows when you get something used it could have been hurt bad and fixed or hurt and needing help and it just took a crap.
Jon

Just wanted again to thank Jon...He came by my house again this morning for a reprise of the truck rescue. Hauled me back up to WV to pick up my trailer and drive it back...What a guy. Thanks man.

Now, that's a friend. Sorry to hear about the hard luck, but a good story.

Don't know all that's been done to it. I've added a 4" exhuast. I think my plate has been slid forward, and/or screws changed. The original owner used this truck to haul a huge 5th wheel camper, he put all the goodies on it (aux 50 gal tank, EB, brake line modulators...). But I've never opened it up to see if it has a different plate. I've only driven a couple other CTD's...Kieth's and it's all kinds of Bombed and another that was about to lay down at 400k+miles. So I have no comparison.

Back