Thanksgiving, who's cooking what and how

We're hosting this year for the first time. My mom is bringing sweet potato casserole, chicken dressing (my dad's mom's recipe), & spiral sliced ham. Turkey is in the brine, we'll roast it tomorrow in the oven (I want to smoke one or pit roast one, maybe next year). Neck and giblets are simmering for the gravy. We'll have mashed potatoes, steamed green beans, hoppin' john, rice, glazed carrots, & yeast rolls. Sausage balls and mimosas for morning snacks and pumpkin pie & apple strudel with whipped cream for dessert.

Hell yeah mimosas. That's my plan too. I ended up with a bunch of free Korbel this week, so it's getting enjoyed.

Why does it never occur to me to get oysters for the grill? Every year I kick myself since I don't have the oyster connections from Charleston any more.

Just a warning in advance: if any of you dumb fuckers burn down your house this weekend while trying to fry a turkey, I will laugh at you.

I might feel a little guilty, but I will definitely laugh.

Go for it. Prep bird, dry it VERY well and let it set for 30 minutes.
Heat oil to 350 degrees, Turn off burner, lower bird in oil and relight burner. 3 minutes per pound + 5 minutes= perfection!
Must drink beer during cooking process or the turkey Spirits will be pissed off.
Remove and let rest 30 minutes. Drink another beer and serve the fried turkey.
Carve and enjoy!
And enjoy the satisfaction of doing it the hard way.
Happy Thanksgiving you bunch of losers.
Who happen to be my friends!
:beer:

I have mine brine made up and will let it soak overnight. Then dry and follow your directions. Thank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a warning in advance: if any of you dumb fuckers burn down your house this weekend while trying to fry a turkey, I will laugh at you.

I might feel a little guilty, but I will definitely laugh.
Piss off hater.
Go eat some alfalfa sprouts and tofu.
Yet another Hillary supporter trying to oppress me....

IMG_20161123_211453499.jpg

This is my oven this holiday weekend. A simple iron grate over a campfire.
Veggie goulash, smoked sweet taters and a fatty ribeye going down tomorrow.
Undisclosed location but I hear the ocean waves in the background. I'll take it!

We're hosting this year for the first time. My mom is bringing sweet potato casserole, chicken dressing (my dad's mom's recipe), & spiral sliced ham. Turkey is in the brine, we'll roast it tomorrow in the oven (I want to smoke one or pit roast one, maybe next year). Neck and giblets are simmering for the gravy. We'll have mashed potatoes, steamed green beans, hoppin' john, rice, glazed carrots, & yeast rolls. Sausage balls and mimosas for morning snacks and pumpkin pie & apple strudel with whipped cream for dessert.
I'm just one town over this weekend. Let me know what time you're serving :p

Me and the wife are hosting for the first time as well this year. It's turned out to be quite expensive and sort of stressful.

Good, come over at 10 and you can help Shawn take off the chipper blades to be sharpened!

I thought you were talking about Thanksgiving for a second. I was wondering what kind of dinner preparation involved getting the chipper blades sharpened. You guys are apparently on a different plane of hardcore holiday cooking. :D

All the important stuff is done. By that, I mean all of the dessert dishes.

Fresh marshmallows rolled in toasted coconut are ready to go. Nothing better with a cup of coffee. They just melt in your mouth...

I can't say that the lighting in the picture makes them look especially appealing though. Oh well.

Marshmallow.jpg

Turkey in an apple cider herb brine, chicken legs in a beer brine, meatloaf resting in the fridge... and the pit fires up at 8 tomorrow morning over hickory.

I was wondering what kind of dinner preparation involved getting the chipper blades sharpened. You guys are apparently on a different plane of hardcore holiday cooking. :D

I kind of read it as: "If you show up uninvited, the rest of NC4x4 will be watching something about a 'wood chipper accident' on the 5 o'clock news."

What's this "brine" y'all speak of? Is it a southern thing or what? We haven't ever brined any turkeys in our family. Most of my family are displaced northerners so I'm assuming brining the turkey is a southern thing?

I've never done it and it's turned out really good every time. Even in the smoker.

What's this "brine" y'all speak of? Is it a southern thing or what? We haven't ever brined any turkeys in our family. Most of my family are displaced northerners so I'm assuming brining the turkey is a southern thing?

I've never done it and it's turned out really good every time. Even in the smoker.

Not sure on origin but, having never cooked a whole turkey myself, if Alton Brown says do it I give it a try. I've had a lot of oven-roasted turkey that was pretty bad... not 'Christmas Vacation' bad, but definitely very dry. It may not be so much about the brine as it is about a lack of a proper thermometer, so we have one of those too.

You're welcome to bring up your smoker and we'll do one of each! :D

SO let me start off by saying to NEVER put a frozen turkey or even a wet turkey in a fryer, I hope everyone got my sarcasm in my original post, I don't want to see anyone get hurt.

As far as brine, it helps keep the meat tender and juicy while also adding a little flavor. A simple brine is 1 part sugar to 1 part salt, dissolved in water. Turkey and chicken brine very well, and some of your professional barbecuers brine pork loins and brisket as well.

Me and the wife are hosting for the first time as well this year. It's turned out to be quite expensive and sort of stressful.

You will get used to it. This is our third year hosting Thanksgiving.

It's optional. This is the first time I have done it. I seen several recipes call for it. In my learnings of smoking meet there are recipes and meats that suggest soaking in a brine as well. Hope I don't ruin it! [emoji51]

The big Bird has been in the oven since 545.

This guy will be going for a swim in about an hour.
20161124_100615.jpg

I'm not a brine guy. Lots of cayenne, crushed red, paprika , basil and a few other fun ingredients . after I coat the bird I dump about 5 tbs in side.

This also seasons the oil .

Saturday we will deep frying chicken wings in the seasoned oil and have a low County boil before watching a football game

BTW yes I know it's 1015 in the morning, but it's a day for giving thanks. So while I fry my turkey in shorts and flip flips I'm enjoying a
1480000634040-1353055657.jpg

Back