Thanksgiving Dinner

upnover

Grumpy, decrepit Old Man
Who's cooking? who's traveling?

I myself, am cooking. Started doing this many years ago when I only had visitation with my kids, and had to share holidays. I cooked, and everyone came here to save me from having to take all my time with the kids traveling around.

My menu is simple. I try to have something that everyone eats, and not have so much left over. Yet, I always seem to eat leftovers for days.

This year, just a big Turkey breast instead of the whole thing
Spiral cut ham
Green Beans
Corn (both on and off the cob)
Mashed potatoes
Twice baked potatoes
Deviled eggs
Cole Slaw
Biscuits
Stuffing
Tea

I know I will still eat left overs, always cook more than I need to, but I would hate for anyone to leave hungry.

We're having Susan's family over, her brother and his family just moved close by, possibly my family, not sure yet. I'm going to put a turking in the smoker early Thursday morning and hickory smoke it all day. Usually I just fry one, but wanted to do something different this year.

I'm going to mom's. It'll be her, my sis, and mom's tenant who lives in an apartment at her place. Then off to a turkey shoot!

I'm cooking, kids are coming and wifes brother's family:

3 football games
Fried Turkey
Sweet Potato Casserole with marshmallows
LeSeur Peas
Dressing
Rice & Gravy
Cranberry Sauce
Pineapple Casserole
Yeast Rolls
Pecan Pie
Sweet Tea

man all u guys get cool shit 2 do i have to drive to IRWIN, NC. its the most boring place EVER, but it will hopefully be ok cause my girlfriend is comin with me this year :)

going to mom's...if food is involved, that's where we go...

my mother-in-law understands this...and they even show up sometimes...

reason is, my mom has been a cook for the last 25 years or so, and can throw down in a kitchen...I have many people that have said it's so good it'll make you want to slap your momma (but I ain't trying it)...

not sure exactly what's on the menu...but I know there will be plenty...

I heard discussion of turkey, fried okra and candied yams...not sure how long the list will be...

Greg

Damn Chip !!! pull up 2 more chairs, I know where were going :D

Me and the wife are staying in this year (not traveling to NY), we discussed cooking a meal as the wife loves to cook, but with just the 2 of us, i hate to see her go through so much work, so we are planing to head to O'Charlies, they have a Thanksgiving day type dinner.

Anyone with out anythig to do who wants to tag along, head on up to my house.. probably headed to O'Cs about 2-3ish..

We're getting together at my Mom's for a good feast - gonna be my wife and I, my oldest brother, sister, & niece, and then visit my Father for another Turkey meal later.
Menu at Mom's:
Fried Turkey
Baked Turkey w/stuffing
Homemade gravy
Mashed Taters
Sweet Potato Casserole w/marshmallows
Greenbean Casserole
Venison Stew (Thanks Franklin!)
Cranberry Sauce
& PIES
Maybe a Rum Cake (we'll see if the wife wants to make that)

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!!!

Gonna smoke the turkey for the 2nd year in a row along with homemade:

Bread stuffing
Cornbread stuffing
Candied yams
Green bean casserole
Cranberry sauce
Pumpkin pie
Mashed potatoes
Gravy
Rolls

It will be great the first couple of days and then punishment every day thereafter.

I'm off all week. I am going to hunt all week. I may be traveling to Burlington to 'help' with the leftovers at my girlfriend's house on thursday night. :D

<><Fish ...but mostly Hunt >>>-----> this week!

I'll be working, 12.5hrs at that. Straight time+overtime+holiday pay=me eating friday.:beer:

I'll be headed toward Shelby. Thanksgiving has always been had down at my great uncles house in Shelby while Christmas gatherings are held here at my grandmother's.

Heading to the parent in laws. I'll be cooking for wednesday night, the women folk are cooking for thursday.

I am doing bacon wrapped shrimp, fried oysters, fried okra, steamed asparagus, and a frosty beverage or 14.:flipoff2:

Mom's flying in from Vegas and Brother is flying in from Michigan. My Girlfriend is paranoid cause she has never made a Turkey and has never met my mom..........I will be cooking the turkey!
My wife met her in-laws to be the evening before the wedding! You're doing good to get them together beforehand. As for us, we're going to my wife's aunt and uncle's place in Burlington. I think they're having turkey, but I might be surprised. They tend to eat, uh, shall we say, odd things.

My wife and I will be heading to MD to my parents this year (we do the alternating between the parents) and we probably won't have much of the more southern stuff: ex. biscuits, tea, fried okra. But we'll definitly be having some good turkey, probably both mashed potatoes and candied sweet potatoes, and since somebody here mentioned rum cake, I might offer to make one too.

And a damn good one too! Late night breakfast at Andy's diner are THE best!

Back