• Other...explain please

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All of the above

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

frankenyoter

No Rain, No Rainbow
So how do you cook the turkey for Thanksgiving?

Methods and concepts abound. When it gets down to it, how do you pepare and cook the bird? Please share recipes and tricks! Any awesome side recipies?

I personally will probably cook a bird even if its just my wife and two kids at the table. I enjoy the process and the challenge of having a delicious turkey and meal. I brine mine for several days, rub and pack herbs under the skin and smoke it

:nopics:

Last edited:
My best way is in the ground.
Dig a hole 36x72x24 deep
Fill it full of good hard wood that will make good long lasting embers and let burn for the day and keep feeding it.
Get the biggest bird you can for me that is 3 or 4 of them because others will want one when they hear about it.
I then raid the cabinet with whatever seasonings I think will be good and dump them into a tub of butter. Next take a big fork and stab the bird a few hundred times. Rub the bird down good with the butter and pack whatever butter is left inside the bird. Wrap the bird in a good layer of foil (THE WHOLE DAMM BOX)and then make a 4 way harness with metal coat hangers or something like tig filler rod if your like me you need to attach a long rod with a grab loop straight up so you can locate your bird after cooking. I like to cook breast down so keep that in mind when you put your grab handle on.
at about midnight dig a hole in one side of the embers halfway down and place the bird in the inferno. Shovel all of the embers from the other end of the hole up on top of your bird and then a good layer of dirt to hold in the heat. Your bird will be ready to locate the grab handle and dig up around 10am. Get ready for the the juicy goodness that will pour out when you cut into it.
No moisture or flavor can escape cooking it in the ground.
Frankenyoter swing by the shop and I'll tell you better details.

Just gonna bake mine in the roaster this year. Few days in the brine and a few hours in the oven followed by a few minutes at 450 to crisp the skin. Comes out perfect every time.

Dig a hole 36x72x24 deep
Fill it full of good hard wood that will make good long lasting embers and let burn for the day and keep feeding it.
Get the biggest bird you can for me that is 3 or 4 of them because others will want one when they hear about it.
I then raid the cabinet with whatever seasonings I think will be good and dump them into a tub of butter. Next take a big fork and stab the bird a few hundred times. Rub the bird down good with the butter and pack whatever butter is left inside the bird. Wrap the bird in a good layer of foil (THE WHOLE DAMM BOX)and then make a 4 way harness with metal coat hangers or something like tig filler rod if your like me you need to attach a long rod with a grab loop straight up so you can locate your bird after cooking. I like to cook breast down so keep that in mind when you put your grab handle on.
at about midnight dig a hole in one side of the embers halfway down and place the bird in the inferno. Shovel all of the embers from the other end of the hole up on top of your bird and then a good layer of dirt to hold in the heat. Your bird will be ready to locate the grab handle and dig up around 10am. Get ready for the the juicy goodness that will pour out when you cut into it.

That qualifies as other!

Sounds great Chris. I'll have to check that out.

So how do you cook the turkey for Thanksgiving?

Methods and concepts abound. When it gets down to it, how do you pepare and cook the bird? Please share recipes and tricks! Any awesome side recipies?

I personally will probably cook a bird even if its just my wife and two kids at the table. I enjoy the process and the challenge of having a delicious turkey and meal. I brine mine for several days, rub and pack herbs under the skin and smoke it

:nopics:

My wife has done the brine soaking thing a few times. Always turns out great. We have 15 people coming to our house this year, so I am sure she is planning on a buying a big ole bird.

I don't cook at all. Never have, and probably never will. I ate lots of frozen dinners before I met my wife, lol.

IMG_20151122_182928054.jpg
Just cooked up a brine its cooling on the porch. Going to let it rest for a day and then brine for 48hrs. Then dry rub and let rest for 12hrs before off to the smoker.

Last edited:
Dig a hole 36x72x24 deep

I have cooked hogs this way but never thought about a bird. Bet it's good.

We are going to have 15 people at our house this Thanksgiving. My wife bought a 21 lb bird and cooked up the brine solution today too.

We oven roast one and deep fry one.

Back